News and Notes Thread 10: Where all media bias gets beaten to death

Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Lets take a journey back to 2012. JR decided to sign a 29 year old Gleason to a 4 year deal. Thus 2 years later, he did not live up to that contact and was traded. We also signed Ruutu to another long term deal. In hindsight, we should have traded one if not both for something of value.

Fast forward to the present. We have two UFAs in Sekera and Tlusty. Yet again, they are both in high demand, especially Sekera. Does Francis make the same decision as JR did in 2012?

I'd say if we are out of it by the deadline unload one if not both. We cannot afford to make the same mistake again and cripple the salary cap if they both turn to derp mode like Ruutu and Gleason did after 2 years of their contract.

Sekera's play and development eerily remind me of Seideberg. It was awful to see Seidenberg go off to FLA so cheaply, and the team had nothing to show for it but A Ward, obtained later. Seidenberg blossomed into a top 4 d-man playing with Pitkanen in 2009, and JR let him walk in his prime over chump change in today's NHL.

I'll echo everyone else's sentiment about both Tlusty and especially Sekera. You have a mid-season talk with both of them. If something can be worked out within reason, great. If not, then good luck to you because you're going to be shipped off to the highest bidder.

I really hope, however, that the full-court press is put on Sekera. We don't really replace actual top-4 d-men very well. Tlusty, I prefer to keep as well, but were I the GM, I'd certainly entertain offers for him, hoping for an overpayment...

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
IF the Canes decide to trade Sekera at the deadline, he should get a huge return. There are quite a few solid defensemen that are UFA's to be, but most of the good ones are on likely playoff teams:

Green, Boychuk, Ehrhoff, Beauchemin, Martinez, P. Martin, M. Staal, etc..

Really, the only ones that I could see teams maybe wanting and them being in play (from a deadline rental standpoint) other than Sekera are Franson, Michalek, Meszaros, and Petry. Of course, it all depends where those teams stand at the deadline, but I'm fairly confident Buffalo, AZ, and EDM will be sellers.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
If I'm Francis, I let Peters make the call on Sekera. The Coach seems to have a vision for what he wants out there, and if Andrej's game is part of it, keep him.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
IMO you keep Sekera as top pairing D men don't grow on trees. Tlusty while productive, is a replaceable part. Some one will easily step into his shoes if he is gone. I could see Brock McGinn filling his role easily.....or the kid we get back for him in deadline deal.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Filling 15g 35pt Tlusty shoes is somewhat easy. Filling 30g 60pt Tlusty shoes is hard. Does anyone know how good Tlusty actually is?

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Filling 15g 35pt Tlusty shoes is somewhat easy. Filling 30g 60pt Tlusty shoes is hard. Does anyone know how good Tlusty actually is?
I see him as no more than a 20/20 guy and it's the 20a that are the bigger challenge. He's just not really a good set-up guy and he rarely shoots from outside so rebounds won't often pad the total.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
^ I have to think if Tlusty/Staal/Semin stay together most of the year and the other two get going, he's going to pick up some accidental assists. I said I thought he could be a 25/25 guy after his breakout year where he scored 17 playing with Staal in the 2nd half. I still think that.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/hockey-central-at-noon/

Skip to ~14:05 of the November 6th podcast for an interesting interview with GMRF. He really put the kibosh on the E. Staal trade talk. Also, it’s good to hear that they’re looking at re-signing Sekera.

Not sure if this is the same interview, but here is the text version of similar quotes for those who'd rather read:

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2014/11/6/francis-were-not-looking-to-move-eric-staal

I have to think Sekera and/or Tlusty might be two of the better players on the market at the deadline if Carolina is out of it. Moving just them two could yield a HUGE return. Maybe they buyout Ward after this year if they're feeling saucy, and flip Semin for almost anything (not that I'd do it). Boom, rebuild with style.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The fact that Tlusty took a 1 year deal tells me that he wants to get paid. No doubt Carolina, after a sub-par year, offered him a longer team, lesser value deal.

He's most likely gone, unless he performs good enough that the bias achieved from watching him, night in and night out, which is greater in Tlusty's case as he does so many small, unnoticeable things extremely well, to push him over the edge that RF may want to keep him at the price he wants, but not enough to make other teams want to pay for him.

That threshold is unknown, but I think it ranges between very small and non-existent.

I'm loathe to loose another top-sixer, and I'm still a Tlusty fanboy, so I hope they retain him.

There are a few questions that Ron Francis needs to address;
--How far are the Hurricanes' from contention?
--Is this contention a consistent "one-and-done", or actual Stanley Cup contention (if you believe that anything can happen in the playoffs, this is irrelevant)?
--Can the Hurricanes' get there and remain there before Staal, Semin and Sekera start to decline?

The last is important, because while I believe, and it is reasonable to do so, that the Hurricanes are not far from the playoffs (though this can be extended to many teams in the League), the more burning question is if the Hurricanes' can get there before Semin and Staal begin to decline.

I think the 'Canes have a 5 year window before Semin and Staal pass from "useful overpaid vets" to "borderline useless". Realistically, if the Hurricanes' can get the pieces they need, they can compete and have a window for 3 years before they need to replace E. Staal and Semin's production.

A big cog in this is Marc Staal. If he goes to FA, there will be rumors that he is headed to Carolina in the offseason. Whether those are true or not don't matter at the deadline; it means that Carolina could realistically acquire him because they are the only players willing to pay the full price to New York. In short, they could add another top-4 defenseman, long term, for pieces that don't have an impact on the roster right now.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
IF the Canes decide to trade Sekera at the deadline, he should get a huge return. There are quite a few solid defensemen that are UFA's to be, but most of the good ones are on likely playoff teams:

Green, Boychuk, Ehrhoff, Beauchemin, Martinez, P. Martin, M. Staal, etc..

Really, the only ones that I could see teams maybe wanting and them being in play (from a deadline rental standpoint) other than Sekera are Franson, Michalek, Meszaros, and Petry. Of course, it all depends where those teams stand at the deadline, but I'm fairly confident Buffalo, AZ, and EDM will be sellers.

The reason the return would be so large is that defensemen of Sekera's caliber are incredibly hard to acquire. The return might be large by trade standards, but you're not going to get anything back as good as Sekera is now. You can get quality depth and some futures, but you're not going to get a top pairing guy unless you strike gold with some of the futures.

Unless we flat out can't re-sign him, I'm dead against a trade. I'd rather lose him in free agency for nothing than trade him while there's still a chance to keep him here.

I'm fine with trading Tlusty though. If he re signs for a reasonable number, fine, keep him- but if he wants a huge paycheck, nice knowing ya.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
miller high life is the champagne of beers wtf are you talking about

i am fine with ads on jerseys as long as they go the european soccer route and not the european hockey route

So this?

OEeQqfs.jpg

Yeah, **** that. If the NHL puts ads on jerseys, I would never buy another one. Except for one, second hand, to publicly burn. Maybe to deface and throw on the ice.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I say wear the logo'd out jerseys during warm ups and then switch over to the normal jerseys for the games.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I don't care for it, but it's not blatantly insulting or obnoxious like some jerseys in Finland are with the advertisements.

But let's face it, they'd probably offer up ones without the corporate logo on it for fans anyway, so what's it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad