News Article: News and Notes XXXV - schedule's out, bring on the Central.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
"Depend on its branding to keep relevant"? The team had more playoff success in the first 5 years in Carolina than they had in their entire time in Hartford
It's a troll account.

Look, the Canes have a cup. They've been to 2 cup finals and 3 conference finals. The NHL has been in Raleigh longer than they were in Hartford. The team is stacked for the foreseeable future.

The NHL is never coming back to Hartford. We can either be friends about it and recognize the Hartford legacy together, such as it was, or you can die mad about it.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It's a troll account.

Look, the Canes have a cup. They've been to 2 cup finals and 3 conference finals. The NHL has been in Raleigh longer than they were in Hartford. The team is stacked for the foreseeable future.

The NHL is never coming back to Hartford. We can either be friends about it and recognize the Hartford legacy together, such as it was, or you can die mad about it.
bingo. I know quite a few people that grew up with the Whalers. Hell I was one of them to an extent, not as much as someone that lived in the Hartford area but as a New England kid that hated the typical Boston sports fan there we are. I know of literally zero that are this salty about the Canes that were legitimately of age of be Whalers fans growing up. Hate Karmanos? f*** yes, but in that matter we're prettymuch right there with them. But I know of nobody that's salty about the money grab, worst we'll legitimately get from someone that's not a Bruins or Rangers fan that's just trolling for a reaction is "seriously, you've won a Cup and been to another final, don't dig up bad memories"

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I understand former Whaler fans who still don't like us, I don't always agree with it but I get it, I'm not going to argue with those people on the subject.

Now fans of other teams and 25 y/os who were in diapers when the Whalers last played, those people piss me off. Yes please 25 y/o Rangers fan who has never been to CT outside of Greenwich and maybe one day trip to Bridgeport, please tell me all about your favorite memories of Ron Francis in a Whalers sweater, f*** off dude.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I think we're on the same page hank- I'm not anti whalers, anti Connecticut, anti northerner or any such thing. I'm just pro fact, and the "relevant" jab stuck out to me as just being false. One can make a lot of legitimate criticisms of the Hurricanes but comparing their relevance or success to that of the whalers shows a clear difference. Especially in the last few years since they even started using the old logo. Heck, the first year they wore the whalers gear in Raleigh they won more playoff series just in that season than the whalers ever did cumulatively.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Goddam, the Bulls went savage on the bellyaching from Hartford

f7d.jpg

Reactions: geehaad

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
In the spirit of Whalers talk....

The last comic con in Raleigh, I met Will Friedle, for those who remember played Eric Matthews on the 90's hit show Boy Meets World. When I walked up to him he immediately pointed out my Hurricanes t-shirt I was wearing. When I asked if he was a fan, he said that he grew up in Hartford, and was hurt when they moved them to Raleigh. In my head, I was like you got to date and do things to one of my biggest childhood crush Jennifer Love Hewitt so we're even if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad