News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2019-20 Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think it is absolutely ridiculous how many people are trashing the Isles on twitter about their statement. I personally do not see anything wrong with it. Lee's message is better and much more specific, but there is nothing in the Isles statement that is nearly offensive to the level people are making it out to be. Just absurd.
I didn't really feel any which way on the Isles statement, I thought it addressed the problem by saying they support cops that don't target by color. Anders Lee just knocked it out the park. More props to him but I don't get why the team got blasted.

But twitter mob is a real thing. And that's why I don't twitter.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah but I am seeing many people saying I am not going to be a fan anymore of the team and I am like huh!!?? First of all they were probably not fans to begin with, but there is nothing, absolutely nothing in that statement that comes close to the level of me reconsidering my fandom of the Isles. There are plenty of other reasons I would do that, haha, this was not one of them.

You're 100% right. If everything leading up to right now hasn't pushed you away from this team and that statement was the tipping point, good riddance. :laugh:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I think it is absolutely ridiculous how many people are trashing the Isles on twitter about their statement. I personally do not see anything wrong with it. Lee's message is better and much more specific, but there is nothing in the Isles statement that is nearly offensive to the level people are making it out to be. Just absurd.

Not a Dolan fan, but I like the way he handled. He didn't send out a team message at all from the Knicks, and then sent an internal message telling employees they are in the business of sports and entertainment, and they'll just keep responses handled by people in the know.

He's still getting crap for it as well, but I just found my self shaking my head in agreement. I really don't need to hear what the Islanders have to say, or any other sports team for that matter.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I can say this with absolute certainty: the Islanders' statement will go no further in resolving or complicating the problem of racism than the statement of any other sports organization. Tavares' statement was way more insipid, but I guess safe is the way to go....

It would be nice if it were possible that we could have an actual, constructive conversation on race without special interests and silencers short-circuiting it before it got started....

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I didn't really feel any which way on the Isles statement, I thought it addressed the problem by saying they support cops that don't target by color. Anders Lee just knocked it out the park. More props to him but I don't get why the team got blasted.

It's a very real, and often, quite disturbing thing.

Going through Twitter can be extremely depressing in many ways and airing your opinion on something is opening a virtual gateway to this form of mobbing.

Twitter is also emblematic of the incredible need people have to involve themselves in senseless battles of one-upmanship, find some/any form of recognition and self-worth, and often, just spout out disinformation for the sake of reveling in the ensuing chaos.

Sadly, it's also the number 1 tool/source of "education" for what is likely millions of people around the globe. You can't even just stick to sports or whatever you're interested in, because half the sources you may follow are constantly retweeting the primarily political or societal-commenting tweets of others, often straight from politicians and celebrities, who harbor whatever agenda or train of thought they get behind.

If a person has any form of psychological instability or insecurity, entering the realm of Twitter is basically a move towards his/her final execution.:help:

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005

There's a lot of hate on Twitter, but it's 1000% better than Facebook. I usually only go on twitter for sports news and for some video game news.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
There's a lot of hate on Twitter, but it's 1000% better than Facebook. I usually only go on twitter for sports news and for some video game news.
That I'm on even less lol.

I try and mute/block twitter accounts so it stays on hockey news and mma news.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
sucks because with his size and skating ability that’s usually a dream player on the blue line. Shows that it takes a lot more than physical tools to play the game.
Particularly on D. Forwards can get away on just talent a lot easier than defencemen can.

Reactions: SI90

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
sucks because with his size and skating ability that’s usually a dream player on the blue line. Shows that it takes a lot more than physical tools to play the game.

The thing here is that I'm not quite sure it's the Rangers who want to quit on him.

It may very well be coming from his side, and since he's not lighting the world on fire in an organization that is now pretty stacked with D prospects, the organization is happy to oblige.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
20200609_212414.jpg

Reactions: SI90

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Sports are purely entertainment, and the fact so many people are acting like a professional sports team has to have this incredible message on every topic is so petty. As if people have been pieces of .... their whole life, but they suddenly turned it around because of a tweet the Islanders sent out.

Honestly, I got rid of Twitter and Facebook about a week ago and, without a word of lie, my overall mood has improved immensely.

Reactions: Quicklime

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Twitter is a cesspool. I have never joined in the past and, while it might be good for breaking sports news, I would rather get it from my (mostly sane) message board friends, lol.

I am on FB and messanger primarily because those are the platforms used by the animal rescue groups I work with, to coordinate events and transports.

If it wasn't for that, I would be a lot less active. I am not on any other social media, doesn't seem like it is worth the headache, frustration and stream of bad news and arguments. Life is too short.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I never understood the draw of Twitter. It it's initial iteration, it was like Facebook, but no pictures or video and it had a character word limit. I couldn't, for the life of me, understood why anybody would use it compared to the already SNS ingrained Facebook. It was like going to McDonald's but only allowing you to choose from french fries or french fries.

Last time I tried to use Twitter I got yelled at because somebody didn't understand why I retweeted something instead of doing some reply or whatever it was. I have no idea how to use it correctly. Facebook seems so much more simpler to me, but I guess it's possible Facebook was a little confusing in the beginning. I just didn't see the need for Twitter, and I still don't. I like to write and explain myself. I don't like feeling pressure to be terse.

Reactions: danteipp

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I never understood the draw of Twitter. It it's initial iteration, it was like Facebook, but no pictures or video and it had a character word limit. I couldn't, for the life of me, understood why anybody would use it compared to the already SNS ingrained Facebook. It was like going to McDonald's but only allowing you to choose from french fries or french fries.

Last time I tried to use Twitter I got yelled at because somebody didn't understand why I retweeted something instead of doing some reply or whatever it was. I have no idea how to use it correctly. Facebook seems so much more simpler to me, but I guess it's possible Facebook was a little confusing in the beginning. I just didn't see the need for Twitter, and I still don't. I like to write and explain myself. I don't like feeling pressure to be terse.

Good source for some news, an absolute abomination for anything else (besides maybe some comedians?).

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

I completely agree with a lot of what you said. I also enjoy being able to flesh out my thoughts on a topic and, for the most part, add as much detail as possible.

I believe the allure of Twitter is that it is so brief, it allows people to bring quick heat, without shedding any real light or adding anything of substance to a discussion.

People get the quick satisfaction that they contributed and, perhaps most important to them, the more followers they have hanging on their every tweet, the more they matter in life.

Reactions: IslandersFan17

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Actually, Twitter is vastly different from Facebook.

It's a news and opinion channel, one that reaches everyone in the world who wishes to use and conduct research on it. Use a hashtag to look something up, and you'll likely bump into any and everything anyone has ever posted there on the subject.

Facebook is intended to be your own private little world, which you then share to whatever degree you like solely with the people of your choice.

This all said, go to Twitter and enter "#Stutzle". Go to the first tweets you find.:)

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Actually, Twitter is vastly different from Facebook.

It's a news and opinion channel, one that reaches everyone in the world who wishes to use and conduct research on it. Use a hashtag to look something up, and you'll likely bump into any and everything anyone has ever posted there on the subject.

Facebook is intended to be your own private little world, which you then share to whatever degree you like solely with the people of your choice.

This all said, go to Twitter and enter "#Stutzle". Go to the first tweets you find.:)

Well you know what they say about opinions.....I think it fits perfectly with what you see on Twitter. I choose to get my news from, well news sources. As far as opinions, I don't get, only give :P

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Well you know what they say about opinions.....I think it fits perfectly with what you see on Twitter. I choose to get my news from, well news sources. As far as opinions, I don't get, only give :P

Exactly that opinion-giving is what really makes Twitter an incredibly scary and downright depressing place to hang around.

If it weren't for the hockey content (and a few other things regarding music, film, literature, etc.), I'd be inclined to wander into exile and throw away the Twitter key as well.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
July 10 is the tentative Date for opening “training camps”

safe to say next season won’t start until maybe January.

Reactions: Lek
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad