News Article: News and Notes XXXIV - is it time for us to make panic trades yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I guess I just don't see Foegele as being known for his defense either. Foegele and Athanasiou are very similar players from what I've seen. Big bodied forwards who skate well and generate most of their offense off the rush while being average in the defensive zone. In my mind swapping Foegele for Athanasiou is a net even defensively while increasing the scoring potential of that line off the rush significantly.

It's a fine argument to point to Athanasiou's -45 last year on the worst team in the league but I think it would also be fair to point out that Foegele had a team worst -17 in 2018-19 which was significantly worse than the next lowest (Wallmark at -8) on a team that was majorily in the + territory. The two have similar deficiencies while Athanasiou is clearly a couple tiers higher in finishing ability.

How much of Foegele looking competent on a checking line is being next to the likes of Jordan Staal and how much of Athanasiou looking poor defensively is being on the worst roster in the NHL?

I don't really agree with this at all. Foegele goes 100 MPH and many times because of it makes an ill advised play which can lead to a defensive lapse. I think his brain doesn't always keep up with his feet, but IMO, he was much better and more in control this year than last year. He was all over the place last year and on the edge of out of control, and I still see some of that, but it was better IMO. Maybe the game slowed down for him in his 2nd season. That said, the guy never quits and gives just as much effort in the D-zone as he does in the O-zone. He also has some good anticipation in picking off passes/closing passing lanes. To me, it's his over-exuberance and brain not keeping up with his skates that are his problem. His effort can't be questioned.

AA, from what I've seen, has that that speed/brain piece that Foegele does, but also doesn't give nearly the effort defensively as he does elsewhere. When I've seen him I get the feeling he's not even interested in playing defense and the effort isn't there. That's a complete 180 degrees from Foegele IMO. I'll take the guy that cares enough to give the effort every day of the week.

I do agree AA is a better finisher, but from what I've seen, he's a worse 2-way player.

Foegele is a high effort player who goes in hard on the forecheck and backchecks with tenacity. Rod also trust him enough to use him on the PK. He was a +22 his last year in Charlotte (17-18,) which was best out of all the forwards, and he was a +9 for us last year. He may have struggled his rookie year, but he seems to have figured it out. I wouldn't credit Staal for Foegele's competency. Athanasiou is well known for his inability to play defense. He has consistently been a minus player at the NHL level for the past 3 years and not only because he is on the worst team in the league. He is a hard forechecker, I believe, but doesn't back check or play with a high effort in the D-zone. I don't think he is the answer to any question in our line-up, IMO.

TL/DR summary:
You folks don’t want players:
2C4F54CB-EE1D-40C9-90B5-8669AD79F7BF.gif

But Rather:
36A7E3A2-86F4-4F6C-8915-E46FF7311EB7.gif

CFE60617-4434-41B3-89F9-AF180854C4BD.gif

C9776F37-D87E-44B1-939F-C809486408D5.gif

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Apparently Pierre McGuire was on TSN radio this morning and said something “has to kick in next month” for Dundon or else Karmanos comes back and regains control of the team.

Is this a surprise to anyone? I recall something about a 7 year out...but its not close to that.

Oh and Jason Karmanos was “let go” this week. Hmmm. Is something afoot?

edit - apparently McGuire also called Dundon’s agreement “a lease with an option to buy.”

McGuire: Unusual ownership agreement in Carolina

here’s the link, it’s about halfway through the segment. Some of what’s said will make y’all mad! Lol. “Thrifty.”

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Apparently Pierre McGuire was on TSN radio this morning and said something “has to kick in next month” for Dundon or else Karmanos comes back and regains control of the team.

Is this a surprise to anyone? I recall something about a 7 year out...but its not close to that.

Oh and Jason Karmanos was “let go” this week. Hmmm. Is something afoot?

edit - apparently McGuire also called Dundon’s agreement “a lease with an option to buy.”

McGuire: Unusual ownership agreement in Carolina

here’s the link, it’s about halfway through the segment. Some of what’s said will make y’all mad! Lol. “Thrifty.”

My understanding was different from Pierre's.

I thought Dundon became majority owner, and has an option to buy the rest now.

I haven't had the time to listen to that yet, but my recollection from the time of the purchase was that was that there were two separate options. A pretty obvious option to buy the rest of the team from PK after three years. The second option I remember was that he had the right to walk away and revert ownership back to PK after three years as well. That was the option that I was surprised to see. And with the COVID lack of gate revenues, I am not discounting that possibility. Dundon can "spend to the cap" this year without revenues and without fear because he has one of two outs: he either believes there will be no season, thus no salaries to pay, or if the league forces him to lose money, he can just punt it back to PK and Karmanos is left holding the losses.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I haven't had the time to listen to that yet, but my recollection from the time of the purchase was that was that there were two separate options. A pretty obvious option to buy the rest of the team from PK after three years. The second option I remember was that he had the right to walk away and revert ownership back to PK after three years as well. That was the option that I was surprised to see. And with the COVID lack of gate revenues, I am not discounting that possibility. Dundon can "spend to the cap" this year without revenues and without fear because he has one of two outs: he either believes there will be no season, thus no salaries to pay, or if the league forces him to lose money, he can just punt it back to PK and Karmanos is left holding the losses.

I mean on the one hand he really seems like he likes the team and has been invested and all of that.

And on the other hand, he bought an entire football league and basically folded it within weeks.

Wonder if this is actually something to be concerned about, doesn't seem like it's something to not be concerned about lol.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I mean on the one hand he really seems like he likes the team and has been invested and all of that.

And on the other hand, he bought an entire football league and basically folded it within weeks.

Wonder if this is actually something to be concerned about, doesn't seem like it's something to not be concerned about lol.
Yeah, something tells me a guy who made his billions on subprime auto loans has no problem being cold blooded. Something tells me that a guy who puts $75M in to a football league and then a month later folds it doesn't suffer from the "sunk cost" syndrome. He'll look at his bottom line and if it crosses his threshold for losses, he'll pull the trigger without remorse.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
My understanding was different from Pierre's.

I thought Dundon became majority owner, and has an option to buy the rest now.

This did come up back when Dundon bought the team.

He has an option to buy Karmanos's share after 3 years, and an option to sell after 3 years and leave.

At the time, Dundon's statement was:
“But I have an option,” Dundon said. “That’s how I do deals. What if I didn’t like hockey? It was a nice option to have, but it turns out it looks like it’s unnecessary.”

Could Covid change his calculus on this? Maybe, but if the season is cancelled completely I think it's more likely he keeps the team than walks away.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, something tells me a guy who made his billions on subprime auto loans has no problem being cold blooded. Something tells me that a guy who puts $75M in to a football league and then a month later folds it doesn't suffer from the "sunk cost" syndrome. He'll look at his bottom line and if it crosses his threshold for losses, he'll pull the trigger without remorse.

My only hope is that it does seem like the Canes are part investment and part “rich guy toy” for him. I know people like Dundon don’t always think this way, but he clearly loves owning the team and is a billionaire - wonder if he’s good with this being a profit-neutral long term investment and is just something fun to be involved in for him.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
This did come up back when Dundon bought the team.

He has an option to buy Karmanos's share after 3 years, and an option to sell after 3 years and leave.

At the time, Dundon's statement was:
“But I have an option,” Dundon said. “That’s how I do deals. What if I didn’t like hockey? It was a nice option to have, but it turns out it looks like it’s unnecessary.”

Could Covid change his calculus on this? Maybe, but if the season is cancelled completely I think it's more likely he keeps the team than walks away.
Yeah, I think he's banking on the season not happening. It's hard to believe he is willing to spend to the cap as we are and take the losses on a full or partial season without fans given his other cost saving moves. I think he is doing this because he knows there is no way he is going to be on the hook for the losses. Either they play with fans, they don't play at all, or PK gets the bill.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Yes, but in this case I'm guessing he'd get back the price he paid for the franchise. If you think the value of the franchise had increased pre-Covid, he'd be walking away from the profit he created.

If you think the value of the franchise has plummeted post-Covid, he'd be getting out before things got worse.

I don't think any sports franchises can be sold for a large amount of money right now, but I think their values will revert once stadiums can open back up.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Yes, but in this case I'm guessing he'd get back the price he paid for the franchise. If you think the value of the franchise had increased pre-Covid, he'd be walking away from the profit he created.

If you think the value of the franchise has plummeted post-Covid, he'd be getting out before things got worse.

I don't think any sports franchises can be sold for a large amount of money right now, but I think their values will revert once stadiums can open back up.

Yes, I think you are correct that the appreciation (or very recent depreciation) will be factored into his value calculation that triggers his choice. I don't know where that falls for him, obviously, but I bet he has a limit and I doubt he is sentimental about it.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I hope he doesn't pin it on the guys calling him cheap on HF.

The guy who started the thread is like banned and everything.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
He also repeatedly said when he bought the team that he knows this is a long term play, and you just can't look at the short term losses and gains. You make your money in this league by being a 20+ year owner to see the real wealth changing ROI. You can weather a short term loss knowing you're set to get 10x-20x ROI over the long haul.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Isn’t Pierre somewhat notorious for pulling things out of his butt?

I mean, I recall reading about the 3 year out clause a while back, but I’m not really going to worry about an ownership change until someone a bit more reputable weighs in, which I doubt would happen any time soon.

I mean really, just a few weeks ago, Dundon was gung ho on bringing in a “star”. That doesn’t really sound to me like someone who’s getting ready to walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad