OT: New York Riveters/NY area women's hockey discussion

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yeah, gonna definitely start following the Riveters this season, especially since they have Amanda #BestKessel on the team.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
anyone gonna try to attend games this season? the rink is 20x more accessible. planning on attending the home opener this coming Sunday

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Ugh it's Newark though.

I quite preferred going to the middle of nowhere in Brooklyn.

don't get me wrong, it was a cool feeling knowing I had a professional hockey team right near where I grew up, but it was horribly inaccessible for people like myself who don't drive. there was a bus to take, but it was very infrequent.

still intend on making a rucus this Sunday, though

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
3:30 game today in Buffalo. Still no Kessel for the Rivs. Russo, D'Oench, Packer, Fratkin have really picked up pushing the pace for them in her absence.

Game will be streamed here: http://www.nwhl.zone/video

Also really excited to get a look at Pfalzer today. I think she's the best D in the game right now.#7 on Buffalo.

Rivs win 3-2. I'll be tracking this game at some point today/tomorrow. Fratkin was great, and Fitzgerald made some ridiculous saves to give the Rivs the win. Rematch tomorrow.

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
nwhl is doing so poorly that they announced today that they are cutting all salaries in half...some of the girls will now only make $5k for the whole season

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
All-Star game this weekend

http://www.nwhl.zone/allstar

Team Kessel

Goaltenders (2): Brittany Ott, Nicole Stock

Defenders (4): Kacey Bellamy, Megan Bozek, Courtney Burke, Gigi Marvin

Forwards (8): Harrison Browne, Meghan Duggan, Zoe Hickel, Amanda Kessel, Hilary Knight, Rebecca Russo, Kelli Stack, Dana Trivigno

Coached by New York Riveters head coach Chad Wiseman

Team Steadman

Goaltenders (2): Katie Fitzgerald, Brianne McLaughlin

Defenders (4): Blake Bolden, Kaleigh Fratkin, Emily Pfalzer, Ashley Johnston

Forwards (8): Kelly Babstock, Corinne Buie, Alex Carpenter, Shiann Darkangelo, Brianna Decker, Madison Packer, Haley Skarupa, Kelley Steadman

Coached by Riveters assistant Sis Paulsen

Edges:

Goalies: Team Kessel
Defense: Team Steadman
Forwards: Push. Kessel has the top talent, but team Steadman is deep.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Wow Hilary Knight went 4 targets in 14.1 and then Steadman went right after and beat her by 0.1 seconds.

Blake Bolden just fired an 87 mph bomb and won hardest shot. What a blast.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
What is the thinking there? Why not just a visor (so fans can see their faces) like in other pro leagues?

Likely a liability thing. Also, for majority of the players this isn't their main source of income. Risking major facial injury probably not worth it to them.

Skills Competition was awesome. NHL could take some notes from that. Get in, get out, take care of your business. Quick transitions from contest to contest. Very well done.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Likely a liability thing. Also, for majority of the players this isn't their main source of income. Risking major facial injury probably not worth it to them.

Skills Competition was awesome. NHL could take some notes from that. Get in, get out, take care of your business. Quick transitions from contest to contest. Very well done.

I would not mandate that the women can not wear a cage. I would just make it their option since they are adults and this is a professional league that they are trying to sell. Women pro sports are a difficult sell. I admire them for trying. As far as liability goes they could always sign a waiver on their insurance rider.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I would not mandate that the women can not wear a cage. I would just make it their option since they are adults and this is a professional league that they are trying to sell. Women pro sports are a difficult sell. I admire them for trying. As far as liability goes they could always sign a waiver on their insurance rider.

I very much so doubt that there are many people out there who aren't watching the NWHL because the players wear full cages... but I could be wrong :dunno:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I very much so doubt that there are many people out there who aren't watching the NWHL because the players wear full cages... but I could be wrong :dunno:

Womens sports in general are a tough sell but the full cages certainly do not help attendance. It makes their players harder to identify on the ice and harder to identify for promotions. Young girls can much more easily identify with women soccer players in part because they can see their faces. It also makes the womens professional league look like they are at a different level than the mens professional leagues. I'm rooting for womens hockey to do well. I admire them.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Womens sports in general are a tough sell but the full cages certainly do not help attendance. It makes their players harder to identify on the ice and harder to identify for promotions. Young girls can much more easily identify with women soccer players in part because they can see their faces. It also makes the womens professional league look like they are at a different level than the mens professional leagues. I'm rooting for womens hockey to do well. I admire them.

The outreach that the NWHL does for their fans is second to none in pro leagues.

After every game, the players stay and sign autographs for all the fans in attendance. They are constantly running clinics.

This morning before the skills competition, they had an on-ice clinic for young girls in the area with all the players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad