News Article: News and Notes XXXV - schedule's out, bring on the Central.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

In this article in the Seattle Times from a few weeks ago, it looks like Seattle is ready to write the big check or force the Canes to do so.
As Kraken waits to hire coach, Mike Grier and Rod Brind’Amour emerge as possible options
For one, Carolina Hurricanes coach Rod Brind’Amour becomes a free agent this summer unless given an extension most assumed was coming two offseasons ago. Instead, COVID-19 is wreaking havoc on NHL revenues. The Hurricanes were never a financial behemoth to begin with, and their relatively new owner has a reputation for playing hardball with some business decisions.
So waiting around has created an opportunity the Kraken might never have imagined. And you’d best believe Kraken GM Ron Francis would jump at bringing his former teammate and employee to Seattle. Brind’Amour — known as “Rod the Bod” for his fanatical workout regimen going back decades — is credited with fostering a Cup-contending culture in Carolina and meshes with a Kraken organization looking to make fitness and nutrition an organizational cornerstone.
Now, it would take bold money to lure away Brind’Amour. But the Kraken, as mentioned, has money and, unlike NHL teams currently playing games, isn’t losing it during the pandemic.
The Kraken likely would be less bold on some other guys if Brind’Amour stays with the Hurricanes.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So Kraken would abuse Canes for not being a behemoth.

Counter-point: "Behemoth's strength reaches its peak on the summer solstice of every solar year (around 21 June). At this time of year, Behemoth lets out a loud roar that makes all animals tremble with fear, and thus renders them less ferocious for a whole year." (Wikipedia). Because, I've seen Canes draft, they're a behemoth alright.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
NHL owners adjusting to pandemic life away from their teams - Frank Sevaralli

Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon, who resides in Dallas, said the NHL’s restrictions made this season the perfect time to enact a planned cutback on his time spent in Raleigh around the team.
Dundon said Wednesday that he was flying north every 10 days or so to spend time around the Hurricanes when he first purchased the franchise in early 2018. Dundon, 49, enjoys sparking conversation and asking questions in meetings on both the hockey and business sides of the organization.
“We’re fortunate to have gotten it to a point where I have a lot of faith in Rod [Brind’Amour] and Don [Waddell], and I wasn’t going to be around as much,” Dundon said. “This [protocol] probably made that happen a little quicker. We had to change a lot of things behind the scenes, the culture and belief, or aura around this team, to get to the point where everyone expects us to be competitive and win.
“There are no changes left to make. I trust Rod implicitly. We’ve established some consistency and it’s time for them to take over now.”
Just because owners are around less doesn’t mean they won’t be watching closely. Far from it. Dundon laughed and joked that “games are the worst part” of owning a team.
“When we lose, I have a really hard time with it. I hate it,” Dundon said. “But you’ve got to hate it. It’s not like basketball, where the best team usually wins. The margin to win in this sport is so thin and that’s the hardest struggle in hockey.”
Dundon said it will “definitely be strange” not having the chance to spend time with his team and executives when they travel through Dallas in February.
“I would have liked that hour or two to learn something interesting, or hear about a resource that they might not be getting so I can fix it, or get a sense of how everything is going,” Dundon said. “But that’s life right now, it’s going to be a little different for everyone, and I feel for our players and coaches because it’s really different for them.”
Now, Dundon and the rest of the NHL’s owners are hoping life can get a little closer to normal by July so they can celebrate with their team if they are fortunate enough to go deep.
“I’d imagine by then we’ll have figured something out,” Dundon said. “But we’ll see.”

JacquesCousteau

a great caniac
Jun 6, 2018
6C3FE229-25E2-492F-B4C8-2D4860AE51CD.jpeg

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Questioning the statistician's arithmetic??

Actually, good idea. I question my own arithmetic all the time.

I'm also a statistician. I almost reflexively check most stats when I encounter them; I think it's a byproduct of years of doing so on the job. But the reason I replied to your post was mostly to highlight to the board that you didn't just pick "3" out of thin air. I'm guessing that many wouldn't have appreciated that there's an actual rationale behind the number.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad