News and Notes XXII: Now With More Finnish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yep. Now just copy the Capitals who put their #1PP unit out for the entire 2 minutes. We'd click at 30% I bet.
Honestly, even if you shift them regularly, the opponent will have to spend all their best PKers to stop that line, so even the 2nd unit would have it relatively easy.

(assuming Skinner isn't moved... we can revisit if he is)

Skinner-Staal-Williams-Rask-Faulk could still do some damage with the first line taking all the PK pressure.

We very well could be a team next year that you absolutely don't want to take a penalty against. With the kind of physical game that we're clearly trying to embrace, that could play into our favor very quickly.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Honestly, even if you shift them regularly, the opponent will have to spend all their best PKers to stop that line, so even the 2nd unit would have it relatively easy.

(assuming Skinner isn't moved... we can revisit if he is)

Skinner-Staal-Williams-Rask-Faulk could still do some damage with the first line taking all the PK pressure.

We very well could be a team next year that you absolutely don't want to take a penalty against. With the kind of physical game that we're clearly trying to embrace, that could play into our favor very quickly.

The excitement is building! Just trying not to remind myself that I was excited last year too...

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Stuff from friedmans thoughts. Who knows the validity of this stuff but here you go.
2. I really don’t like taking shots at players who get traded. You’re gone, move on, let’s go. Dougie Hamilton was hit with personal criticism when dealt from Boston to Calgary, and now while en route to Carolina. Hamilton politely declined a request to address all this, not wanting to toss more gasoline on the fire.
The move out of Massachusetts definitely was a personality clash, with differing opinions on who was right and who was wrong. After making a few calls, this is not about who’s attending team slumber parties. This is about role. Hamilton did not formally request a trade, but there is confirmation there were discussions about his spot in the lineup. There was agreement a move would be better for both sides.
The Flames wanted to re-unite TJ Brodie and Mark Giordano, which will happen. They felt Travis Hamonic would benefit from playing with a steadier partner, as opposed to Brodie, more of a jazz-musician freelancer. That would take Hamilton off the top pair, which didn’t thrill him. He also didn’t start last season on the top power play, eventually replacing Brodie midway through. That was another bone of contention. This was necessary for both player and team. Hamilton will benefit from Carolina: he hears everything. Less noise there.
Noah Hanifin and Elias Lindholm were unhappy, too. Their contract talks were difficult, with Lindholm’s last conversation ending in a blowup the day before he was traded. A lot of players eager to prove something.
3. Last summer, when Calgary traded for Hamonic, the Flames fought hard to keep Adam Fox from the Islanders. Before Round 1 on Friday, Flames GM Brad Treliving made his final pitch to Fox’s advisor, Matt Keator. Treliving wasn’t going to risk losing him for nothing.
4. Jeff Skinner, who has a no-move clause, provided Carolina with a small list of where he’ll go.
7. There were rumblings Jake Muzzin was part of the Pacioretty trade, but that was denied. The Canadiens are believed to have inquired about Carolina’s Victor Rask.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Some bits from here:LeBrun Notebook: John Tavares' list of teams, Carter Hutton...

Hot Hutton

Carter Hutton’s .931 save percentage apparently travels well as eight teams reached out Sunday once the UFA speaking period opened.
I believe by Monday morning that list had been cut down to six teams and likely in two groups, teams offering a solid No. 2 job and teams offering a chance at competing for the No. 1 job.
Teams I know that reached out to the Hutton camp include Chicago, Buffalo, Carolina and the New York Islanders. Obviously, the Isles, Sabres and Hurricanes can offer a chance at competing for a No. 1 job while the Blackhawks, given the uncertainty with Corey Crawford’s health, can at least offer a solid No. 2, plus who knows.
This guy isn’t a one-year wonder, remember that Hutton also pushed Pekka Rinne when he was struggling a few years ago in Nashville.

Skinner still not dealt

The hope in the Hurricanes’ front office was that Jeff Skinner would have been dealt during draft week and obviously that didn’t materialize. As of Monday morning, the sense was that things were fairly quiet on that end now. The team must wait for the next trigger-point to play out.
Which is to say some teams who don’t have him rated quite as high as other options they’re looking at will come circling back to Carolina over the next 2-3 weeks when they strike out on those options.
So the Hurricanes must be patient and they plan to be.
I think to some degree the ‘Canes thought once the Ilya Kovalchuk sweepstakes were over they might be next on deck with Skinner but as it turns out that hasn’t really generated. One reason is that San Jose, which lost out on Kovalchuk, doesn’t appear to have much interest in Skinner. And of course the Sharks are focused on Tavares at the moment.
I speculated last Friday about Pittsburgh’s interest in Skinner, GM Jim Rutherford, of course, drafted Skinner so that would make sense, but again as of Monday morning things on the Skinner front were quiet.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
According to Friedman on the 31 thoughts podcast, the negotiations have apparently "been a real grind" thus far with TVR. I wonder if it reaches a point where we decide to move him instead of Faulk, and just roll with a stacked right side of Hamilton-Pesce-Faulk. We'd still have to bring in another Lefty, but it takes pressure off having to find a more offensively minded LHD to add to the group. And then in a year or two you could move on from Faulk and work Fox into the lineup.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
According to Friedman on the 31 thoughts podcast, the negotiations have apparently "been a real grind" thus far with TVR. I wonder if it reaches a point where we decide to move him instead of Faulk, and just roll with a stacked right side of Hamilton-Pesce-Faulk. We'd still have to bring in another Lefty, but it takes pressure off having to find a more offensively minded LHD to add to the group. And then in a year or two you could move on from Faulk and work Fox into the lineup.
The thought of having Pesce or Faulk on our 3rd defensive pairing is absurd in a good way.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Faulk's NTC that kicks in July 1 is the main motivator to deal him. Given the apparent struggles they are having moving Skinner (NMC), I'd guess they will try to have a deal done this week. There should be a ton of interest from teams that just missed out on Carlson.

Can anyone provide a confirmation from an official source that Faulk has a NTC? I keep seeing it posted but can't find anything official. It is not showing in his contract on CapFriendly either where Slavin's M-NTC shows beginning in 21-22...

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Can anyone provide a confirmation from an official source that Faulk has a NTC? I keep seeing it posted but can't find anything official. It is not showing in his contract on CapFriendly either where Slavin's M-NTC shows beginning in 21-22...
I heard he did NOT have one.

But won't bother digging for info. I just assumed Dreger or whoever it was, knew.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
What the hell another player that had contract negotiaton issues. Although im glad because i dont want ryan back here, but something is up. this being cheap is gonna bite us in the ass. I mean is he not gonna pay any of our young kids after their ELC because he doesn't think their worth it.

Is all this being overblown by a media that is doing its best to bash this organization/dundon?
EDIT: To clarify im not upset at all Derek Ryan isnt coming back. This post was solely about the contract negotiation aspects as it coming out a lot of players are having issues (Hanafin, Lindholm, TVR, Skinner, Ryan) who knows who it will be next.
Derek Ryan, F, Carolina Hurricanes – Carolina management likes Ryan and made a pitch to keep him but, as seems to be the case with a lot of things with the Hurricanes, didn’t have the appetite to pay market price to keep him. Bill Peters loved him in Carolina so it wouldn’t be surprising to see Calgary take a run at him.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
What the hell another player that had contract negotiaton issues. Although im glad because i dont want ryan back here, but something is up. this being cheap is gonna bite us in the ass. I mean is he not gonna pay any of our young kids after their ELC because he doesn't think their worth it.

Is all this being overblown by a media that is doing its best to bash this organization/dundon?
lol we're officially at the "get pissed because we don't want to pay Derek f'n Ryan" stage of the season. I guess we're just going to ignore the fact he was terribad this year and part of the reason we loathed Peters was because of his desire to get him on the ice as much as possible, especially in late game situations where he consistently melted down. Let Calgary take him, addition by subtraction as far as I'm concerned.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

I don't think it's about being cheap. I think it's about signing good deals. If you have a habit of giving out an extra million or two to guys, that'll cost you one less top tier player in the end.

We've seen it plenty over the past decade. Ward, Gleason, Ruutu, Semin, Staal. If Eric was making 7 instead of 9, and Cam was making 4 instead of 6. They could've spent 6 million on a top 9 player instead of 2 for 7 years.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
lol we're officially at the "get pissed because we don't want to pay Derek f'n Ryan" stage of the season. I guess we're just going to ignore the fact he was terribad this year and part of the reason we loathed Peters was because of his desire to get him on the ice as much as possible, especially in late game situations where he consistently melted down. Let Calgary take him, addition by subtraction as far as I'm concerned.
Although im glad because i dont want ryan back here
Guess you ignored that part because it would make your post invalid. This was more about contract negotiations it seem to be issues with more than a handful of our players I couldn't care less about Derek Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad