News and Notes XXII: Now With More Finnish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Only NMCs need to be protected, not NTCs ( if they do it the same way as the last expansion draft)
This was how I remembered it, but they may change some rules for the next ED so that Seattle won't be in SC Final in the first year.

I don't think NHLPA should be happy about the wavering around the no trade/movement clauses there was the last time around and may have got feedback from the members about it. Players presumably give something in the contract negotiations to get the M-NTC and some control over their future; it's not fair if the clause then gets effectively voided for the ED of a team that didn't exist when the player made his list of teams he accept/decline a move to.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I don't see how we return top 6 center at all. I'm for good ol' fashioned hockey trade with Kings: Skinner/Faulk for Muzzin and Kempe/Toffoli. Or something with Minny (Coyle, Zucker, Nino). Rags won't trade Ziba or Kreider here, don't see anything with Stars though Janmark looks good. Tyler Johnson is most obvious candidate imo. Would love Gustafsson for LD and Saad not sure if they want Faulk. Something with Toronto?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I sure hope we don’t give Hutton a 3 year deal if that’s what he’s looking for.
Dear god I hope not. Hutton is asking for Darling 2.0 honestly. I wouldn't mind Hutton with Ward though I wouldn't like it but Hutton with Darling is an absolute disaster. Honestly best case at this point is to try and use Skinner to try to pry Varlamov+ from Colorado and then sign someone like Cole or Enstrom to round out our defense. Seriously, can this team for once look at some goaltenders that have an actual f***ing track record of success?

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I can't see us signing a big-name LD, for the sole reason that we have Fleury + Bean as young, cost-controlled assets. If we sign Calvin de Haan, it's probably for 4-6 years. With Slavin as untouchable, that's basically blocking Fleury or Bean for the same length of time.

I could see us doing a 1 year deal for LD at the end of July when the UFAs don't have much leverage. Or I could see us making a trade for LD. I suppose if we did sign a UFA for 4-6 years, we could trade Fleury or Bean. It would depend on how much those players are valued around the league.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Ramblings:
  1. I'm not sure we're still in on Saad after getting Ferland. Same role, no? I'd still like to use Chicago to get rid of Darling but I don't want to spend Faulk to do it.
  2. We're ignoring Maenalanen and Fora in our lineups. I know the tendency is to think they can't just step in, but we wouldn't have signed them if we didn't think it was possible.
  3. Faulk is clearly gone, but would it be the worst thing ever if a d-man had to play his opposite side? Reports say Fora is equally comfortable on either side.
  4. If you had asked me on Friday who the most talented player on the Canes was, I'd have said Aho ainec. Today, you can make an argument he's No. 3. I don't see how adding this much talent isn't a great thing.
  5. Carter Hutton is 32, but it's pretty common for goalies to maintain well into their 30s. Lots of guys even have breakthroughs in their 30s. I'd give him three years if we're rid of Darling.
  6. This board sucks. Where can we go next?

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I don't see why we should trade Skinner. Faulk, yeah, i agree, but Skinner? Ferland and Martinook won't produce that much, Necas/Svech unproven, u never know with Rask, Justin is old. I have high hopes for Foegele and Zykov but i don't see why we should trade Skinner just to trade him.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Unless Brassard is a good enough center for Kessel, I don’t see how we’re a good spot for the Kessel run. He needs a good playmaker. I’m still not assuming Aho is playing center.

Didn’t Kessel just score an absurd amount of points not playing on Malkin or Crosby’s wing?

He had a lot on the PP, but he would easily slot in with TT and Aho there.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The question to ask is how much would you pay for Skinner as a pure rental? For me, that's a 2nd + a B-prospect (Roy/Gauthier/Saarela/McKeown/etc.); those assets are expendable given the depth the organization has right now on both sides of the puck.

If the market for Skinner offers something higher than that, trade him now or at the deadline for a similar return. If the market offers something lower than that, keep him for the year and let him walk next July.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
If in fact Skinner has only given a 5 team approval list, which is his right, his return is going to be way below what we're hoping for.

Great. No trade then. 30+ goals on a contract year unless he pulls an Eric Staal and just quits. If we suck at dealine, he gets moved for some nice pix. If we make the playoffs, he is happy and signs a contract.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Ramblings:
  1. I'm not sure we're still in on Saad after getting Ferland. Same role, no? I'd still like to use Chicago to get rid of Darling but I don't want to spend Faulk to do it.
  2. We're ignoring Maenalanen and Fora in our lineups. I know the tendency is to think they can't just step in, but we wouldn't have signed them if we didn't think it was possible.
  3. Faulk is clearly gone, but would it be the worst thing ever if a d-man had to play his opposite side? Reports say Fora is equally comfortable on either side.
  4. If you had asked me on Friday who the most talented player on the Canes was, I'd have said Aho ainec. Today, you can make an argument he's No. 3. I don't see how adding this much talent isn't a great thing.
  5. Carter Hutton is 32, but it's pretty common for goalies to maintain well into their 30s. Lots of guys even have breakthroughs in their 30s. I'd give him three years if we're rid of Darling.
  6. This board sucks. Where can we go next?

I don't see any reason to think we are out on Saad because of this deal, especially if Skinner is still being shopped. With Lindholm out and Ferland in the need for forwards hasn't really changed.

If Skinner stays I can see an argument for not going for Saad but I'd still make the move. Especially if it's adding Darling and Hossa. To me it's not using Faulk to unload Darling, it's taking Hossa to unload Darling.

Also, Kev: are you ok with the extra day for this trade now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad