News Around the League Part V: Offseason continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Smid only has a $3.5 million cap hit for one more season. Wonder if Shero's inquiring...price would have to be steep for the Flames to move it because it's essentially making it easier for them to sign Gaudreau

Also interesting, albeit not already unknown

Unless a team is offering us a nice young LD prospect or RW, I don't think it's worth our while for any of the cap dumps.

To add to the LD part, any of these teams that are trading defenders are likely doing it to free up spots for a young defender, not trade one away.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm confused. Smid's injured. Why wouldn't Calgary just pop him on LTIR?

Also, I think we have a lot of depth on LD. At this point, unless it's a stud LD, I'd rather get a good RD.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
LTIR is not just a get out of cap jail free card. It creates a lot of issues with cap management, especially if the Flames have Bennett and Tkachuk on their cap all year - it means any bonuses those guys earn get pushed on to next year's cap.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I think having the user name "Kurt Cobain" dates yourself too :D

I don't think it does you got 11 and 12 year old wearing nirvana shirts. Acting like they know everything about Kurt Cobain. I'm happy to see young kids listening to good music though, what comes out today is just terrible.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Not to burst your bubble, but I don't think our defense is average right now. We have an aging Greene. Lovejoy might be alright, but he also might fall off a bit, and definitely cannot do what Larsson did. Greene is not a #1 anymore, more like a #2 and Lovejoy (presuming he stays consistent) is more like a #4

Severson is the x-factor here, and even if he pans out this year and takes a big stride we then have your average NHL defense. We don't know what we have in Auvitu but these preseason games suggest he's an NHL player. How good, we have no idea.

Merrill, Moore, etc are all bottom pairing defenders on a decent team and Santini hasn't really encouraged the thought that he's going to take a step up this year. At least not early on in the year.

I think at best we can have a slightly above average defense and at worst it will be in the bottom tier of the league. I have to give Shero credit for making it a crapshoot, but average at worst probably isn't very accurate.

I disagree with a lot in this post. You never mentioned Quincy. I don't agree at all with your Santini comment. I think we're average and possibly better if guys like auvitu play well above their expectations. We'll be fine defensively when it comes to keeping the puck out of the net. My biggest worry is putting the puck in the net.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I don't think it does you got 11 and 12 year old wearing nirvana shirts. Acting like they know everything about Kurt Cobain. I'm happy to see young kids listening to good music though, what comes out today is just terrible.

And now you've officially dated yourself :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I think around three years ago, my cousin and I were in a mall in Connecticut. We walked past a group of teenage girls and one was proudly showing off her Kurt Cobain shirt. She then told the rest of the group "He's the lead singer of Aerosmith." My cousin and I both stopped in our tracks and had to refrain ourselves from yelling at her.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My friend's brother was born in 98 and just turned 18, he's really into Nirvana and bands that are even way older than that. I'm not a huge Nirvana fan, but they're definitely better than 98% of the music I hear if I turn on the radio.
I think around three years ago, my cousin and I were in a mall in Connecticut. We walked past a group of teenage girls and one was proudly showing off her Kurt Cobain shirt. She then told the rest of the group "He's the lead singer of Aerosmith." My cousin and I both stopped in our tracks and had to refrain ourselves from yelling at her.
That's completely brutal!:shakehead:laugh:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm watching a replay of the Oilers game from last night; man is the oilers goal horn terrible. Really really terrible.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
lolol the Blues get Yak for Pochiro (who?) and a conditional pick

I was wrong on that one. I figured they'd be holding on to him and they'd stick with him after getting rid of Hall.

Who the hell is Pochiro?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yakupov being coached by Hitchcock. What could possibly go wrong?

Yikes. Good luck with that one.

I think Yakupov is just a mediocre at best player. A no name prospect and a pick 3rd round or later is probably fair value.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Yakupov being coached by Hitchcock. What could possibly go wrong?

Yeah, Hitchcock doesn't even get along well with Tarasenko (remember last year's playoffs?), so he and Yakupov will be a disaster waiting to happen. :popcorn:

ETA: Oh, I kind of feel bad for Oilers fans. Got to be rough seeing a first overall go for such an underwhelming return. You think of the value of a first overall pick, and then to have this rate of return on that investment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad