OT: New York Riveters/NY area women's hockey discussion

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I wonder if there are any NYC area ladies who play and sign with the Rivs. Would be awesome.

Miye D'Oench is from NYC. Rebecca Russo is from Connecticut. Gabie Figueroa is from Jersey. I'm sure there are more, that's just off the top of my head.

Outside of the players who are from out of market (areas without an NWHL team), a lot of the players opt to play for the team nearest to their hometown. I know you know the Beauts are loaded with talent from WNY from Pfalzer to Greco.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Miye D'Oench is from NYC. Rebecca Russo is from Connecticut. Gabie Figueroa is from Jersey. I'm sure there are more, that's just off the top of my head.

Outside of the players who are from out of market (areas without an NWHL team), a lot of the players opt to play for the team nearest to their hometown. I know you know the Beauts are loaded with talent from WNY from Pfalzer to Greco.

Yeah Buffalo is good for that. You know too, most people here thankfully play hockey at any/all levels since child stage :laugh: I have not done my Rivs homework admittedly.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Idk why I'm just realizing it now, but I love that Wiseman is the GM of the Riveters. I was a fan of his back in the day when he was one of the leaders on the Pack

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Silly question but how professional is this women's league?

Do the ladies make enough to completely focus on hockey or do they have actual jobs like regular Janes?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
The last I saw the average salary was like $14K USD.

The women who aren't affiliated with the US National team tend to have jobs. A lot of them coach. Ashley Johnston actually has a really cool story, she commutes in from Albany where she works as a robotics engineer

http://nypost.com/2017/02/20/womens-hockey-star-commutes-2000-miles-to-live-her-dream/

Thanks!

I hope this will change for everyone involved and that they will be able to full concentrate on hockey.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Lawler is amazing. Hasn't played pro in 4 or 5 years. Was heavily involved off the ice for the NWHL. Speed demon. Really excited to see her back on the ice.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Season opens this weekend. Pride @ Rivs, Beauts @ Whale. Both games on Saturday, 130 and 230 puck drop, respectively. All games are streamed live! It also sounds like we're gonna have 'fancystats' for the league again this year. Really looking forward to getting my hands on those.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Rivs are 2-0. Look like the team to beat this year. Fitzgerald is backing up her goalie of the year honors from last so far in a big way. Miye D'Oench leading the league in scoring (6 points in her first 2 games).

Next game this Saturday against the Whale. Streaming on Twitter. 7pm.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
How big is the league now @silverfish ?
I had never thought the interest would be big enough for women to play hockey, but my vision is very limited. I mostly see women in the kitchen and bathroom, and vacation, or while sleeping good to have a woman nearby. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad