News Article: News and Notes XXXIV - is it time for us to make panic trades yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
This offseason got really boring really quickly...SOMEONE DO SOMETHING*... :sarcasm:

*so long as that something either doesn't involve the Canes or is a good something such as Svech/Dougie extensions or a 1 year deal for Hoffman or something along those lines

We could always just trade Svech and Dougie for Marner and not have to worry about their contracts...

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I kinda don't get the sense that anyone has ever loved Dougie in his NHL career, and here, the fans love him. That's got to be worth a dollar amount. How much, exactly? Hard to say.

Also, agents don't get paid 10% of the fans' love, so there's that.

I will give Dougie's agent 10% of my love if he works with the team to get Dougie signed to a team friendly deal. Can't speak for others though...

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Yeah, that was 100% me reading between the lines. RBA didn't mention any players. He just said something to the effect that just because a player had a bad season, doesn't mean they are bad players that need to be moved. Nino was the first that came to my mind.

I do think they’ll make some sort of move to bring in another scorer, be it a trade or them gambling on a cheap UFA. But, that’s not really necessary if your guys play to their expected level. It should be interesting to see how much space they have left after Fleury and Foegele are signed.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think we'll make a move to bring in a guy, but I don't think we have any apetite to bring in anyone for only one year, especially in the current climate. We'll be looking at medium term deals for guys who are falling through the cracks so that we can get some kind of security for 2022 and beyond.

If Hoffman only wants a 1 year deal, we will stay away. There isn't even assurances right now that the 2020-21 season will even be played, and you darn well know that reality is going into our decision making. If we sign someone, we are going to want the term to be long enough that we actually see benefit from it, especially after we essentially brought in Vatanen in and didn't really see anything happen with it.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I think there will still be a bit of a second wave of moves league-wide once arbitration comes in/other RFAs get dealt with (especially Tampa's, they still need to make moves to be able to afford their RFAs, or their RFAs could get offer sheeted). I'm still hoping we can capitalize on Tampa's situation and get Palat, I think he'd be the perfect fit in our top 6.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Probably nothing in here that most of you do not already know but I like THG’s approach. To those not familiar, Shannon is not an Insider or one who makes Hot Takes.

Rather, he’s a dedicated hockey fan who puts a lot of time & effort into his channel - in particular to the history.

Edit: Grammar correction
62DE4ECC-A14F-4726-B991-2A5899689CD9.gif

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If Fleury and Foegele are settled for cheaper than expected, I would think we go with a cheap one year deal on Colin Wilson, Brassard, Perry, or the like. Someone to add as a 14th forward that will fight for a roster spot that we are comfortable using anywhere in the lineup to give guys days off.

Or we go with a 7th defender on a cheap deal. I dont know that we will squeeze in both.

Once they get this figured out, we'll be squeezing in as many games a possible to maximize TV and crowd money (whatever the percentage is).

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think there will still be a bit of a second wave of moves league-wide once arbitration comes in/other RFAs get dealt with (especially Tampa's, they still need to make moves to be able to afford their RFAs, or their RFAs could get offer sheeted). I'm still hoping we can capitalize on Tampa's situation and get Palat, I think he'd be the perfect fit in our top 6.
I'd love Palat and agree that he'd be a near perfect fit. That said, we'd have to move a contract to make that work and he has a full NTC, so he'd have to want to leave and come here. Those are all big hurdles in my opinion. Not the same type of player, but Granlund seems to also be a good fit and would come much cheaper and easier to acquire.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Eklund saying up to 3 teams could relocate post Seattle's first year because of COVID losses.

Carolina to QC or Houston E4:sarcasm:
It feels like if a team were going to relocate, one of FLA, NJD, NYI, or ARZ would have been long gone. Those teams have been perpetual bottom-5 attendance dwellers for far longer than Carolina (we were only there from '14-'18 in the depths of our playoff drought). Bettman has been fighting to prevent relocations...just look at all he did to protect the 'Yotes through years of speculation. Even with the extenuating circumstances of the 'Rona I doubt he'd let that happen unless he's exhausted all other options/avenues. So that just makes Eklund sound silly to say THREE teams could relocate (probably a Nordiques fan wishful thinking)

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If nothing else the Canes should look to bring in Athanasiou on a cheap 1 year deal. He's a transition scorer and his 5v5 scoring rate over the past 2 years is right at Svechnikov-level. Watching his 30 goals from 2018-19 he scored half of his goals off the rush and the other half hanging out in the crease looking for loose pucks. I think an Athanasiou-Staal-Fast line could generate tangible secondary/tertiary scoring while also being solid defensively. He is a faster Foegele with better finishing on the rush. Would allow Nino, Dzingle, and Foegele to fight it out for the last top-6 LW spot.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I'd love Palat and agree that he'd be a near perfect fit. That said, we'd have to move a contract to make that work and he has a full NTC, so he'd have to want to leave and come here. Those are all big hurdles in my opinion. Not the same type of player, but Granlund seems to also be a good fit and would come much cheaper and easier to acquire.

Yeah it would not be easy at all and my guess is Tampa will try to make other moves before moving Palat anyways, but who knows. A man can dream can't he?

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
If nothing else the Canes should look to bring in Athanasiou on a cheap 1 year deal. He's a transition scorer and his 5v5 scoring rate over the past 2 years is right at Svechnikov-level. Watching his 30 goals from 2018-19 he scored half of his goals off the rush and the other half hanging out in the crease looking for loose pucks. I think an Athanasiou-Staal-Fast line could generate tangible secondary/tertiary scoring while also being solid defensively. He is a faster Foegele with better finishing on the rush. Would allow Nino, Dzingle, and Foegele to fight it out for the last top-6 LW spot.

Not to mention one of the greatest players ever to put on skates.

Reactions: Zezima

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Yeah, I can't imagine he'd end up on that line. He's not known for his defence and adding him to Staal's line would be a substantial downgrade to the effectiveness of that line as a checking line. I think whoever we get is penciled in as LW on the first or second line to alternate with Svech depending on how Rod wants to roll.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
It feels like if a team were going to relocate, one of FLA, NJD, NYI, or ARZ would have been long gone. Those teams have been perpetual bottom-5 attendance dwellers for far longer than Carolina (we were only there from '14-'18 in the depths of our playoff drought). Bettman has been fighting to prevent relocations...just look at all he did to protect the 'Yotes through years of speculation. Even with the extenuating circumstances of the 'Rona I doubt he'd let that happen unless he's exhausted all other options/avenues. So that just makes Eklund sound silly to say THREE teams could relocate (probably a Nordiques fan wishful thinking)

I feel like saying "one of 3" is a way to try and keep the spotlight off Arizona. I don't want to see anyone relocate, but falling behind on lease payments for the arena and bonus payments to players is a warning sign.

But as stated on another thread, if they can't have fans in the arenas the league may take a year off rather than put multiple franchises in jeopardy of being unable to pay their players off only TV revenue.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Yeah, I can't imagine he'd end up on that line. He's not known for his defence and adding him to Staal's line would be a substantial downgrade to the effectiveness of that line as a checking line. I think whoever we get is penciled in as LW on the first or second line to alternate with Svech depending on how Rod wants to roll.

I guess I just don't see Foegele as being known for his defense either. Foegele and Athanasiou are very similar players from what I've seen. Big bodied forwards who skate well and generate most of their offense off the rush while being average in the defensive zone. In my mind swapping Foegele for Athanasiou is a net even defensively while increasing the scoring potential of that line off the rush significantly.

It's a fine argument to point to Athanasiou's -45 last year on the worst team in the league but I think it would also be fair to point out that Foegele had a team worst -17 in 2018-19 which was significantly worse than the next lowest (Wallmark at -8) on a team that was majorily in the + territory. The two have similar deficiencies while Athanasiou is clearly a couple tiers higher in finishing ability.

How much of Foegele looking competent on a checking line is being next to the likes of Jordan Staal and how much of Athanasiou looking poor defensively is being on the worst roster in the NHL?

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I guess I just don't see Foegele as being known for his defense either. Foegele and Athanasiou are very similar players from what I've seen. Big bodied forwards who skate well and generate most of their offense off the rush while being average in the defensive zone. In my mind swapping Foegele for Athanasiou is a net even defensively while increasing the scoring potential of that line off the rush significantly.

It's a fine argument to point to Athanasiou's -45 last year on the worst team in the league but I think it would also be fair to point out that Foegele had a team worst -17 in 2018-19 which was significantly worse than the next lowest (Wallmark at -8) on a team that was majorily in the + territory. The two have similar deficiencies while Athanasiou is clearly a couple tiers higher in finishing ability.

How much of Foegele looking competent on a checking line is being next to the likes of Jordan Staal and how much of Athanasiou looking poor defensively is being on the worst roster in the NHL?

I don't really agree with this at all. Foegele goes 100 MPH and many times because of it makes an ill advised play which can lead to a defensive lapse. I think his brain doesn't always keep up with his feet, but IMO, he was much better and more in control this year than last year. He was all over the place last year and on the edge of out of control, and I still see some of that, but it was better IMO. Maybe the game slowed down for him in his 2nd season. That said, the guy never quits and gives just as much effort in the D-zone as he does in the O-zone. He also has some good anticipation in picking off passes/closing passing lanes. To me, it's his over-exuberance and brain not keeping up with his skates that are his problem. His effort can't be questioned.

AA, from what I've seen, has that that speed/brain piece that Foegele does, but also doesn't give nearly the effort defensively as he does elsewhere. When I've seen him I get the feeling he's not even interested in playing defense and the effort isn't there. That's a complete 180 degrees from Foegele IMO. I'll take the guy that cares enough to give the effort every day of the week.

I do agree AA is a better finisher, but from what I've seen, he's a worse 2-way player.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

I don't think it's Foegle who will be there, either. One of McGinn or Marty probably ends up the LW with Staal.

2Minutes4Surging

Jul 5, 2017
Durham, NC
Foegele is a high effort player who goes in hard on the forecheck and backchecks with tenacity. Rod also trust him enough to use him on the PK. He was a +22 his last year in Charlotte (17-18,) which was best out of all the forwards, and he was a +9 for us last year. He may have struggled his rookie year, but he seems to have figured it out. I wouldn't credit Staal for Foegele's competency. Athanasiou is well known for his inability to play defense. He has consistently been a minus player at the NHL level for the past 3 years and not only because he is on the worst team in the league. He is a hard forechecker, I believe, but doesn't back check or play with a high effort in the D-zone. I don't think he is the answer to any question in our line-up, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad