News and Notes Thread 10: Where all media bias gets beaten to death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The reason the return would be so large is that defensemen of Sekera's caliber are incredibly hard to acquire. The return might be large by trade standards, but you're not going to get anything back as good as Sekera is now. You can get quality depth and some futures, but you're not going to get a top pairing guy unless you strike gold with some of the futures.

Yeah, I understand the reason why the return would large and I wasn't saying because of that, he should be traded. My position all along has been try and re-sign him and only if it is evident you can't would you consider trading him.

I was only saying that in addition to the reasons above, there also is likely to be very few "decent" rental defensemen available as well so demand would be huge IF the Canes ever have to go down that road.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I say wear the logo'd out jerseys during warm ups and then switch over to the normal jerseys for the games.

The problem with that is, it won't generate revenue. I can't see an advertiser wanting to pay to have a logo on a jersey that is likely only seen for 15 minutes of warm-up by a couple of thousand people. An advertiser is going to want their logo seen by the 15,000+ fans and more importantly, on TV.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
"Man, you must really like tide"

I'm not going to forget these things exist if I don't see them on a sweater 82 times a year. Advertising is stupid.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
"Man, you must really like tide"

I'm not going to forget these things exist if I don't see them on a sweater 82 times a year. Advertising is stupid.

I'm kind of indifferent to it honestly. I'd prefer not to have it, but I really don't think it will take away anything from my viewing experience. I'm not one that really cares much about jerseys though. Don't buy them, don't own any (I might have an old, cheap plain Canes one somewhere in the closet), etc...

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Dumb question.

Would this solely help the league with revenue or would it trickle down to the teams? What I'm getting at is would it help us stay afloat at all?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It would trickle down to all the teams, but it would just make matters worse in a way. Teams like the Leafs and Wings are going to be signing deals worth north of 10 million a year easily, while teams like us, Arizona, Nashville, etc. would be lucky to get a 5th of what they are. There's no way that this income wouldn't be factored in to the cap situation, and it would only exacerbate things for teams like us over both the long term and short term.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It would trickle down to all the teams, but it would just make matters worse in a way. Teams like the Leafs and Wings are going to be signing deals worth north of 10 million a year easily, while teams like us, Arizona, Nashville, etc. would be lucky to get a 5th of what they are. There's no way that this income wouldn't be factored in to the cap situation, and it would only exacerbate things for teams like us over both the long term and short term.

Serious question though...how is that any different than advertising (non-jersey) today? I'm sure teams like the Leafs and Wings take in vastly more advertising dollars than the Canes right now.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Serious question though...how is that any different than advertising (non-jersey) today? I'm sure teams like the Leafs and Wings take in vastly more advertising dollars than the Canes right now.

It's not, it's just compounding a situation that's already heavily slanted and making it even worse.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC

Ah. I see. Makes sense.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net

Case in point.

Man United: $109 million a year
Arsenal: $100 million
Chelsea: $80 million
Liverpool: $75 million

West Brom: $4.5 million
Burnley: $3.3 million
Leicester: $1.7 million
Southampton: $1.7 million

Are they also going to start changing the jerseys every season or two to sell more?

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
soccer is the most popular sport in the world and they have ads on their jerseys

it still looks stupid as ****

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I guess they don't mind $0 in jersey sales

I don't care for it, but it's not blatantly insulting or obnoxious like some jerseys in Finland are with the advertisements.

But let's face it, they'd probably offer up ones without the corporate logo on it for fans anyway, so what's it matter?

soccer is the most popular sport in the world and they have ads on their jerseys

it still looks stupid as ****

no?

if advertisements on the jerseys have to happen, wouldn't you prefer to have them classy looking like that instead of the multitude of other jarring ways they could be put on there?

I think the problem at hand here is that most NHL fans don't have a frame of reference for what ads on jerseys look like other than to point to certain Euro leagues and soccer. The ECHL and AHL have had ads on game jerseys for *years* now. Here's a game-worn ECHL jersey I have and you can see just how relatively minor the ad is on the jersey.

Marlinfronttable.jpg

Or let's look at an AHL game to see what it might look like on our jerseys - here you see Charlotte's Novant Health ad.

andrew_rowe_110614_full.jpg

I'm fairly neutral about it. It's been done and I'd wager that the NHL would take this approach over the soccer or Euro approaches.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Yeah, IF this is going to happen, they could do a lot worse than that mockup.

The mockup is pretty horrible. They could do worse, but they would have to try really hard.

I'm dead against it. I hate it in soccer, and I have never purchased a soccer club's jersey explicitly because of the ads. When the corporate whoring is more important than the team or its colors, I'm sorry, but how is that not a problem? I'm wearing the jersey to represent pride in my community, and I'm sorry, my community does not belong to Exxon.

If you want me to wear an advertisement, you damn well better be paying me for it.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
The mockup is pretty horrible. They could do worse, but they would have to try really hard.

I'm dead against it. I hate it in soccer, and I have never purchased a soccer club's jersey explicitly because of the ads. When the corporate whoring is more important than the team or its colors, I'm sorry, but how is that not a problem? I'm wearing the jersey to represent pride in my community, and I'm sorry, my community does not belong to Exxon.

If you want me to wear an advertisement, you damn well better be paying me for it.

i have lots of soccer jerseys and i will have lots more

i am wearing the jersey because it is what the team i support wears. i dont care what is on it as long as it looks good. most of the ads are worked into the overall aesthetic of the jersey very well. manchester united's current chevrolet jerseys are absolutely hideous, for instance. that toronto jersey posted earlier looks very nice in my opinion.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Case in point.

Man United: $109 million a year
Arsenal: $100 million
Chelsea: $80 million
Liverpool: $75 million

West Brom: $4.5 million
Burnley: $3.3 million
Leicester: $1.7 million
Southampton: $1.7 million

Are they also going to start changing the jerseys every season or two to sell more?

Exactomundo. Not that I would expect it to be quite this bad in the NHL, but there would most definitely be a HUGE difference between the haves and the have nots. And the only hope a have not would get to change that situation is to draft a borderline generational level talent (Stamkos, Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin).

Hell of a season Southampton's having right now, doubt anyone saw this coming.

You mean like this? :sarcasm:

kdu2chifq6zrfamkr9op.jpg

I must buy this.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Exactomundo. Not that I would expect it to be quite this bad in the NHL, but there would most definitely be a HUGE difference between the haves and the have nots. And the only hope a have not would get to change that situation is to draft a borderline generational level talent (Stamkos, Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin).

Hell of a season Southampton's having right now, doubt anyone saw this coming.

I must buy this.

Note to self...Lysol/Clorox any and all surfaces Dave may have touched at the draft party...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad