News and Notes Thread 10: Where all media bias gets beaten to death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braxton Wolff

Nov 3, 2014
Good to see JR didn't leave behind his penchant for too much term & NMC's when he left here.

Oops, didn't see the discussion in the other thread

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Chip Alexander @ice_chip · 40m 40 minutes ago
Lines unchanged from Columbus game. Skinner on fourth line. Ice time Tuesday was his lowest in non-injury game since rookie year.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip · 52m 52 minutes ago
Malone with red jersey today. Working with top six with Tlusty in yellow.

So wait, if Tlusty is unable to go, Skinner will stay on the 4th line and Malone will take Tlusty's spot?

Also, re: Tlusty. Good news is he skating. Bad news, is he is in a yellow no-contact jersey.

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes · 1h 1 hour ago
Jiri Tlusty practicing with the #Canes in a no-contact sweater.

Looks like Gleason is injured as he isn't practicing.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I'm guessing this means they expect him to play and they still want Skinner with Mcclement. I would imagine if Tlusty is out Skinner will be with Semin and Staal.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Well, if the 4th line demotion is a shame tactic, no better way to get the message across than having Brad Malone take a Top 6 spot ahead of you. :laugh:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ok...maybe this is why.

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes · 40s 40 seconds ago
Tlusty said he feels like he should be able to play tomorrow vs. #CBJ.

If they are confident Tlusty will be playing, then it makes sense Malone just filling in for practice.

EDIT: precisely what WTF said.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Besides, having a cousin fifteen years younger than you is almost as weird anyway.

Not at all. My dad was the youngest in his family and his oldest brother was almost 20 years older than him. On his side of the family, there is only 1 cousin that is younger than me. Most of them are anywhere from 5-25 years older than me.

And my kids have two cousins 15-20 years older than them (on my wife's side).

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Not at all. My dad was the youngest in his family and his oldest brother was almost 20 years older than him. On his side of the family, there is only 1 cousin that is younger than me. Most of them are anywhere from 5-25 years older than me.

And my kids have two cousins 15-20 years older than them (on my wife's side).

My dads oldest brother was 20 years older than him. So I have cousins that are 30ish years older than me.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
My youngest uncle didn't get married until he was 40. I have a cousin that's about 20 years younger than me, and her brother is a couple of years younger than her. I call them my "baby cousins", but it's more convenient to think of them as my niece and nephew.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
http://snyrangersblog.com/rangers/buzz-rangers-believed-to-have-interest-in-andrej-sekera/

Not a lot new here and it seems consistent with what we've said. Canes are in no hurry to move Sekera at this time, but if they do, there will be LOTS of suitors.

11/6/14 | 10:41AM: The Rangers are one of several teams that will have interest in Sekera but there is no indication that the Hurricanes make a decision on him quickly. (CBC)

11/2/14 | 7:51AM: Sekera will be a highly sought after player and will “easily find a new home.” (Ottawa Sun)

11/1/14/ 9:07PM: Elliotte Friedman notes that the Rangers are believed to have interest in Carolina defenseman Andrej Sekera.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
This is my trademarked phrase for being wrong, but I'd be shocked if they moved Sekera before the deadline, if at all.

That's where I've been all along and here's the various scenarios I see.

1) They'll try to re-sign him, no matter if they are out of it or not by the deadline.
2) If they aren't able to re-sign him by the deadline, they'll keep him if they are close enough to challenge for a playoff spot (which I don't expect them to be).
3) If they are out of it by the deadline, haven't re-signed him and believe they won't be able to, then they'll try to move him

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
Lets take a journey back to 2012. JR decided to sign a 29 year old Gleason to a 4 year deal. Thus 2 years later, he did not live up to that contact and was traded. We also signed Ruutu to another long term deal. In hindsight, we should have traded one if not both for something of value.

Fast forward to the present. We have two UFAs in Sekera and Tlusty. Yet again, they are both in high demand, especially Sekera. Does Francis make the same decision as JR did in 2012?

I'd say if we are out of it by the deadline unload one if not both. We cannot afford to make the same mistake again and cripple the salary cap if they both turn to derp mode like Ruutu and Gleason did after 2 years of their contract.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Lets take a journey back to 2012. JR decided to sign a 29 year old Gleason to a 4 year deal. Thus 2 years later, he did not live up to that contact and was traded. We also signed Ruutu to another long term deal. In hindsight, we should have traded one if not both for something of value.

Fast forward to the present. We have two UFAs in Sekera and Tlusty. Yet again, they are both in high demand, especially Sekera. Does Francis make the same decision as JR did in 2012?

I'd say if we are out of it by the deadline unload one if not both. We cannot afford to make the same mistake again and cripple the salary cap if they both turn to derp mode like Ruutu and Gleason did after 2 years of their contract.

Not every soon-to-be FA is the same, though. I remember many of us weren't happy with either contract, and it had nothing to do with the principle of not re-signing players and everything to do with the players themselves. Both players proved the haters on these boards right, something that doesn't happen often.

Different players, different issues. Both will be available at the deadline, so if we trade them we trade them. But Tlusty isn't going to have the incredibly predictable decline due to age that Ruutu had, and Gleason was already showing signs of derp mode when we re-signed him.

Not saying we should trade them or re-sign them, just that this really isn't a case of history definitely repeating itself. Different players that means different things to this team now than Ruutu and Gleason did in 2012.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think there are some differences though, from the Ruutu/Gleason situation to Sekera/Tlusty in terms of where they are in their careers and the trajectory of their play.

Sekera, if looks like he is on the upswing and has shown he can play top pairing minutes and has very good skills (which wasn't the case with Gleason) Yes, he's only a year younger than Gleason was, but he's a much better player on a different trajectory. Tlusty is younger than Ruutu was, is on an upswing, and given his style of play, there aren't some of the same concerns as Ruutu.

My view on this..is that you try to keep Sekera, because trying to get a #1D via some other method will cost as much if not more. If you can't re-sign him, then trade him.

Tlusty? to me it all depends on the price. I like him, but he's a complimentary player and if it will cost too much/too long, then the Canes shouldn't sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad