News and Notes XXII: Now With More Finnish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
This was how I remembered it, but they may change some rules for the next ED so that Seattle won't be in SC Final in the first year.

I don't think NHLPA should be happy about the wavering around the no trade/movement clauses there was the last time around and may have got feedback from the members about it. Players presumably give something in the contract negotiations to get the M-NTC and some control over their future; it's not fair if the clause then gets effectively voided for the ED of a team that didn't exist when the player made his list of teams he accept/decline a move to.

They already committed to having the same expansion draft rules for Seattle before Seattle was even invited to officially apply for expansion. They'll be paying $650 million, the NHL is not gonna kneecap them in anyway. And Florida ain't gonna gift 'em a great coach and two first liners, either.

Ramblings:
  1. I'm not sure we're still in on Saad after getting Ferland. Same role, no? I'd still like to use Chicago to get rid of Darling but I don't want to spend Faulk to do it.
  2. We're ignoring Maenalanen and Fora in our lineups. I know the tendency is to think they can't just step in, but we wouldn't have signed them if we didn't think it was possible.
  3. Faulk is clearly gone, but would it be the worst thing ever if a d-man had to play his opposite side? Reports say Fora is equally comfortable on either side.
  4. If you had asked me on Friday who the most talented player on the Canes was, I'd have said Aho ainec. Today, you can make an argument he's No. 3. I don't see how adding this much talent isn't a great thing.
  5. Carter Hutton is 32, but it's pretty common for goalies to maintain well into their 30s. Lots of guys even have breakthroughs in their 30s. I'd give him three years if we're rid of Darling.
  6. This board sucks. Where can we go next?

3. It's hardly the worst thing ever. Many teams do it. Peters and Francis were very strong believers in having D only play on their handed side, but they're both gone now. Don't know what Brindy will lean towards- the trend has been in that direction, but he played in an era when it was rare to have more than one RH D on a team and where D routinely swapped sides, so he might be a bit more old school in his approach. Or he may not. But having 3 RHD and 3 LHD has traditionally been considered an unimaginable luxury, not a requirement.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Friedman mentioned RFA talks with TVR on the 31 thoughts podcast 31 Thoughts: The Podcast - Sportsnet.ca
-decent chance of faulk not being here
-also heard negotiations between TVR aren't going well
-during the year Francis wanted to keep him and extend him, there's still a possibility of that but he's heard it's been a "real grind"

Not a huge fan of Friedman but if it's true what the hell is the holdup on signing a bottom pairing defenceman

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I was just about to post that. The relevant discussion starts at around ~7:15.

That's more of a inconclusive thought about Faulk than you would expect in this situation. It makes you wonder if pulling a Winnipeg (Byfuglien/Trouba/Myers) with Pesce/Hamilton/Faulk on the right side is a real consideration.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I was just about to post that. The relevant discussion starts at around ~7:15.

That's more of a inconclusive thought about Faulk than you would expect in this situation. It makes you wonder if pulling a Winnipeg (Byfuglien/Trouba/Myers) with Pesce/Hamilton/Faulk on the right side is a real consideration.
While I agree with this, I think you're missing the point of moving Faulk. He's been one of the biggest "culprits" when we talk about Hurricane players that are used to losing, OK with losing and part of the losing culture we currently have. He will be moved for that reason and will have nothing to do with his spot in any potential lineup.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Friedman mentioned RFA talks with TVR on the 31 thoughts podcast 31 Thoughts: The Podcast - Sportsnet.ca
-decent chance of faulk not being here
-also heard negotiations between TVR aren't going well
-during the year Francis wanted to keep him and extend him, there's still a possibility of that but he's heard it's been a "real grind"

Not a huge fan of Friedman but if it's true what the hell is the holdup on signing a bottom pairing defenceman

Why on earth are all of our contract negotiations going so poorly?

If it’s even true.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
While I agree with this, I think you're missing the point of moving Faulk. He's been one of the biggest "culprits" when we talk about Hurricane players that are used to losing, OK with losing and part of the losing culture we currently have. He will be moved for that reason and will have nothing to do with his spot in any potential lineup.

Even if what you're saying is true, you still expect something more definitive from Friedman there.

I'll push back, though. Think about what they've done and look poised to do:

- Fired the GM
- Let the HC pursue a different opportunity
- Traded two core players in Lindholm and Hanifin
- Will let the longest-tenured Hurricanes go in free agency

Will Dundon do more? I can see it. If he doesn't, he still will have succeeded in radically changing the organization.

In my personal opinion, the whole losing bit is a cop out. Skinner and Faulk have yet to play in a playoff game because they've played on teams with sub-par talent. The losing culture mantra is really just a way for owners, front office personnel and fans alike to excuse sub-optimal roster construction. It's a pretty hopeless feeling knowing that team is bad to mediocre because there isn't enough talent. That's been the case for the past decade or so with this franchise.

Last edited:

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I'm starting to get concerned with all of these reports of contract negotiations going poorly.

What the **** is Paul Krepelka doing? Is he incompetent? Is Dundon giving orders to lowball everyone and being cheap? Do players hate playing here? Are we trying to send a message that if you don't play ball you will be traded? Is this an overreaction? Am I even serious?

I want anwsers

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I'm starting to get concerned with all of these reports of contract negotiations going poorly.

What the **** is Paul Krepelka doing? Is he incompetent? Is Dundon giving orders to lowball everyone and being cheap? Do players hate playing here? Are we trying to send a message that if you don't play ball you will be traded? Is this an overreaction? Am I even serious?

I want anwsers
Answers to what

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
the whole losing bit is a cop out.
Agreed. I’m fine with turning the roster over, and I’m fine with management saying they want to change the culture (which is really more aptly termed as the personality) of the team, but us fans have no business getting all judgmental about whether Skinner/Faulk/Hanifin/Lindholm/etc has gotten used to losing, and that’s why they need to be jettisoned. That’s just BS. Skinner f***ing HATES losing, and you’d be a damned fool to have a differing opinion about that.

Trade Skinner because his salary doesn’t slot well on this roster compared to what he brings.

Trade Faulk because you need more than a point shot from your defenseman on the PP.

Trade Lindholm because he would be overpaid as a 3rd line center.

Trade Hanifin because it will take 2+ years before he’s worth the contract he signs today, and you can get 2020 Hanifin right now in Hamilton.

But saying/insinuating these guys are ok with losing is just such garbage. Even if it were true of one or more of them, none of us have the first f***ing clue whether that’s true or not.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Why on earth are all of our contract negotiations going so poorly?

If it’s even true.
GM - cheap, easy route
Coach - cheap, easy route

So it's not surprising to me that we're having trouble re-signing guys. We probably don't want to pay them market rate either.

I just hope this doesn't extend to players like Aho in the future.

I don't think the sky is falling with this franchise's leadership but the seemingly unwillingness to spend money is kind of concerning. I think Dundon wants to start seeing significant change before he starts breaking the bank, but this may be a chicken or egg type scenario where we might not see change until he starts doing so.

I guess we'll see.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Maybe they feel the need to get rid of all the RF loyalists, and start their own rebuild from scratch. They probably don't want bad feeling hanging around and infecting the new crop of youngsters. As for TVR, if RF already tried to extend him and couldn't, we might have a problem.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Maybe they feel the need to get rid of all the RF loyalists, and start their own rebuild from scratch. They probably don't want bad feeling hanging around and infecting the new crop of youngsters. As for TVR, if RF already tried to extend him and couldn't, we might have a problem.

TVR turns 27 this July, badly done by the CBA that sets June 30th as the check-up date and moves his UFA to the next year. For that time he's expecting the standard UFA raise and/or has plans that Carolina isn't part of, or has plans that Carolina is part of and wants a no trade/movement clause. The team has no hurry here.

There's potential to be a salary arbitration case.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Anyone think that maybe Brindy isn’t as hung up on Defensemen playing on the “correct “ side? I know everyone says we need a LHD, but I think Pesce could probably play on his off side if need be.

Slavin-Hamilton
Pesce-Faulk
Fleury- TVR

Also, I think the whole “negotiations aren’t going well” stuff is just a smokescreen. Waddell makes it sound like signing these guys was too hard and thus had to be moved, so it puts the trade in a better light with some fans and media. The guys are RFAs and it’s only June. I’m not saying the trade was bad, just think the whole contract thing is a smokescreen.

Same with saying guys accept losing like mentioned above.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
While I have obviously never played any sport at a pro level, I have played on a lot of bad teams in my life. Losing sucks. Losing will eat at your soul. Losing will pull you down in the ditch with it. I can't imagine what it's like for a pro athlete to be on a losing team year after year.

I do think players can get affected by losing. I don't think Faulk and Skinner are losers, but think they may have seen enough losing here that it could subconsciously let them take their foot off the accelerator at times.

Dr. Phil hat taken off now

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Or maybe it's as simple as TVR wants too much money for what he brings. Face it, he's solid to good 3rd pair guy who can play up in a pinch, but he's a #5/#6, even on this team. Those guys are usually paid less than $2 million per season. If he's asking for more than that, then I don't blame the team for balking. My guess is, because he's got arbitration rights, he's using that as a threat and the team is saying, "have at it". You're a 3rd pairing guy who's never put up more than 16 points in a season. If we really do want him, we let him go to arbitration as the award won't be egregious...but those hearings typically stink up the relationship between player and team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad