News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2019-20 Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Wondering if 50% of the players will read the 20 page memo/rules on reopening. Will be surprised if we make it to game 1.

From an Islander standpoint, any possibility Sorokin can sign and join in the action? Pelech?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
At the moment, the NHL has said that players such as Sorokin and Kaprizov are NOT allowed to sign and play this season.

That was the main plan for both of them, so that's a wrench in the plans of both the Isles and Minnesota.

The same is the case for guys like Lehtonen in Toronto, but he was a pure UFA. The NHL hasn't explained why NHL teams can't sign their own draft picks and have them play.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
At the moment, the NHL has said that players such as Sorokin and Kaprizov are NOT allowed to sign and play this season.

That was the main plan for both of them, so that's a wrench in the plans of both the Isles and Minnesota.

The same is the case for guys like Lehtonen in Toronto, but he was a pure UFA. The NHL hasn't explained why NHL teams can't sign their own draft picks and have them play.

not much behind Varly and Greiss assuming they are already in the country.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I don't know that winning home ice is that big of a motivator for that round robin tournament, but it'll make things interesting for sure.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Hockey in July I mean I guess they can make it work. A bit confusing especially the draft lottery.

A few episodes back the guys on Spittin' Chiclets were talking about how they think the NHL should adopt a new schedule that always has them play this late. The reason behind it would be so they compete with the NFL, College Football, and the NBA a lot less and their entire playoffs would take place during the dog days of the MLB season so they'd be the only playoffs going on. It would likely attract more eyeballs, and it'd open up more scheduling options since the teams wouldn't have to share arenas with the NBA.

It's an interesting idea, and I don't hate it, but they need to ensure the quality of ice is good enough to be playing that late in some regions. It'd always be a little weird for a winter sport to be finishing up then though. I have wondered in the past as to why the NBA doesn't shift to the summer like that, but there must be a reason.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
A few episodes back the guys on Spittin' Chiclets were talking about how they think the NHL should adopt a new schedule that always has them play this late. The reason behind it would be so they compete with the NFL, College Football, and the NBA a lot less and their entire playoffs would take place during the dog days of the MLB season so they'd be the only playoffs going on. It would likely attract more eyeballs, and it'd open up more scheduling options since the teams wouldn't have to share arenas with the NBA.

It's an interesting idea, and I don't hate it, but they need to ensure the quality of ice is good enough to be playing that late in some regions. It'd always be a little weird for a winter sport to be finishing up then though. I have wondered in the past as to why the NBA doesn't shift to the summer like that, but there must be a reason.
Ye I get it your only competing with baseball but hockey in the middle of the summer just doesn’t sound right. Hopefully if this tournament does happen the ice won’t be a choppy mess. I’d be for it this time around not sure if I would like it on a more permanent basis with hockey in the summer.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I don't know that winning home ice is that big of a motivator for that round robin tournament, but it'll make things interesting for sure.

Home ice isn't a huge issue in normal times. At a neutral site it amounts to who gets the last line change.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I'd love a road trip to Calgary in July. Hockey and the Stampede. :nod:

Reactions: PK Cronin

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Now that the NHL has officially ended the regular season, shouldn't we be getting refunds for any regular season individual games we have tickets for? Ticketmaster is still listing the games I have tickets for as "postponed."

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Now that the NHL has officially ended the regular season, shouldn't we be getting refunds for any regular season individual games we have tickets for? Ticketmaster is still listing the games I have tickets for as "postponed."

It’s been less than 6 hours. Relax, I’m sure something will be worked out.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I might have missed it later on the broadcast where Bettman made the announcement, but did/has anybody heard anything about how they would be planning to have minimum 3 games per day at each hub city? This brings up many questions. First, how will they keep ice quality at top level with that many games for 8-10 weeks over the summer? Second, what are they going to do about playoff games that go multiple OTs, will there be the possibility that the last game at each location could be first starting at midnight if the games before it run long? Third, are certain teams always going to get preference for which start time their series has each day or will it rotate? I could pretty much answer this last question. You know they will put the league's darling teams in prime time and you could certainly argue the Isles-Panthers series might be the worst of them all (only from a ratings standpoint), so would it surprise anyone if we were playing at 3 or 4 in the afternoon every game, which would make it impossible for most working people to ever see these playoff games.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I might have missed it later on the broadcast where Bettman made the announcement, but did/has anybody heard anything about how they would be planning to have minimum 3 games per day at each hub city? This brings up many questions. First, how will they keep ice quality at top level with that many games for 8-10 weeks over the summer? Second, what are they going to do about playoff games that go multiple OTs, will there be the possibility that the last game at each location could be first starting at midnight if the games before it run long? Third, are certain teams always going to get preference for which start time their series has each day or will it rotate? I could pretty much answer this last question. You know they will put the league's darling teams in prime time and you could certainly argue the Isles-Panthers series might be the worst of them all (only from a ratings standpoint), so would it surprise anyone if we were playing at 3 or 4 in the afternoon every game, which would make it impossible for most working people to ever see these playoff games.

Fair questions. I'm particularly interested in how they are going to address the bold!

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
For the hub cities, the NHL really has to select a place like Minneapolis/St. Paul, right?

Essentially a relatively isolated (dense population wise at least) location with multiple NHL-sized rinks in proximity.

Since they don't have to worry about arena luxuries and the fan experience, what cities have the most qualifying rinks?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
For the hub cities, the NHL really has to select a place like Minneapolis/St. Paul, right?

Essentially a relatively isolated (dense population wise at least) location with multiple NHL-sized rinks in proximity.

Since they don't have to worry about arena luxuries and the fan experience, what cities have the most qualifying rinks?

They do need to choose locations that can broadcast the games nationally though without much an investment.

Reactions: eoin92

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
They do need to choose locations that can broadcast the games nationally though without much an investment.
I thought NY metro was going to be an an obvious choice, with four NHL arenas in close proximity, until Bettman said, “an area without high degree of Covid”.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I thought NY metro was going to be an an obvious choice, with four NHL arenas in close proximity, until Bettman said, “an area without high degree of Covid”.

I thought a similar thing, but it makes sense why they wouldn't want to do it there. I was also thinking that two teams participating were already there and others were short rides away.

Reactions: eoin92

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Nope. You just get a special TV feed where Butch’s microphone is twice as loud and play by play is by Peter Rutgaizer

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Based on those quotes from players, things looks BLEAK in Buffalo, cripes
Not good.

Think about that 12-13 season for us, we finally broke through and how important it was for us. The year before we had the fight night which I think was big for the core and brotherhood of the team. Next season you saw Bailey, Okposo and Nielsen do so well. I mean literally that line offensively carried us. Moulson, Boyes and Tavares were great too but PP they were great. 5 on 5, that Nielsen line was terrific.

But the core guys and Nabby stepping up got them through. the failures made the success that much sweeter. Buffalo has a lot of the right pieces but lacks the team depth. Kreuger seems to support them. Makes me wonder if they need more grit/fighting/truculence etc to bring the group together.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Not good.

Think about that 12-13 season for us, we finally broke through and how important it was for us. The year before we had the fight night which I think was big for the core and brotherhood of the team. Next season you saw Bailey, Okposo and Nielsen do so well. I mean literally that line offensively carried us. Moulson, Boyes and Tavares were great too but PP they were great. 5 on 5, that Nielsen line was terrific.

But the core guys and Nabby stepping up got them through. the failures made the success that much sweeter. Buffalo has a lot of the right pieces but lacks the team depth. Kreuger seems to support them. Makes me wonder if they need more grit/fighting/truculence etc to bring the group together.
I agree. Guys like Martin and Boychuk would go a long way for them

Reactions: Kevin27NYI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad