OT: New York Riveters/NY area women's hockey discussion

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
the Whale are probably the only ones not with an effeminate name. just glad they didn't stick a bow on the Whale's head or something :laugh:

Pride is effeminate?

I think Riveters is a great name for a female organization. The only one I could see people really having a problem with is 'Beauts', but that's become a pretty acceptable hockey term for both genders.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Pride is effeminate?

I think Riveters is a great name for a female organization. The only one I could see people really having a problem with is 'Beauts', but that's become a pretty acceptable hockey term for both genders.

I guess Pride wouldn't be. guess it depends on who the head of the Pride is ;) (hint: female lions run **** :laugh:)

highandwide

It's gold Jerry.
Nov 28, 2011
NYC
I'll rephrase - two teams that are gendered, the other two are eerily similar to men's professional teams (pride uniforms are exactly like bruins, whale, well, it's the whale)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
anyone going to the game tonight? :yo:

Can't go to a game until I move to the city :( It's just so unaccessible from Long Island (and the city too, really).

Did get an offer for two free tix after the merchandise orders that were put through online had been delayed. I e-mailed it to my brother, but I don't think he used them.

Looks like the Pride bus is late, so the game is a little delayed.

Stream here: http://nwhl.co/cross-ice-pass/ Put it on in the background while you watch the Mets.

Erin Barley-Maloney is playing tonight <3

Gonna be weird rooting against Hilary Knight.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Can't go to a game until I move to the city :( It's just so unaccessible from Long Island (and the city too, really).

Did get an offer for two free tix after the merchandise orders that were put through online had been delayed. I e-mailed it to my brother, but I don't think he used them.

Looks like the Pride bus is late, so the game is a little delayed.

Stream here: http://nwhl.co/cross-ice-pass/ Put it on in the background while you watch the Mets.

Erin Barley-Maloney is playing tonight <3

Gonna be weird rooting against Hilary Knight.

it's unaccessable from just about anywhere, to be fair. the bus is just so inconsistent. someone was asking about getting the subway from there (which is far away) and I could only wonder how they got out there.

I had a freaking blast, though. one girl on Boston got stood up at the blue line and they called it a penalty. change the ruuuuules. just a little bit.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
https://mcdonaghandfries.wordpress.com/2015/10/20/the-nwhl-experience/

Here's what I thought of the game.

The teams needs work but I'm putting that aside for now because there's a lot to love here. This is just about the experience of going to an NWNL game which was nothing but positive.

nice write up. where were you sitting? if you saw someone in a Ducks jersey, that was me :yo:

i made sure to be as loud as I could until we were down by 5. the stomping of the bleachers during the start of a PP and the chanting was all me. on one end of the ice, anyway. they found a hockey hotbed and more people need to be exposed. that, and they need to improve the crappy bus service at night.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
nice write up. where were you sitting? if you saw someone in a Ducks jersey, that was me :yo:

i made sure to be as loud as I could until we were down by 5. the stomping of the bleachers during the start of a PP and the chanting was all me. on one end of the ice, anyway. they found a hockey hotbed and more people need to be exposed. that, and they need to improve the crappy bus service at night.

I was in the end the Pride shot twice just to the right of the goalie. Didn't see a Ducks jersey but I saw a Ducks hat. I saw Rangers, Devils, Bruins, Islanders, Ducks, Penguins, and AHL teams. What a mix of merchandise. :laugh: Which is really cool cause it's just hockey fans in general.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I was in the end the Pride shot twice just to the right of the goalie. Didn't see a Ducks jersey but I saw a Ducks hat. I saw Rangers, Devils, Bruins, Islanders, Ducks, Penguins, and AHL teams. What a mix of merchandise. :laugh: Which is really cool cause it's just hockey fans in general.

i thought that was pretty swell, too. saw that guy in the Bergeron jersey and wondered what the heck he was doing there :laugh: (then realizing who we were playing, i felt like an idiot) i was on the other end, where the Riveters shot twice. was there when Boston was warming up. #2 on Boston has a cannon. was calling for one timers the whole game. and lets not forget how dominant Hilary Knight can be, based on size and skill alone. you were totally right in saying that the puck made a pretty loud sound when it banked off the boards. there was some serious talent in this game and i know it can get better. more exposure, hopefully a joining of leagues to add teams and talent. another good Olympic games from USA should really bring light to this league. just too bad it's not till 2018.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Buffalo Beauts life

tumblr_m4tsramCAy1qzyang.gif

Tomas Sandstrom 28

Aug 3, 2005
Anyone know where I can pick up some merchandise? looking to make this into a Christmas gift for my niece who loves hockey.
Do they sell it at the games?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
How are the Riveters supposed to be as a team? I haven't really looked into following the NWHL yet, but I'm planning on it in the near future

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
How are the Riveters supposed to be as a team? I haven't really looked into following the NWHL yet, but I'm planning on it in the near future

Very much so improved on last season. Wiseman did a great job putting this squad together but they ran into some bad luck. They were slated to have Leonoff in goal this season, but she went down with a year-ending injury.

Two huge additions are Kessel and Fratkin.

No team in this league is really on the level that the Pride are.

5-3 now.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
are the Riveters the default team for Rangers fans? i think itd be cool to follow another team with everyone on here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->