News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2019-20 Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
July 10 is the tentative Date for opening “training camps”

safe to say next season won’t start until maybe January.

If they push it back far enough the NHL players can finally go to the Olympics without interfering with the season when the time comes!

Reactions: SI90 and xECK29x

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I am interpreting that the plan is to have the Stanley played out by mid-September, then have the season start before November.

Things such as an All-Star break etc. will then be cut out.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I am interpreting that the plan is to have the Stanley played out by mid-September, then have the season start before November.

Things such as an All-Star break etc. will then be cut out.

I would be very surprised (and happy) if the season starts in November, let alone BEFORE November.

I have no issues with having a hockey season start around Thanksgiving and end in the middle of the summer, but the main problem is going to be once fans are introduced back in the ice is going to be absolutely awful. I still have not heard a reasonable answer for how to fix this.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I would be very surprised (and happy) if the season starts in November, let alone BEFORE November.

I have no issues with having a hockey season start around Thanksgiving and end in the middle of the summer, but the main problem is going to be once fans are introduced back in the ice is going to be absolutely awful. I still have not heard a reasonable answer for how to fix this.

PVC pipes?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I’ll take your word for it. I can’t read the article because I cancelled my subscription to The Athletic in February.

Interestingly, the Devils' deal with Kovalchuk was deemed the worst (Lamoriello was the GM).

But that naturally could have happened to anyone. Still rough to think that your star player who is earning 10 MM per just picks up and heads out after two seasons.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Given the debt owed on the Coliseum, the lenders wanting to recoup whatever they can, and the state and counties interest in keeping the venue viable; I would think that they should all try to work together to keep the Islanders there for as many games as possible.

Of course, that would require concessions and common sense, which is typically lost under these circumstances. Especially since political parties and opportunists will probably let ego get in the way.

It is amazing that the NBA and politicians repeatedly failed to see the dangers of dealing with someone like Prokhorov. The guy makes money for himself and leaves disaster in his wake. He is all about spectacle and a quick flip so he can cash out.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Given the debt owed on the Coliseum, the lenders wanting to recoup whatever they can, and the state and counties interest in keeping the venue viable; I would think that they should all try to work together to keep the Islanders there for as many games as possible.

Of course, that would require concessions and common sense, which is typically lost under these circumstances. Especially since political parties and opportunists will probably let ego get in the way.

It is amazing that the NBA and politicians repeatedly failed to see the dangers of dealing with someone like Prokhorov. The guy makes money for himself and leaves disaster in his wake. He is all about spectacle and a quick flip so he can cash out.
The county didn’t originally start out dealing with Prokhorov. He bought out Forest City Ratner and Bruce Ratner as his partner when he wanted to get out. So Prokhorov ended up with the Nets, Barclays, and the Coliseum lease.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
The county didn’t originally start out dealing with Prokhorov. He bought out Forest City Ratner and Bruce Ratner as his partner when he wanted to get out. So Prokhorov ended up with the Nets, Barclays, and the Coliseum lease.

Talk about having a losing hand.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

That is very interesting, if only because the Coliseum contract was then assigned to Prokhorov as part of the overall deal and ownership transfer.

You would think that the assignment would have been in full accordance with the original contract terms, negotiated between the county and Ratner.

So, if Prokhorov can indeed legally shutter the Coliseum and abandon his responsibilities, then presumably the county did a poor job negotiating the original agreement or it was modified as part of the assignment.

Given the stakes to the county, with the debt outlay and monetary expenditures, it should have been ironclad. Presumably even with the suspension of activities and income due to Covid.

It should really make for a fascinating case and litigation, assuming it isn't just posturing for some concessions or bargaining power. I bet municipalities with arenas/stadiums and their lawyers are revisiting contracts right now and pouring over the fine print.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
That is very interesting, if only because the Coliseum contract was then assigned to Prokhorov as part of the overall deal and ownership transfer.

You would think that the assignment would have been in full accordance with the original contract terms, negotiated between the county and Ratner.

So, if Prokhorov can indeed legally shutter the Coliseum and abandon his responsibilities, then presumably the county did a poor job negotiating the original agreement or it was modified as part of the assignment.

Given the stakes to the county, with the debt outlay and monetary expenditures, it should have been ironclad. Presumably even with the suspension of activities and income due to Covid.

It should really make for a fascinating case and litigation, assuming it isn't just posturing for some concessions or bargaining power. I bet municipalities with arenas/stadiums and their lawyers are revisiting contracts right now and pouring over the fine print.

Not sure if the play here is some hope the County will help out with some of that debt or let Onexim off the hook for its obligation to run the place, or both.

Either way I agree what the County does next is going to be very interesting.

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Not sure if the play here is some hope the County will help out with some of that debt or let Onexim off the hook for its obligation to run the place, or both.

Either way I agree what the County does next is going to be very interesting.

Agreed, I assume it is a way to test the waters to either try to gain concessions (from the County and/or debt holders) or try to have the agreement outright terminated.

Presumably the County will be issuing a formal letter shortly in response, to try and hold them to their obligations.

It is going to be a tough spot for all involved to come up with a mutually-agreeable plan in this environment.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Agreed, I assume it is a way to test the waters to either try to gain concessions (from the County and/or debt holders) or try to have the agreement outright terminated.

Presumably the County will be issuing a formal letter shortly in response, to try and hold them to their obligations.

It is going to be a tough spot for all involved to come up with a mutually-agreeable plan in this environment.

One thing is that as the losses from the shutdown mount, I don't think it will be in anyone's interest for that building to sit empty if the state allow for events next year. The County will need all the revenue it can get. Lenders won't want to have to go through the hassle of enforcing debt collection if they can avoid it. So with the time we have until any potential fans in seats, I think it's likely to be worked out.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
“According the lawsuit, players in the class were, among other things, forced to masturbate in front of teammates and coaches and forced to sexually assault teammates, to consume saliva, urine, semen and feces of other players and to sexually engage with animals”

Jesus. I can only image what else is going to come out now.
https://thehockeynews.com/news/arti...-against-junior-hockey-in-newly-filed-lawsuit
More explosive and shocking allegations against junior hockey in newly filed lawsuit - TheHockeyNews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad