News Around the League Part V: Offseason continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Pitt definitely has the worst crew. Steggo is insufferable.

When I had center ice San Jose was pretty bad, but that was only when they had McSorley. He did not last long though SJ saw right through him, he was so bad. Anaheim was also bad at time where'd they would make comments that you see right through. Calling us boring without using those words you could read between the lines and tell what they meant. The Pittsburgh announcers juat can't get passed it, it's kinda weird at this point.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When I had center ice San Jose was pretty bad, but that was only when they had McSorley. He did not last long though SJ saw right through him, he was so bad. Anaheim was also bad at time where'd they would make comments that you see right through. Calling us boring without using those words you could read between the lines and tell what they meant. The Pittsburgh announcers juat can't get passed it, it's kinda weird at this point.

San Jose's is pretty good these days. I do miss Drew Remenda as the color commentator, Jamie Baker is okay. I kinda feel the same way about him as I do Dano. Not really cut out for that role so much but he'll do.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Hayward also whines about the officials constantly.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hayward also whines about the officials constantly.

Nobody is worse than Denis Potvin when it comes to this.

I used to like Denis as a color commentator, but he seems to have lost his brain. With those comments about the Sedin's last year and too much blatant and over the top homerism. It's almost like a miracle when he doesn't question a call made against the Panthers.

I really couldn't stand the guy he replaced either, Bill Lindsay. Another ''Devils play the trap'' buffoon.

I'm pretty sure Tripp Tracy still talks about how we love to trap too and how we're still a trapping team.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
It seems to be universally agreed on that the Pens have the worst announce team in hockey. The second worst crew isn't even close in comparison.

And some of the main board posts about the Devils are downright weird.

Like there was this constant meme being pushed around that we will still miss the playoffs again this year, but it will be because ''They ain't getting to the playoffs with that D''. That our defense will be the reason we miss the playoffs. I still think if we miss the playoffs, it will be because either our scoring wasn't improved enough to climb significantly enough for dead last from last year, or because Cory missed too many games and we were sunk by mediocre goaltending from Kinkaid, Wedgewood, Lindback, Chris Terreri, Scott Clemmensen or Corey Schwab's ghost or whoever played during that time.

I'm not sure if this ''Ain't making the playoffs with that D'' is implying that our D will cause Cory to not play at an elite level or if they think we'll be allowing more shots and scoring opportunities per game and Schneider's GAA will go up, like any goalie will when facing significantly more shots per game. But the main board is full of people that actually believe that Cam Ward is only bad because of the Hurricanes D and that the Flames goalies were only bad because of the Flames D last year and Sievens in Edmonton was bad because Edmonton played horribly in front of him, etc. And that Rinne's ED caused him to play terrible last year, or whatever the excuses always are.

First we ripped the Oilers off and stole Hall for a #4 defenseman. Now it's turned into we can't survive without him. I don't get it maybe we defended Larsson too much? I just don't know and our defense is not that bad at all, especially with the signing of Quincy. Did they forget we have Severson and Greene. Plus decent top 4 defenseman in Lovejoy and Quincy. Auvitu and Santini could and should be ready. I think Santini is the biggest reason Shero felt comfortable trading Larsson, rather than Severson. Then there's Moore and Merrill our defense will be fine.

I also agree completely that the reason we won't make the playoffs, will still be a lack of goal scoring or man games lost like you mentioned. It won't be goals against and play from our defense or Schnieder as the reason we don't make the playoffs. That's for sure.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
San Jose's is pretty good these days. I do miss Drew Remenda as the color commentator, Jamie Baker is okay. I kinda feel the same way about him as I do Dano. Not really cut out for that role so much but he'll do.

San Jose is fine now, but when they had McSorley man was it bad. He didn't last more than a year or two at most, because it was embarrassing at times. They also should have never gotten rid of Remenda he really knew his stuff and was great at explaining it in a concise way.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
First we ripped the Oilers off and stole Hall for a #4 defenseman. Now it's turned into we can't survive without him. I don't get it maybe we defended Larsson too much? I just don't know and our defense is not that bad at all, especially with the signing of Quincy. Did they forget we have Severson and Greene. Plus decent top 4 defenseman in Lovejoy and Quincy. Auvitu and Santini could and should be ready. I think Santini is the biggest reason Shero felt comfortable trading Larsson, rather than Severson. Then there's Moore and Merrill our defense will be fine.

I also agree completely that the reason we won't make the playoffs, will still be a lack of goal scoring or man games lost like you mentioned. It won't be goals against and play from our defense or Schnieder as the reason we don't make the playoffs. That's for sure.

I think Larsson was a stud last year defensively, he did a lot of the heavy lifting along with Greene. He's a big loss, but I do think we'll survive without him.

The only other reason I can see is if our shots against go through the roof from last year. If we can average the shots against per game at under 30, I think we'll be fine.

The end of last season was getting to be a dumpster fire in that regard though. We were icing that Warsofsky and Helgeson pairing for a few games too many and the shots against were up near 40 and sometimes above that. Add in the brutal goaltending from Kinkaid during that stretch (like that brutal bad angle goal against the Panthers when he was shelled all night and playing great, then gives up that stinker that should have been an easy save) and we weren't able to stay in games as easily as when Schneider was in and when we were keeping the shots against respectable.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004

I used to like Denis as a color commentator, but he seems to have lost his brain. With those comments about the Sedin's last year and too much blatant and over the top homerism. It's almost like a miracle when he doesn't question a call made against the Panthers.

I really couldn't stand the guy he replaced either, Bill Lindsay. Another ''Devils play the trap'' buffoon.

I'm pretty sure Tripp Tracy still talks about how we love to trap too and how we're still a trapping team.

Bill Lindsay isn't a color commentator for a team is he? I've only seen him on the NHL network.

The funniest thing about all of this is almost all teams play the trap when protecting a lead with just a few minutes left. When the Rangers played the trap a lot under Tortarella, Sam Rosen would call it "layered defense". I love Sam Rosen I think he is one the best and most unbiased PBP guys there is, but he has been covering hockey way too long to not know what the trap is. I would guarantee it came from the top that he and Joe were not allowed to mention that word "trap" under any circumstance. I'd bet my life on it. I literally would watch Devils vs Rangers games with my friends and explain and point out whenever the Rangers were playing it. It made me realize that this thing they have hated and used to put the Devils down, known as the "trap" had no idea what it even was and these were savvy hockey fans. Makes you wonder how many people on this site couldn't point out the trap, but will use it against us.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I think Larsson was a stud last year defensively, he did a lot of the heavy lifting along with Greene. He's a big loss, but I do think we'll survive without him.

The only other reason I can see is if our shots against go through the roof from last year. If we can average the shots against per game at under 30, I think we'll be fine.

The end of last season was getting to be a dumpster fire in that regard though. We were icing that Warsofsky and Helgeson pairing for a few games too many and the shots against were up near 40 and sometimes above that. Add in the brutal goaltending from Kinkaid during that stretch (like that brutal bad angle goal against the Panthers when he was shelled all night and playing great, then gives up that stinker that should have been an easy save) and we weren't able to stay in games as easily as when Schneider was in and when we were keeping the shots against respectable.

Oh yeah, I mean Adam Larsson's don't grow on trees. I just think the tone of this site has become hypocritical. You can't first call him an average defenseman and then say he'll be the reason we miss the playoffs. Typical Devils bashing as usual in my opinion and like I have said a million times we've iced worse defenses than this, after the 2005 lockout and still won divisions let alone made the playoffs. If the Flyers and Rangers can make the playoffs with their defenses, I think we'll be just fine. Larsson was great, he was my favorite player and my username on this site for years. I miss the guy dearly, but with our improvement at the forward position we should have more possession, which should lead to less shots against, you would think. Plus I think that defense we have is average at worst, but average is ok when you got a top 3 goalie.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bill Lindsay isn't a color commentator for a team is he? I've only seen him on the NHL network.

The funniest thing about all of this is almost all teams play the trap when protecting a lead with just a few minutes left. When the Rangers played the trap a lot under Tortarella, Sam Rosen would call it "layered defense". I love Sam Rosen I think he is one the best and most unbiased PBP guys there is, but he has been covering hockey way too long to not know what the trap is. I would guarantee it came from the top that he and Joe were not allowed to mention that word "trap" under any circumstance. I'd bet my life on it. I literally would watch Devils vs Rangers games with my friends and explain and point out whenever the Rangers were playing it. It made me realize that this thing they have hated and used to put the Devils down, known as the "trap" had no idea what it even was and these were savvy hockey fans. Makes you wonder how many people on this site couldn't point out the trap, but will use it against us.
Not anymore he's not, he was the color guy for the Panthers from the time Potvin left the first time in the late 00's, up until Potvin returned two years ago.

And then the first year Potvin returned, Bill Lindsay was relegated to the second color commentator down by the benches. He was talking at all times, unlike Johnny Mac for us, who they check in with every few minutes. But he was used like Pierre, where he's doing color commentary the whole game but they had Potvin back up in the booth again. Then he got canned and last year, they had Randy Moller take that spot. Apparently Fox Sports Florida made the decision to do away with Bill Lindsay altogether. I read he did home radio broadcasts for them still, but then he started popping up on NHLN.

I appreciate how much of a fan of the Panthers he is, much like Chico and Dano for us and he's probably a good guy. But I couldn't stand him as a color commentator and really don't like him as an analyst either. I feel he's very bush league.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Not anymore he's not, he was the color guy for the Panthers from the time Potvin left the first time in the late 00's, up until Potvin returned two years ago.

And then the first year Potvin returned, Bill Lindsay was relegated to the second color commentator down by the benches. He was talking at all times, unlike Johnny Mac for us, who they check in with every few minutes. But he was used like Pierre, where he's doing color commentary the whole game but they had Potvin back up in the booth again. Then he got canned and last year, they had Randy Moller take that spot. Apparently Fox Sports Florida made the decision to do away with Bill Lindsay altogether. I read he did home radio broadcasts for them still, but then he started popping up on NHLN.

I appreciate how much of a fan of the Panthers he is, much like Chico and Dano for us and he's probably a good guy. But I couldn't stand him as a color commentator and really don't like him as an analyst either. I feel he's very bush league.

Gotcha. I like Lindsay on the NHL network. He really defended Larsson after the Hall trade, which I respected and showed he knew other teams well I mean Larsson wasn't putting up a lot of points so sometimes guys who don't follow a specific team on regular basis might not know how good Larsson really is. But I don't know him as a color commentator. I also always have a hard time recognizing him without a beard, if anyone remembers the Florida Panthers miracle run in '96 against the Avalanche you'll know what I'm talking about and you'll date yourself. :nod:

hutter

Mar 6, 2014
Oh yeah, I mean Adam Larsson's don't grow on trees. I just think the tone of this site has become hypocritical. You can't first call him an average defenseman and then say he'll be the reason we miss the playoffs. Typical Devils bashing as usual in my opinion and like I have said a million times we've iced worse defenses than this, after the 2005 lockout and still won divisions let alone made the playoffs. If the Flyers and Rangers can make the playoffs with their defenses, I think we'll be just fine. Larsson was great, he was my favorite player and my username on this site for years. I miss the guy dearly, but with our improvement at the forward position we should have more possession, which should lead to less shots against, you would think. Plus I think that defense we have is average at worst, but average is ok when you got a top 3 goalie.

Not to burst your bubble, but I don't think our defense is average right now. We have an aging Greene. Lovejoy might be alright, but he also might fall off a bit, and definitely cannot do what Larsson did. Greene is not a #1 anymore, more like a #2 and Lovejoy (presuming he stays consistent) is more like a #4

Severson is the x-factor here, and even if he pans out this year and takes a big stride we then have your average NHL defense. We don't know what we have in Auvitu but these preseason games suggest he's an NHL player. How good, we have no idea.

Merrill, Moore, etc are all bottom pairing defenders on a decent team and Santini hasn't really encouraged the thought that he's going to take a step up this year. At least not early on in the year.

I think at best we can have a slightly above average defense and at worst it will be in the bottom tier of the league. I have to give Shero credit for making it a crapshoot, but average at worst probably isn't very accurate.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

If I had a quarter for every time Lindsay said "trapping system" during a Panthers/Devils game I could buy an NHL team.:laugh:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Ruutu somehow is still at the Canucks camp.

Gionta has stuck with the Islanders as well while Bernier got cut. Actually, Gionta was injured, so he can't be cut on his PTO until he's medically cleared. Believed to be a broken foot.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
So with all this talk about the D being suspect (I agree), what do we think about RFA D men still out there? Are we in on any of these guys in your opinion?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ruutu somehow is still at the Canucks camp.

Gionta has stuck with the Islanders as well while Bernier got cut. Actually, Gionta was injured, so he can't be cut on his PTO until he's medically cleared. Believed to be a broken foot.

I saw that he left the game the other night injured.

Ruutu actually scored a goal in the preseason game against the Sharks the other night.:amazed:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Yak to Chi for a 3rd and a conditional 2nd, first broken by @barstoolchief which apparently is quite laughable that barstool knew first

Lebrun confirmed

Edit: got baited by fake Lebrun account ugh

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would be surprised if they traded Yakupov at this point.

I think he'll get some more rope there now, with Hall now gone. I don't really see a need for them to trade him right now, or at least not for pennies on the dollar.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Yak to Chi for a 3rd and a conditional 2nd, first broken by @barstoolchief which apparently is quite laughable that barstool knew first

Lebrun confirmed

Edit: got baited by fake Lebrun account ugh

Chicago can't afford to take Yakupov without sending some sort of cap back.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey

Smid only has a $3.5 million cap hit for one more season. Wonder if Shero's inquiring...price would have to be steep for the Flames to move it because it's essentially making it easier for them to sign Gaudreau

Also interesting, albeit not already unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad