News Around the League Part V: Offseason continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Obligatory contract thrown in. Blues would have been at 48/50 of their contract slots if it was just the draft pick, so they keep some flexibility.

So they pretty much gave him away for free? Yikes!

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yep. Talk about a dismal return for a first overall pick, but then most of Yakupov's NHL career to date has been a big yikes.

I still think it was a borderline steal of a trade for St Louis.

If you sucks, they didn't give away anything significant. If he's good, you got him for a heist.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
Yep. Talk about a dismal return for a first overall pick, but then most of Yakupov's NHL career to date has been a big yikes.

This is exactly why he's not been traded before, though. People think of him as that, not the on-ice product. He's basically the Edmonton JJ, just a higher pick.

kiwidevil

This is exactly why he's not been traded before, though. People think of him as that, not the on-ice product. He's basically the Edmonton JJ, just a higher pick.

Except teams don't come asking for JJ.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Amazing that Yakupov's value was that low, especially given our RW depth at the time.

I'm not sure how accurate that tweet is. I feel like if it was for straight up Eric Gelinas, shero would've pulled the trigger.

I mean a third rounder is nothing to scoff at, but Nail is an NHL player putting up at least double digits in both goals and assists every year since his rookie year, which is better than most of our players last year.

I think Yakupovs value has dropped significantly since that March deadline as well, no?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
There was literally no reason not to strap Yak to McDavid. They were great together to start the year until Yak got injured. They could've got at least 50 points out of him and it's like Eberle is going to be that much better with McDavid than he would've been with RNH. They could've gotten 100% out of Yak and like 90% out of Eberle but instead they chose to get a useless dman and a conditional 3rd and 100% from Eberle

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

The on ice product with Yakupov is pretty pathetic (can't produce much offense, struggles defensively, so hard to see where he fits in a lineup, etc) so I'm not saying that Yakupov deserved a higher return, just that this situation represents a major loss of value for Edmonton when you consider what they have gotten in return for their Yakupov investment. The entrance cost of investing in Yakupov was a first overall pick--acquired by a year in the league basement--which is a quite expensive commodity, and certainly would've netted them more in a trade on the day Yakupov was drafted than the non-NHL defensemen and conditional third round pick they got for Yakupov in the present. Yakupov was probably a sunk cost to Edmonton at this point, but still in exchange for a year at the bottom of the league, they are getting a very small return. We can say hindsight is twenty-twenty, but that still leaves Edmonton in a position where they could've gotten more trading the pick they used to get Yakupov than they got for Yakupov years later. Yakupov went from having the value of a first overall to the value of a conditional third rounder plus throw-in player. A sunk cost but not a victory for Edmonton.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I still think it was a borderline steal of a trade for St Louis.

If you sucks, they didn't give away anything significant. If he's good, you got him for a heist.

If Yakupov can put it together as an NHL player, then it's definitely a steal for St. Louis; if he remains a meh player, then I think it was an all right move, since nothing significant was lost or gained. I'm not sure Hitchcock is a good fit for Yakupov, but maybe Tarasenko can help him find his game in St. Louis.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
If we traded for Yak, I doubt Edmonton would've been willing to trade Hall to us. I'd much rather have Hall than Yak. Can't see Yak ever being a superior player to Hall.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I don't know why Devils didn't take that deal. Gelinas wasn't working out and Stempniak was always going to be a rental. Yak would have a had shot at a top 6 role.

It was stated a couple of days ago from another beat writer that at the last second Chiarelli tried to get another asset out of Shero for Yak and thats when we backed out. If thats true, then we did the right thing. Yakupov is not worth overpaying for even if its a mid-round pick. Shero took Chiarelli to the cleaners this summer though.

I also agree that we maybe don't get the deal we did eventually do with Edmonton for Hall if we trade for Yak. Obviously, thats by no means a certainty, but who knows what happens in the summer if we deal for Yak at the deadline. Moods and interpersonal relationships can be altered.

Its hard to second guess or even assume entirely why a presumed deal doesn't get made.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It was stated a couple of days ago from another beat writer that at the last second Chiarelli tried to get another asset out of Shero for Yak and thats when we backed out. If thats true, then we did the right thing. Yakupov is not worth overpaying for even if its a mid-round pick. Shero took Chiarelli to the cleaners this summer though.

I also agree that we maybe don't get the deal we did eventually do with Edmonton for Hall if we trade for Yak. Obviously, thats by no means a certainty, but who knows what happens in the summer if we deal for Yak at the deadline. Moods and interpersonal relationships can be altered.

Its hard to second guess or even assume entirely why a presumed deal doesn't get made.

Apparently Chiarelli did that a few times this year and kind of burned some bridges IIRC.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Apparently Chiarelli did that a few times this year and kind of burned some bridges IIRC.

yeah I feel like ive read a few times Chia tried tried to squeeze a little more out of every trade and got rejected every time

Shero's Hall trade appears to be the only one Chia settled on.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
yeah I feel like ive read a few times Chia tried tried to squeeze a little more out of every trade and got rejected every time

Shero's Hall trade appears to be the only one Chia settled on.

Shero had all the leverage on that. He didn't need to trade a top pairing defenseman who is on an extremely team friendly deal. If Chia tried to get more Shero could've just said F off and been done with it. I'm not surprised that they asked for more than just Gelinas for Yak, but I wish he didn't bc I would've done that in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad