Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Toronto Maple Leafs 2/10/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm just happy I can wear a rangers shirt tomorrow. Whenever we lose I refuse to wear anything rangers until they win. I was starting to run out of clothes. It was either win or do laundry.

These feels. I feel them.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Talbot/Lundqvist whatever, realistically speaking Florida is the only one with a chance to take 8th place. If we go .500 they would need to go roughly 20-10 the rest of the way to catch up.

I know it's exciting and all, but the playoff race was locked up at the end of December barring an epic leafs type collapse by someone.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
I'm just happy I can wear a rangers shirt tomorrow. Whenever we lose I refuse to wear anything rangers until they win. I was starting to run out of clothes. It was either win or do laundry.

You could of really blown off steam after a loss though.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Or maybe those things started cropping up when the Leafs started pressuring the puck like crazy.

Things are never constructive, they're only destructive.

McDonagh's play at the blueline was hardly because of heavy pressure, it was just a bad choice he made. I don't fault him for the goal in the crease because he was probably trying to stop the pass.

AV said pretty much the same thing about unforced turnovers recently. They do indeed have to lessen them.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Blown leads

That is all.

So what? They still won. They were still the better team in the game. The Leafs played a decent game themselves and got a good bounce.

Just because a game is stressful doesn't mean we can't appreciate the win. In fact, the stress of that game made it more entertaining. Would I have been happy if they lost? Of course not. I had more fun than if the Rangers had blown them out though.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Give Cam a couple of more games to settle in at least. He has always played with the knowledge of having Hank there. Now, Hank is gone, and he has a very young AHL goalie as his backup. That has got to be very unnerving, knowing that you *have* to perform when the team is battling hard for standings, etc.

My hope is that he settles into it, and becomes the goalie we know he can be :)

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Give Cam a couple of more games to settle in at least. He has always played with the knowledge of having Hank there. Now, Hank is gone, and he has a very young AHL goalie as his backup. That has got to be very unnerving, knowing that you *have* to perform when the team is battling hard for standings, etc.

We don't know anything about him aside from being a backup, but that doesn't mean I'm not hoping for the best.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

As critical as I've been of him -and to be fair, he's in a rough patch right now- the guy really picked us up last year when Hank was going through the same thing. I think we owe him another chance.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
McDonagh's play at the blueline was hardly because of heavy pressure, it was just a bad choice he made. I don't fault him for the goal in the crease because he was probably trying to stop the pass.

AV said pretty much the same thing about unforced turnovers recently. They do indeed have to lessen them.

Fair enough, but why aren't the majority of posts about Rick Nash or Derick Brassard's passing? Or Dominic Moore's flutter shot? Or the Hagelin-Hayes-Miller line's cycle?

The Rangers WON THE GAME.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

Great post.

People are way too quick to throw around the term 'sucks' when something doesn't go their way. Not understanding that Cam Talbot has all the technical ability in the world. That is why he is at this level.

The mental game is something else entirely, and this is completely new for him. He has added pressure to perform that he has never dealt with, but this is a great learning experience for him and he is the best option we have.

Don't for a second think Talbot isn't a great goalie. His fundamentals and technique are sound, and once he settles in, he will be even better.

pjr378

Oct 12, 2014
Yonkers, New York
I hate repeating what I already said on the GDT, but how do you allow a club like Toronto to stay in the game and eventually tie when they have a funeral parlor atmosphere in their rink, start out like bear leaguers, and let us go ahead 2-0? Reimer made a lot of good saves but we should've had the game killed off by the 2nd period. Instead we shat ourselves again and the Leafs clawed back into it.

I've defended Talbot for the most part but he was really poor today IMO. I'm not even talking about the more stoppable shots from distance that went in. He allowed way too many rebounds, was bad with his positioning, and really needs to do something about his glovework. I've always felt pretty confident with him in goal but tonight I just didn't have that comfort zone at all.

More of the same from McDonagh-Girardi pairing, mistakes, mistakes, and more mistakes. The McDonagh redirection on the Leafs' 4th goal was a killer. He also made several poor moves with the puck and could've handed Toronto the game all on his own.

Another pedestrian game from MSL, who'll warrant a contract of about 60 cents by the time this year is over. Just cannot seem to do anything right anymore and also doesn't try to impose himself on other parts of the game to at least make himself half-useful. No backcheck, no trying to initiate a cycle, nothing.

On the plus side, the Hayes line had another excellent game and IMO has been our most consistent over the past 3. D. Moore, despite being saddled with Glass (and to a degree Stempniak, who has done little recently) continues to do good work on both sides of the puck. Nash and Zuccarello played as we expect them to. Kreider was pretty good also, although he faded in the second half of the game.

Trying to channel the goalie spirit for Hank to get well.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@PLeonardNYDN: #Leafs' coach Horachek: "Our give-a-**** meter has to be higher. Can I say that here? I just did." #NYR”

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
The problem with Talbot is that he is trying to play Hank's style. He should be himself and play what he is comfortable with.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
“@PLeonardNYDN: #Leafs' coach Horachek: "Our give-a-**** meter has to be higher. Can I say that here? I just did." #NYRâ€

Something I wonder. If JVR-Bozak-Kessel were -29 in the 11 game losing streak, why were they still a line? I can't imagine a top notch coach like AV or Babcock or Quenneville keeping them together when they're playing that poorly.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Is there just ever defense in Rangers-Leafs games?

I missed all of it but it looks like we played well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad