New York State to start allowing Some Attendance 2/23

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Did you expect Tsai to operate at a loss all season when an opportunity presents itself to recoup some money in a one-off of a season? Restaurants in NYC have raised their prices or added on COVID surcharges. It sucks but it is what it is. Not illegal. Distasteful? Yes, and I don’t patronize places like that.

So you think Tsai, because he has more money than God should charge a lower price? It would be nice but I get why he isn’t. Because he thinks the market will bear $600 and a $200 rapid test.

If the Islanders decide to charge $300 each for the 1,400 seats, is that any less gross when their normal prices run $140 and under?
I'm all for passing through the cost of the COVID test. That's a direct mandate from the state and I don't think he's going to charge more than what he paid for that test.

I didn't say it was illegal. I've called it unethical, greedy and tacky. Nowhere did I say he's not allowed to do it, but there's a difference between being allowed to do something and actually doing it.

As for the restaurants, aside from the chains, yeah, a COVID surcharge should be added and is legal as per NYC regulations (I think they can charge up to 10% though many stay within the 3-5% window) because these people lost their livelihoods for the better part of a year. Joe Tsai didn't.

As for the Islanders piece, no, I wouldn't find it any less gross than what the Nets are supposedly doing.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
First of all, you know next to nothing about me other than the fact that I'm an Islander fan, so while it might be easier for you to classify me based on your pre-conceived notions of people you've met in the past, fine, but the things you're spewing about who I am and my opinion on the 'hand-me-down mentality' couldn't be farther from the truth. I do my fair share when it comes to charity and I'll leave it at that.

People are going to go to the games no matter what the price is. It's not accessible to the vast majority of their fanbase and you're 100% right, too bad, so sad. And when it's not a pandemic, I'm with you (and that mantra) because that is how capitalism works; and there's nothing wrong with making money and there will always be haves/have nots. It comes across as tacky to gouge people at this time. You don't have to agree with me and I don't have to agree with you. You're certainly not going to change my mind on the matter either.

I don't know the full story behind the cost of operations behind the Nets and I'm not even going to pretend I do. I also don't know the exact price, but there's been rumors floating around that the number is high. In my eyes, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this regard, it looks tacky. They won't be the only team that does this though and at that point, I will also consider those teams/their owners tacky. I know my opinion means nothing and I know that this is the way that the market will be run. I'm also certain people will pay that price to attend. Doesn't mean I don't think it's wrong.

But by all means, protect the pockets of those billionaires today. Thankfully they have a bunch of people like yourself out there defending their actions.

Oy you are way to riled up about this to have what seems like a calm conversation. I think you missed part of my point, but I don't think I want to get into this topic with somebody this heated up about it on a hockey forum.

And your first paragraph and your last paragraph are certainly nice bookends. Flip out because you think I made some assumption about you and then punctuate your post with wild assumptions about me. That's when I know it's time to agree to disagree.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Oy you are way to riled up about this to have what seems like a calm conversation. I think you missed part of my point, but I don't think I want to get into this topic with somebody this heated up about it on a hockey forum.

And your first paragraph and your last paragraph are certainly nice bookends. Flip out because you think I made some assumption about you and then punctuate your post with wild assumptions about me.
I mean, I'm not heated at all and I think I calmly and coherently spelled out how I felt about the situation.

I didn't make an assumption about you either, you defended the action and I simply alluded to that point because, well, it's true.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
First of all, you know next to nothing about me other than the fact that I'm an Islander fan, so while it might be easier for you to classify me based on your pre-conceived notions of people you've met in the past, fine, but the things you're spewing about who I am and my opinion on the 'hand-me-down mentality' couldn't be farther from the truth. I do my fair share when it comes to charity and I'll leave it at that.

People are going to go to the games no matter what the price is. It's not accessible to the vast majority of their fanbase and you're 100% right, too bad, so sad. And when it's not a pandemic, I'm with you (and that mantra) because that is how capitalism works; and there's nothing wrong with making money and there will always be haves/have nots. It comes across as tacky to gouge people at this time. You don't have to agree with me and I don't have to agree with you. You're certainly not going to change my mind on the matter either.

I don't know the full story behind the cost of operations behind the Nets and I'm not even going to pretend I do. I also don't know the exact price, but there's been rumors floating around that the number is high. In my eyes, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this regard, it looks tacky. They won't be the only team that does this though and at that point, I will also consider those teams/their owners tacky. I know my opinion means nothing and I know that this is the way that the market will be run. I'm also certain people will pay that price to attend. Doesn't mean I don't think it's wrong.

But by all means, protect the pockets of those billionaires today. Thankfully they have a bunch of people like yourself out there defending their actions.
No one needs to protect the pockets of billionaires, but he kinda earned that money and his companies employ a lot of people. He bought a team in a major market and the team is electing to charge what they feel the market will bear. He doesn’t need to give out subsidies because he earned his keep.

If market balks at the price, then they will adjust it. Only Isles fans think professional sports leagues games are $15 college night every game.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
No one needs to protect the pockets of billionaires, but he kinda earned that money and his companies employ a lot of people. He bought a team in a major market and the team is electing to charge what they feel the market will bear. He doesn’t need to give out subsidies because he earned his keep.

If market balks at the price, then they will adjust it. Only Isles fans think professional sports leagues games are $15 college night every game.
As stated earlier: in normal times..I agree. In the midst/recovery of one of the greatest worldwide emergencies we’ve seen...that’s where the free market stuff goes out the window for me.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
As stated earlier: in normal times..I agree. In the midst/recovery of one of the greatest worldwide emergencies we’ve seen...that’s where the free market stuff goes out the window for me.
Again, the market will dictate whether that price is sustainable in normal and under Covid conditions. It’s entertainment and disposable income. It’s not food or shelter, so who cares what the times have to do with it and what a billionaire owner is doing with his money.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

If having fans loses money, the team will have zero fans instead. There’s no way to get your laughable fantasy scenario of reduced capacity, affordable tickets.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
If having fans loses money, the team will have zero fans instead. There’s no way to get your laughable fantasy scenario of reduced capacity, affordable tickets.
This is how the Knicks are getting fans to prove a negative COVID test for MSG entry

The Knicks advertised individual tickets for between $50 and $380, but the lowest price available for Tuesday against the Warriors were $100 and almost sold out as of Thursday afternoon.
I thought it was a laughable fantasy scenario :popcorn:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
We can have 150 people shopping around Walmart without getting the test but less than 2000 people in an arena built for 18,000 and we need to get a test before going in? Jesus Christ, can we just stop the madness already?

yeah it’s pretty dumb but I suspect you won’t be getting into any sporting events before mid 2022 without either vaccination proof or a negative Covid test. The former will probably start to trump the latter come this fall and next winter. It’ll also likely be harder to get a Covid test by late 21 and 22 as by then many of the testing facilities will probably begin closing due to decreased demand

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
It is not.
You didn’t see those Knicks prices? $50-$380 per ticket. That’s well below what Knicks tickets go for in a typical year.

Tsai and the Nets are charging at minimum $650 and they’re making you buy the remainder of the season at that price.

It’s obvious you’re not interested in dealing with the facts of the matter because you are willingly choosing to recognize a piece of evidence.

That’s all I’ve got to say on this matter. Have a good weekend.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Looking at those projected prices, guess I won’t be going to games any time soon.

Home is more convenient anyway.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Looking at those projected prices, guess I won’t be going to games any time soon.

Home is more convenient anyway.

Stubhub would be best option in the end but obviously I assume no season ticket holders got tickets this year so no such route exists. Many STHs would probably sell their tix on there for face value because nobody is goons pay 150$ to see the Isles play Buffalo on a Wednesday. This will be the best way early on to probably go to Met and Yankee games too til capacity expands

Reactions: BelovedIsles

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
Stubhub would be best option in the end but obviously I assume no season ticket holders got tickets this year so no such route exists. Many STHs would probably sell their tix on there for face value because nobody is goons pay 150$ to see the Isles play Buffalo on a Wednesday. This will be the best way early on to probably go to Met and Yankee games too til capacity expands

I wonder if tickets will be available on stub hub. Isn’t there a requirement for negative test 72 hours prior?

Last minute tickets could be a thing of the past at least for 2021

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Stubhub simply has to have a pop-up that they are not responsible for people who don't provide proper evidence of infection.

I'd pay $300 to go back to Nassau for a final game. Not for the outcome. The smells, the view of the scoreboard as you walk in, and the ambiance. There is a certain scent that you know you're in Nassau Coliseum. Walking through the entrance to two sections, and seeing that ancient scoreboard is like heroin. You're home.

I don't think a Rangers fan could ever say the same at MSG.

Last edited:

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I realize the supply and demand, and it seems that tickets will be inflated everywhere but what about the fact that we have already entered into a contract to pay a certain $$ for the tickets and now they are going to resell them for a higher price? They already took my money and have had it for many months. Now they are gong to charge me more than the amount agreed to? On principle alone as a sTH , I am out then. I am surprised that there hasn't been some blowback (or at least none that I have heard of).

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I realize the supply and demand, and it seems that tickets will be inflated everywhere but what about the fact that we have already entered into a contract to pay a certain $$ for the tickets and now they are going to resell them for a higher price? They already took my money and have had it for many months. Now they are gong to charge me more than the amount agreed to? On principle alone as a sTH , I am out then. I am surprised that there hasn't been some blowback (or at least none that I have heard of).

But you have a credit to be used towards those prices. And if you don't want to use it, it will be rolled over to next season's tix. You're not losing anything.

And BTW, we don't even know what the prices will be yet. We're basing it off of what other teams in other Leagues are charging.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
My inside sources tell me early march for the islanders to allow fans. And no its not dippin dots..
It is pretty pathetic that the Isles were not preparing and ready for the process of getting fans in at the soonest possible time it was approved. I know people with Rags season tickets and they are having fans this coming week already. With a huge homestand of 9 of the next 10 at the Coliseum, they are going to waste more than half of those home dates by not being ready to host fans until early March.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
It is pretty pathetic that the Isles were not preparing and ready for the process of getting fans in at the soonest possible time it was approved. I know people with Rags season tickets and they are having fans this coming week already. With a huge homestand of 9 of the next 10 at the Coliseum, they are going to waste more than half of those home dates by not being ready to host fans until early March.

Early march is next week

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad