News Article: News and Notes XXXV - schedule's out, bring on the Central.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Incoming 9-0 loss to Atlanta.
I've told this story before at various times, but I went to maybe 12-13 games that year as the drive from Blacksburg wasn't that bad. I drove down for that one just because we were so damn on fire. We were such a step off on everything it was actually pretty comical. I always thought losing a 9 game winning streak by 9-0 score was poetic.

As luck would have it, I happened to bring my family that lived in the DC area to a Caps/Canes game that broke another 9 game winning streak that year.

I may not be allowed in the building if we ever have a 9 game win streak again, but at least I went 1-0 that year in game 7's to win the Cup.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
We were briefly #1 in 06 after beating Detroit until Ottawa won a short time later that night. Incoming Cup win confirmed.
Is this the way everyone else remembers it? I know that I captured the web pages of the moments when CAR was #1 overall, and I thought it was more than one screen grab...I would've sworn it was as many as 3 days.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Our squad was #1 in the league for a while after that Detroit game. They started to slump a little towards the end and on the last day of the regular season Ottawa won to take the 1st seed. Had we won against Buffalo that night we would have played Tampa Bay in round 1.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
We may be thinking of different times, but I just checked standings after the games on January 10. Ottawa had 61 after beating Arizona, we had 60 after beating Detroit, and Detroit had 59.

That's not to say we weren't briefly at other times. Just that is the time I was referring.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Gotcha, I remember when they made the trade for Weight they were tops in the league at that time, late January. Well, at least Tripp mentioned it constantly the first game Weight played here, and of course everything Tripp says is true :D

Reactions: DaveG

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Gotcha, I remember when they made the trade for Weight they were tops in the league at that time, late January. Well, at least Tripp mentioned it constantly the first game Weight played here, and of course everything Tripp says is true :D
You guys are also correct. We took it back for several days in January. We were #1 at the time of the Weight trade. So I guess you fulfill my prophecy, we'll need to hold it for several days after losing it to Toronto

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

Behind the couch where he sits to watch Hurricanes games is a locker he set up to pay tribute to the team that provided him the biggest thrill of his hockey career. The locker is in full view and contains all sorts of memorabilia, including the equipment he wore that night and a white jersey presented to him by the team autographed by Carolina fans.
Nice story. The Canes are having a tribute for him tonight.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Nice story. The Canes are having a tribute for him tonight.

I mean I'm still surprised the team doesn't sell Ayres jerseys in the team store and you still have to get them personalized. If I could just pick one up, I'd probably drunkenly consider it the next game I attend. Probably would have done so last year.

Last edited:

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
As pure nonfiction, his story is a winner, so please forgive my dread of it being Disney-fied into absurdity with their Remember The Titans blueprint.

There's gonna have to be a villain or something to create conflict. Who/what will it be? :shakehead

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I bet they get the sheriff from stranger things to play Ayres, and its more of a man vs himself type of story where winning the game exorcises his demons. Not saying he actually has any in real life but that may be where they take the script

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
As pure nonfiction, his story is a winner, so please forgive my dread of it being Disney-fied into absurdity with their Remember The Titans blueprint.

There's gonna have to be a villain or something to create conflict. Who/what will it be? :shakehead

They're gonna somehow spin it into being a positive/win for the Leafs organization...

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I bet they get the sheriff from stranger things to play Ayres, and its more of a man vs himself type of story where winning the game exorcises his demons. Not saying he actually has any in real life but that may be where they take the script
Diabetes is probably the evil culprit in this tale.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

If history teaches us anything about the ice hockey villains in Disney movies, with it starting in Iceland and then moving to the Soviet Union, it will continue further east. So my bet is on the Mongolian national team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad