New York State to start allowing Some Attendance 2/23

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I'm not paying an inflated ticket price and also paying for testing for the privilege. I'll stay home and watch the Isles score a half second after Brendan tells me.

why the hell does that keep happening....

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Isles sent out a survey to season ticket holders asking about their interest in and priorities for returning to games - enforcement of distancing, etc.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
I wonder what the clause is if a person spends $300 on a ticket, gets to the box office and takes a test and they fail, do they get their money back on the ticket?

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I wonder what the clause is if a person spends $300 on a ticket, gets to the box office and takes a test and they fail, do they get their money back on the ticket?

One of the things they asked to rate on a scale of 1-7 was importance of being able to get refunds if we fall ill.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
From my ticket rep:

Updated news on this season: season ticket members will be the only ones with access to buy tickets for now. We are planning to sell them on a few game/couple week basis (so not putting all games up for sale at once).

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
From my ticket rep:

Updated news on this season: season ticket members will be the only ones with access to buy tickets for now. We are planning to sell them on a few game/couple week basis (so not putting all games up for sale at once).

Any timeframe for the sales to begin? I like that they're doing this in blocks so everyone can make their decision on whether to buy based on when if/when they're comfortable.

Last edited:

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I’m a season ticket holder and there’s no way I’m paying both a crazy ticket price plus having my brain stabbed with a Q-tip for the privilege… I’ll go back when everybody’s less hysterical.

If anything is going to put the damper on demand again, it's needing to get that test. Which I support, but obviously isn't going to be something people are going to want to do repeatedly in short periods of time.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Took a pandemic, but I think we've finally got the situation where prices/demand will be sustained for those few seats for the duration of the season.
People are willing to pay $600 to see Hamilton on Broadway.

There’s a limited number of seats/games at Barclays. I’m sure the Nets will be able to sell their tix.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Nonsense.
How so? You don't think a multibillionaire in Joe Tsai could stand to make his games affordable after what the city/state just went through? He's under no obligation to have lower prices, I understand that, but to think the decision is beyond reproach and immune from criticism is silly. Just as he can gouge the prices, people can criticize. Neither side is nonsensical, but it's terrible optics.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
People are willing to pay $600 to see Hamilton on Broadway.

There’s a limited number of seats/games at Barclays. I’m sure the Nets will be able to sell their tix.
You're hardly comparing apples to apples here. You're comparing a pre-pandemic market in a venue that holds x<2000 people, when a larger subset of people had expendable income to today's reality.

Listen, I don't really give a crap about the Nets, but it makes Tsai and the organization look bad and it's not too crazy to think what organizations like the Nets are doing is greedy. This isn't a small restaurant or a Mom and Pop shop that need to tack on a COVID surcharge. It's the friggin' founder of Alibaba, so spare the me the lesson on free-market economics.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
You're hardly comparing apples to apples here. You're comparing a pre-pandemic market in a venue that holds x<2000 people, when a larger subset of people had expendable income to today's reality.

Listen, I don't really give a crap about the Nets, but it makes Tsai and the organization look bad and it's not too crazy to think what organizations like the Nets are doing is greedy. This isn't a small restaurant or a Mom and Pop shop that need to tack on a COVID surcharge. It's the friggin' founder of Alibaba.

No it's absolutely not. They run businesses, not charities. They are going to set their prices at the demand the market dictates, and people will pay that because that's how economics work.

This idea that billionaires should just lose money on ventures for the benefit of everyone else is silly, and is the complete opposite line of thinking that made them wealthy.

If you are priced out because of it, then that's that and it sucks. They don't owe you anything, and I guarantee this hand-me-down mentality you are pushing here stops immediately on the rungs of the ladder beneath you, which is likely 90% of the rest of the world.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
No it's absolutely not. They run businesses, not charities. They are going to set their prices at the demand the market dictates, and people will pay that because that's how economics work.

This idea that billionaires should just lose money on ventures for the benefit of everyone else is silly, and is the complete opposite line of thinking that made them wealthy.

If you are priced out because of it, then that's that and it sucks. They don't owe you anything, and I guarantee this hand-me-down mentality you are pushing here stops immediately on the rungs of the ladder beneath you, which is likely 90% of the rest of the world.
Thank you.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
How so? You don't think a multibillionaire in Joe Tsai could stand to make his games affordable after what the city/state just went through? He's under no obligation to have lower prices, I understand that, but to think the decision is beyond reproach and immune from criticism is silly. Just as he can gouge the prices, people can criticize. Neither side is nonsensical, but it's terrible optics.
Did you expect Tsai to operate at a loss all season when an opportunity presents itself to recoup some money in a one-off of a season? Restaurants in NYC have raised their prices or added on COVID surcharges. It sucks but it is what it is. Not illegal. Distasteful? Yes, and I don’t patronize places like that.

So you think Tsai, because he has more money than God should charge a lower price? It would be nice but I get why he isn’t. Because he thinks the market will bear $600 and a $200 rapid test.

If the Islanders decide to charge $300 each for the 1,400 seats, is that any less gross when their normal prices run $140 and under?

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City

First of all, you know next to nothing about me other than the fact that I'm an Islander fan, so while it might be easier for you to classify me based on your pre-conceived notions of people you've met in the past, fine, but the things you're spewing about who I am and my opinion on the 'hand-me-down mentality' couldn't be farther from the truth. I do my fair share when it comes to charity and I'll leave it at that.

People are going to go to the games no matter what the price is. It's not accessible to the vast majority of their fanbase and you're 100% right, too bad, so sad. And when it's not a pandemic, I'm with you (and that mantra) because that is how capitalism works; and there's nothing wrong with making money and there will always be haves/have nots. It comes across as tacky to gouge people at this time. You don't have to agree with me and I don't have to agree with you. You're certainly not going to change my mind on the matter either.

I don't know the full story behind the cost of operations behind the Nets and I'm not even going to pretend I do. I also don't know the exact price, but there's been rumors floating around that the number is high. In my eyes, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this regard, it looks tacky. They won't be the only team that does this though and at that point, I will also consider those teams/their owners tacky. I know my opinion means nothing and I know that this is the way that the market will be run. I'm also certain people will pay that price to attend. Doesn't mean I don't think it's wrong.

But by all means, protect the pockets of those billionaires today. Thankfully they have a bunch of people like yourself out there defending their actions.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00