OT: New York Riveters/NY area women's hockey discussion

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
wow thats ironic...nhl on nbc talking about gender equality in hockey on the same day a women's league folds

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Apparently the NWHL is exploring adding 2 teams in Canada now, per the Athletic. Toronto and Montreal are the top choices.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Apparently the NWHL is exploring adding 2 teams in Canada now, per the Athletic. Toronto and Montreal are the top choices.

Looks like it's a go...

ESPN’s Emily Kaplan is reporting that Dani Rylan met with Gary Bettman yesterday, and that the NHL agreed to “significantly up” its contribution to the NWHL. The NWHL expects to have teams in Toronto and Montreal next season.

A no-brainer, really. Extremely feasible in terms of travel. Major hockey cities and gives the league an international presence. Gets Poulin/Knight back in the league as well. Very encouraged by this mornings news. The recent quotes out of Bettman/Daly had me concerned, but with the nuggets of info coming out right now, gotta believe the NHL stepped up in a considerable way.

League already stated for next season we'll see:

-24 games (up from 16)
-Increased player salaries
-Toronto/Montreal franchises

Don't think they could do those things if Gary gave them peanuts. Exciting stuff for the league! Hopefully Pittsburgh could get a team and leave them with an even eight-team league.

Shame a true merger with the CWHL couldn't materialize, the larger geographical footprint women's hockey can have the better. I get that Calgary was likely not financially viable due to travel. Not sure how the Shenzen club was made possible financially, believe the Chinese footed the costs for everything. Assuming they want increased exposure for the sport ahead of hosting the Olympics. If that's the case, I can't see why they wouldn't be interested in continuing that arrangement with the NWHL. I understand not absorbing the Markham team.

Curious if they'd keep the Worcester Blades around. There is certainly enough female-talent in the Boston area to sustain two competitive teams. On a semi-related note, wonder if the increase in salaries is significant enough where players would consider moving to play. Would assume no, but at the very least it's a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: EpicDing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad