Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Toronto Maple Leafs 2/10/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Rangers need to get a backup. Plenty of options. Lots of games packed in.

Doubt they play Skapski once. Wouldnt be surprised if they had goalie before Colorado or Arizona game.

Monster, Lack, Enroth, Reimer.....anybody will suffice at this point.

Wheres Vesa Toskala at?

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The Rangers have lost 1 game when leading after two this year and it was in OT. Hell, their winning % when leading after 1 is 0.857, which is 5th in the league. Their winning % when scoring 1st is 0.781, which is tied for 5th in the league. For all the concern about a blown leads, the numbers don't seem to bear it out. I don't even consider that a blown lead, really. It's not like they were winning and then they were losing.

And this isn't the playoffs. It was a dog day game between a sinking ship and a team that's fighting it a little bit right now. The projection on to more important games doesn't hold.

All great stats.

I'm not a fan of this team's propensity to blow muli-goal leads. Win or lose. I doubt it gets better come playoffs. But hey, ya never know

CDiablo

Jul 18, 2012
Played hockey instead of watching the game. Assumed the Rangers would have an easy game. Boy am I glad I missed this one.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Rangers need to get a backup. Plenty of options. Lots of games packed in.

Doubt they play Skapski once. Wouldnt be surprised if they had goalie before Colorado or Arizona game.

Monster, Lack, Enroth, Reimer.....anybody will suffice at this point.

Monster coming here would be great.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Monster coming here would be great.

You bring in a backup of that kind of salary, you can kiss improving any other part of the roster at the deadline goodbye.

Realistic pending UFA options are:

Lack ($1m)
McElhinney ($650k)
LaBarbera ($750k)
Emery ($1m)
Lindback ($925k)

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
You bring in a backup of that kind of salary, you can kiss improving any other part of the roster at the deadline goodbye.

Cap hit is $1.85m, and they already have $1.5m to play around with. It could get done easier than you think.

There is a reason it's called the 'trade' deadline too.

Detroit’s Jonas Gustavsson, Anaheim’s Jason LaBarbera and Chicago’s Michael Leighton as trade options. The trio carry affordable one-year deals and can be easily returned to the minors once Lundqvist returns.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Cap hit is $1.85m, and they already have $1.5m to play around with. It could get done easier than you think.

There is a reason it's called the 'trade' deadline too.

Gustavsson can't "easily be sent to the minors." He'd still carry a 925k cap hit down there. That's not affordable.

I get your point about making another move at the deadline, but it makes more sense to bring in a cheaper option than Gustavsson. One you can bury if you can't unload him.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
We'll be fine with Talbot till Hank comes back. People are overreacting, but Talbot didn't play that bad tonight. 2 of the 4 goals were unstoppable.

Much rather upgrade another aspect of the team if it came down to it.

SkerZ

LGR
Oct 29, 2008
NEW YORK
The previous two games Talbot was not at fault for the loss, tonight's game he sure as ish wasn't the reason they won. That aside Hayes has been impressive the last 5 or so games and Zucc was awesome tonight. Brassard has been good all year and really settled nicely into the #2c roll. This wasn't a pretty win per say but it was timely and we saw some good stuff from guys we need to lean on.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
We'll be fine with Talbot till Hank comes back. People are overreacting, but Talbot didn't play that bad tonight. 2 of the 4 goals were unstoppable.

Much rather upgrade another aspect of the team if it came down to it.

I think Talbot definitely could have been better, but he wasn't awful. I agree though, focus elsewhere to improve the team. Hank will be back.

The sudden workload and pressure I think got Cam stumbling a bit with confidence. He'll be fine. Games against Toronto, in Toronto, are ALWAYS a crap-shoot. You never know what you're going to get.

I would not be looking to bring in several of the previously mentioned backups. Am I the only one who remembers how terrible some of them can be at any given night?

At best I would have been 'ok' with grabbing Nabakov - but he's just recently gone back to San Jose now to retire a shark.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Would anyone like to see Skapski get a start just to see what the kid can do and give Cam a break.

I'd throw him in for sure. I've seen plenty unexperienced (in the NHL) goalies step in and just play lights out. I wouldn't hinge on that arrangement heading to playoffs and for a long stretch.

But I would throw him in a game before Hank is back.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I would not be looking to bring in several of the previously mentioned backups. Am I the only one who remembers how terrible some of them can be at any given night?

Oh, I agree. I was throwing those names out as reasonable options given the Rangers cap situation, which sure as hell isn't a goalie with a nearly $2m price tag. I'd rather not get any of them. It was more of a "well, if we're bringing in another goalie..."

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Oh, I agree. I was throwing those names out as reasonable options given the Rangers cap situation, which sure as hell isn't a goalie with a nearly $2m price tag. I'd rather not get any of them. It was more of a "well, if we're bringing in another goalie..."

Gotcha - some of the names gave me shivers ;) (not the good kind! lol)

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Hags, Hayes, Miller was awesome all night. Would like to keep that line together.

MSL was more noticeable tonight, he's clearly playing frustrated and snake bitten, like when we first got him last season.

i like that as a 3rd line. If Miller learns to play responsibly (which I believe he's made serious strides towards that), then I think that line becomes an effective 3rd line that can cycle, score, and defend.

That ****ing 4th line on the other hand...

Fast-Moore-Stempniak would be OK... Glass just absolutely destroys it. that 2 on 0 in the first that Glass just stopped and did nothing----- :facepalm:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Remember Lundqvist's start to the season?

Talbot isn't Henrik, but let's keep watching. Small sample sizes.

I was going to say this precisely... Talbot has played a total of 12 games ALL SEASON... He's just starting to get regular time, and the Boston game he did start he was probably under the anticipation that it would be a short term injury to Hank and he'd only have to play 3-4 games.

He's going to need another 3 games to get into the groove. I presume he'll rest next game, then start the next 3. allows him to sit back, focus, watch a ton of tape, get a ton of coaching in the process, and then prove it when he next plays...

It's constantly said that goaltenders take awhile to develop. Good ones tend to take some time getting into a groove as well.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Played hockey instead of watching the game. Assumed the Rangers would have an easy game. Boy am I glad I missed this one.

i did as well (busted up my shoulder, yuck). Saw the first and assumed they'd win 5-1... saw 5-4 and was like WTFFF bro

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
I don't know what the hell happened here but it looks hilarious.

p9SJgZB.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad