GDT: NEW YORK RANGERS WIN NHL DRAFT LOTTERY

Status
Not open for further replies.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Congrats to the fans of the New York Rangers. You will be drafting a very special talent in Alexis Lafreniere. I seen him up close live playing for Canada at the World Junior Hockey Championship, and it was like a Man playing against boys at times. Wish the Leafs could have lucked out and picked First Overall (lol). Anyways, best of luck to him in the Big Apple. A great day for the NY Rangers Franchise.

Its like Matthews was nothing.. You greedy Leafs fans

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
In the history of the draft we have picked 1st once in 1965, a draft so abysmal the Leafs didn’t even attend it and it only had 11 picks total that year. Our pick never played an NHL game.

It’s insane that we have never had a real 1st overall pick in our history until now

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Miller
Robertson
Lindgren
Hajek
Jones
Reunanen
Rykov

and the ability for DeAngelo to play the left side.

there’s plenty there for a couple guys to hit. I’m really not concerned about LD we just have to be a little patient there. Especially when our right side is so dominant

I’m really not concerned wirh 2C either when you have Mika a bonafied 27 year old superstar center at the top and Chytil already showing 30 pt downside at 20.

And can roll out play driving wingers like Lafreniere Panarin Kakko to surround them.

Then you have Kreider Kravtsov Gauthier And will probably grab another forward in the first round this year of a super deep draft.

and like it or not this franchise believes in Brett Howden. He’s going to be in the mix.

They should get someone who is expansion exempt. So a prospect.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I certainly hope you are right. But Kakko had less than half as many points as people thought he would, albeit in a few less games than a full season.

I think if Lafreniere got 50 I'd be ecstatic. If he got 70 that certainly would be Auston Matthews territory (or better).

My good man, you do realize that kakko went from hi sweden season, straight to WJC, then straight to the NHL season. He was run down and exhausted. The real kakko is the player we saw in the playoffs after having time off to recoup.

pjcnyr22

Feb 5, 2008
Shouldn't the 13th pick say Rangers from Carolina from Toronto?
Screenshot_20200811-122808~2.png

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If Lundkvist came over I would say 100% they would move TDA. I don't see the Rangers keeping TDA, Strome or Buchnevich with Lafreniere here now. They are going to have to plan ahead for his contract and Kakko's. That means players like those with major flaws in their games aren't getting good contracts. It's dumb to do that.
What does Lundqvist have to do with DeAngelo? Did I miss it when he totaled 60 points.

What does Strome have to do with Lafreniere? He is a center.

And Buchnevich may well be traded, but not for the reasons you are listing.

There are ways to go until you need to start to plan for their contracts.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Lafreniere's skating issue is that he has a tendency to not stop on a dime. He takes wider turns. He's fine with his straight ahead skating. We're talking about a potential franchise player, the likes of which, this franchise has never drafted in my lifetime.
and he’s pretty old so that’s a LONG time.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Lost in all of this is Hajek. He's still only 22. That extremely young/green for a defenseman.

I've seen flashes where it looks like I'm watching MacTruck... Hopefully he can learn to avoid getting hit

Ever since we drafted him... I was expecting good things from Robertson. A true shutdown/matchup defenseman

Yeah, I don't think we need a LD. I think we have a bunch.

I'm only interested if it's a true #1 LD, and then that's a pretty prohibitive cost itself.

But I keep hearing like Darnell Nurse? Pass. We have prospects who might be just as good or better.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
What does Lundqvist have to do with DeAngelo? Did I miss it when he totaled 60 points.

What does Strome have to do with Lafreniere? He is a center.

And Buchnevich may well be traded, but not for the reasons you are listing.

There are ways to go until you need to start to plan for their contracts.

Not really, these are all things they need to take into consideration pretty soon. With all of this ELC level talent+the big contracts handed out over the last year, you kind of need to strike ASAP before taking a small step back, reloading, and doing it over again.

Nils shouldn't force DeAngelo out of the organization, I would have traded Strome with or without Lafreniere (I'm actually more inclined to upgrade on him now) and I honestly don't know what to do with Buchnevich. I'm cool with moving him, but I wouldn't do it in a futures package.

They really should start to improve some of the areas that are clearly deficient (LD being the biggest one, both with addition(s) and one big subtraction) and then see where they stand at the TDL next year. They don't need to plug every hole right away, but they also shouldn't let the leaks continue just because they have a few years before the entire boat is as risk of sinking.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Apologies if this has been posted, but I thought the site was down for the last 4 hours. I kept refreshing and it couldn't connect, so I'm not going to read through 30 pages of stuff.

Also apologies because this will be a bit of a downer.

The CBA allows for a bonus cushion. Teams can exceed the cap via performance bonuses, up to 7.5% of the cap ceiling. With the cap being 81.5 mil next year, that means we can exceed the cap, via bonuses, by 6.1125 million.

The base cap hits (without performance bonuses) have to fit within the 81.5 cap, but with performance bonuses, we can go up to 87.6125 million. What does this mean to us? Well, we have a LOT of players with performance bonuses. The table below shows all of the players we have signed who have performance bonuses for next season.

PlayerPerformance Bonuses for 2020-21 (in Millions)
Lafreniere2.85
Shesterkin2.85
Kakko2.65
Kravtsov.85
Andersson.85
Fox.85
Barron.85
Richards.5
Chytil.35
Gauthier.3
Miller.3
Lindgren.2125
Reunanen.1325
Rueschhoff.1075
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
As a 1st overall pick, Laf will almost certainly get max performance bonuses. Laf, Shesty, Kakko, Fox, Chytil and Lindgren should all be on the team. Let's assume Gauthier is on the team as well. That is a total of 10.0625 million in performance bonuses. That means that our total cap commitment, before bonuses, can't be higher than 77.55 mil.

If Hank decides to retire, we are in good shape. Otherwise, I think Fast is definitely gone, and I think we are going to have to trade one of Strome or ADA no matter what. We will probably also have to buyout Staal or Hank.

Also keep in mind that Laf will probably earn at least some of his schedule A and B bonuses, as could Fox, Kakko and Shesty. Any bonuses that don't fit under the cap will roll over to the next year. So as awesome as it is that we are getting the 1st overall pick, it does complicate our cap situation.
GAGLine asking the tough questions here. I think he's right, I asked CapFriendly for clarification.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
In the history of the draft we have picked 1st once in 1965, a draft so abysmal the Leafs didn’t even attend it and it only had 11 picks total that year. Our pick never played an NHL game.

It’s insane that we have never had a real 1st overall pick in our history until now

TIL that the only NHL player I have ever met in person was taken in that draft.

All hail Pierre Bouchard.

Reactions: Dactyl

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The opportunity to draft Lafrenière is the latest in a string of events that have given the Rangers true star power. In a rebuild, stars are the toughest thing to acquire. That’s why I was so hot on acquiring Panarin last year. Go back to April of 2019 and the Ranger star power at that time was a fading Henrik Lundqvist and a slowly emerging Mika Zinabajad. Now Mika has blossomed and the Rangers have added Panarin, Kakko, Fox, and the expectation that Lafrenière will be joining the group. That’s an extraordinary change in a short period of time.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
My good man, you do realize that kakko went from hi sweden season, straight to WJC, then straight to the NHL season. He was run down and exhausted. The real kakko is the player we saw in the playoffs after having time off to recoup.

I notice he still did not score at all. :sarcasm:

Listen, I'm not trolling, just saying, I had as high of expectations for Kakko as anyone, and still do, but I got burned. He wasn't even close to what we thought he would be this quickly.

70 points for Lafreniere as a rookie would be extreme elite company.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Def the type of guy who could be used as a trade chip now, but we’ll see what happens.

Don't see it with Barron as a trade chip. Dude plays a different game than most of their prospects. Big, physical player. Him and Gauthier on a line could cause nightmares for teams bottom 6s. Size + skating + skill. Whoever gets to center that line better be able to move, even with Barron not being close to the skater that Gauthier is. I'm not sure that player is Howden either. He's got one more shot this season coming to show it. He's not getting moved out to the wing anymore. Too many players out there, even if we ship one out. We also signed 3 UDFA college centers, all ticketed for Hartford that will be eager to get that role.

I'm more inclined to say that Lemieux will not be long for this squad. He had a chance at the end of last season and this whole year to move up and be a 3rd line player. He couldn't get it done. Fast and PDG were getting put into spots he couldn't earn. Not good for his long term on a team, especially now with their last 3 top picks being wings, they've added Barron now, and people forget that Gettinger is still around, improved in the AHL this season, and is still on his ELC. Lemieux is an RFA with arb rights. He also is a PKer and adds some more size, without losing much skating.

Unless something crazy happens, Lemieux will be in camp, but there is a part of me that is thinking he either doesn't make it out of camp or he does and has a very short leash with some of the options below pushing him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad