News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
If that return for Karlsson is accurate. That is disgraceful for Ottawa after all that time and the supposed ENORMOUS asking price. They got a bottom pairing defenseman, a fourth line center and two draft picks. I would have done that even for him as a rental and take a chance on trying to resign him. Where was Lou on this? Can anybody honestly say they would not have traded Pelech, Cizikas and two draft picks for Karlsson? Ottawa fans cannot be happy.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Why are there some teams, like the Sharks (think also how little they gave up for Evander Kane) that just seem to be able to get star players and give up nothing. And we cannot even get star players when we offer the world.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I'm pissed. I wouldn't given up more than that for EK.

If you look at it this way now is the time to trade for Duchene. He doesn't even have close to the value of EK and look what they traded him for.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If that return for Karlsson is accurate. That is disgraceful for Ottawa after all that time and the supposed ENORMOUS asking price. They got a bottom pairing defenseman, a fourth line center and two draft picks. I would have done that even for him as a rental and take a chance on trying to resign him. Where was Lou on this? Can anybody honestly say they would not have traded Pelech, Cizikas and two draft picks for Karlsson? Ottawa fans cannot be happy.

So you want to trade top picks for a team re-structuring at best in order to acquire a player who is likely going to do the same thing our former captain just did?

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
So you want to trade top picks for a team re-structuring at best in order to acquire a player who is likely going to do the same thing our former captain just did?
They gave up a 2020 first round pick, a fourth line center and a 5th defenseman. You dont think that would be worth taking a chance on Erik Karlsson? This is not Justin Faulk. This is one of the top 3 dmen in the NHL for the last 5 years. That would be worth the risk, absolutely, for that return.

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
They gave up a 2020 first round pick, a fourth line center and a 5th defenseman. You dont think that would be worth taking a chance on Erik Karlsson? This is not Justin Faulk. This is one of the top 3 dmen in the NHL for the last 5 years. That would be worth the risk, absolutely, for that return.

I thought it was this year's first, you're right. Very strange deal that doesn't help Ottawa for a long time. Maybe it's a conference thing? I don't know.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I can’t blast the Sens one bit. They got assets in return for their pending UFA.

How many of us would kill for that package right about now for Tavares?

They got a recent 1st rounder in Norris, a 2020 1st, a 2019 2nd. Tierny is an excellent 3rd Line Center who’s 24 years old. He’s better than Cizikas. Balcers had an excellent first year in the AHL and is just 21.

In these deals it always stings to lose the best player but at the same time for a guy that was most likely leaving they got some pretty good assets.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I thought it was this year's first, you're right. Very strange deal that doesn't help Ottawa for a long time. Maybe it's a conference thing? I don't know.
No problem. You are right, if it was a 2019 first I would be much more hesitant. But I think my comparison is very fair. I would have even given a 2020 first, 2019 2nd, Pelech and Brock Nelson or Cizikas. Our offer would be better because the picks are better than the Sharks. The fact we could not or did not attempt to beat that offer might be the best indication yet that Lou does in fact, despite what we thought/were hoping, plan to secretly tank this season. If we got Karlsson for that type of return, and he stayed healthy, that move alone could have moved the Isles from 7th-10th in the conference up to the 4th-6th range. Maybe not cup contenders but definitely a team competing for home ice advantage. Maybe convince him to resign if we could get Panarin or Bobrovsky next summer, or if we lose him, for that package I would have been okay with the risk.
Very disappointing. And quite frankly I have to think there are many other teams/fanbases feeling the same way because there is no way another team could not beat that. It almost is like Ottawa wants to help the Sharks win the cup.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I can’t blast the Sens one bit. They got assets in return for their pending UFA.

How many of us would kill for that package right about now for Tavares?

They got a recent 1st rounder in Norris, a 2020 1st, a 2019 2nd. Tierny is an excellent 3rd Line Center who’s 24 years old. He’s better than Cizikas. Balcers had an excellent first year in the AHL and is just 21.

In these deals it always stings to lose the best player but at the same time for a guy that was most likely leaving they got some pretty good assets.
I never would have traded Tavares for that package one year in advance. Are you kidding me?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
No problem. You are right, if it was a 2019 first I would be much more hesitant. But I think my comparison is very fair. I would have even given a 2020 first, 2019 2nd, Pelech and Brock Nelson or Cizikas. Our offer would be better because the picks are better than the Sharks. The fact we could not or did not attempt to beat that offer might be the best indication yet that Lou does in fact, despite what we thought/were hoping, plan to secretly tank this season. If we got Karlsson for that type of return, and he stayed healthy, that move alone could have moved the Isles from 7th-10th in the conference up to the 4th-6th range. Maybe not cup contenders but definitely a team competing for home ice advantage. Maybe convince him to resign if we could get Panarin or Bobrovsky next summer, or if we lose him, for that package I would have been okay with the risk.
Very disappointing. And quite frankly I have to think there are many other teams/fanbases feeling the same way because there is no way another team could not beat that. It almost is like Ottawa wants to help the Sharks win the cup.

Looks like one of the conditions was that Karlsson can't play on an Eastern Conference team this season, so Ottawa (for some reason) wants him in the Western Conference only for the upcoming year.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I never would have traded Tavares for that package one year in advance. Are you kidding me?

If that was the absolute best offer on the table and you knew he was going to leave as a UFA you would have absolutely done that.

So you prefer what we ended up with instead?

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
If that was the absolute best offer on the table and you knew he was going to leave as a UFA you would have absolutely done that.

So you prefer what we ended up with instead?
None of us knew for sure he was absolutely leaving. He knew he was leaving but with the way everybody was on here refreshing twitter the night before UFA day to see if he re-signed, there is no way you can say most fans knew he was gone. So one year ago at this time, yes I would have been furious with that return.

Reactions: Finnislander

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Looks like one of the conditions was that Karlsson can't play on an Eastern Conference team this season, so Ottawa (for some reason) wants him in the Western Conference only for the upcoming year.
Makes no sense right? Ottawa wont sniff the playoffs this year and next year Karlsson could just go to Tampa for free and give up nothing or wherever he wants to go anyway. Why would Ottawa not rather get something back from an East team than get basically nothing from a West team and then he can just go sign in the East next year anyway. Really strange.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
None of us knew for sure he was absolutely leaving. He knew he was leaving but with the way everybody was on here refreshing twitter the night before UFA day to see if he re-signed, there is no way you can say most fans knew he was gone. So one year ago at this time, yes I would have been furious with that return.

I'd say very few fans thought he was leaving

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and that’s what I’m talking about.

I’m not talking about at the time when Pajama Boy was playing all of us and we thought he wanted to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad