Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Toronto Maple Leafs 2/10/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Talbot is very lucky the post saved him at the end. This would have gotten really ugly if we lost to the laffs.

the leafs goalie was saved by a post too. i know talbot hasnt been great but i think he deserves some rope here. he hasnt been great at cutting-off angles...playing too deep. but he is capable of fixing that. i think this injury to lundqvist, assuming it's the three-week thing they say it is, could be a blessing in disguise. i think talbot will sort out his issues and prove to be a good stopgap. i, for one, will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Marcus AKA Kluivert

Dec 19, 2014
When it comes to Talbot I think we have to at least consider that he´s feeling more pressure now than he ever has in his career. He is basically asked to hold down the number one goalie gig for the New York Rangers for at least 15 games in the midst of a tight division race.

I dont think its very fair to under these circumtances completely disregard the numbers that he had prior to these last three games. Will he be Hank? Of course not (lets not pretend however that the King himself never had a stretch of three bad games), but once he gets warm under his skin I have complete faith that he can hold his own during the next 10-15 games.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Where do I find a game sheet?
New PC. Lost my book marks

I'd be happy as a Maple Leaf fan. Morgan Reilly was the star for them in this game (young building block for the foreseeable future), and they lost at the same time to get a better chance at McDavid/Eichel.

How do you think Zucc would have fitted on that team? Would he get a top six spot? How would he suit their playing style?

Should Sather just sign him up, and think about MSL later?

Remember Lundqvist's start to the season?

Talbot isn't Henrik, but let's keep watching. Small sample sizes.

I second that. Talbot is spending to much time on the bench. He needs more games to get in game shape. Everybody said Henke was bad back in October and November and questened his contract.
A back up needs at least two three starts every month.

Cam Talbot: 2014-15

6-5-2, .915 SV%, 2.40GAA, 3 shutouts

Career Totals:

17-11-3, .932 SV%, 1.88GAA, 6 shutouts

Not shabby, not shabby at all.
He should have gotten at least 10 starts so far IMHO. I get it when Hank is on fire, but on average, the back up needs a start every now and then. Hank five, Talbot one, Hank five and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
We really should re-title these post game threads as "goalie analysis threads." It's the same thing every time....

Two more points-- points are all that matter!

9darter

Kreider is underpaid
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2007
Göteborg
Give Cam a couple of more games to settle in at least. He has always played with the knowledge of having Hank there. Now, Hank is gone, and he has a very young AHL goalie as his backup. That has got to be very unnerving, knowing that you *have* to perform when the team is battling hard for standings, etc.

My hope is that he settles into it, and becomes the goalie we know he can be :)

I used to work with statistics for a living and learned that a small sample size may get any attempt at serious analysis thrown out and ridiculed.

If he puts too much pressure on himself to replace Lundqvist I must assume he is provided with good people around him who will help him settle down.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
What do people want the Rangers to do about Talbot, those who feel he can not cut it?

Nabokov was a suggestion and two days later he was traded to go retire, anyone really think he'd still be better than Talbot?

Trade for Reimer after seeing him?

Pick-up a waiver wire guy, that could not even be a back-up on whatever team he was playing for?

I guess I just don't see any viable alternative that is better than Talbot that would not cost a ton of assets.

To me it's not that strange, Talbot is a back-up the starter is injured. Teams go with their back-up in that situation. The team in front of them has to pick it up and last night they scored enough to overcome. Same as Detroit, Nashville did earlier this season.

There are not any goalies available who are going to come close to playing like Lundqvist can, so at best they maybe could pick up someone who is a little better than Talbot but that player is certainly going to cost assets and if he's only a little better the feelings are not going to change, he's still not going to be or play like Lundqvist or some other elite goalie.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Talbot will settle in. I'm willing to cut the guy some slack, given that being "the guy" is a complete change to his routine over the past 2 seasons. Add into that the whole homecoming aspect of this last game, playing in front of his family and friends, and this became a game that could have gone either really well, or really terrible. It just so happened to be the latter. Luckily, we still won.

Talbot will get better. He's not going to have a .857 SV% for very long. I expect he'll give us lower-tier starter type numbers: .910ish SV%. That should be enough to keep us in roughly the same position in the standings until Hank returns.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'm going to cut Talbot way more slack than I cut Hank. One makes $575k, and the other makes $8.5M. I fully expect a drop in the quality of goaltending, and so should everyone else. The soft goals still drive me nuts like everyone else, but I'm not going to "let it ruin my weekend," especially in a game we still won.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
we're going to have a hatd time putting together a good winning streak with defensive efforts like last night.

That was brutal

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I would be fascinated to see an actual study done on the performance of backup goalies.

Two factors which could be in play:

1. Over an 82 game season, teams are going to mail it in some nights. It's human nature. It is much easier to mentally take your foot off the gas when you know Lundqvist is in net vs your backup. In other words, the team knows when Talbot is in net they have to support him as much as possible and bring their A game. This may have inflated our perception of Talbot's ability.

2. Similarly, from Talbot's point of view, when he has days or weeks leading up to a potential start he can obsess over film of his opponent. He has a very specific moment he has to prepare for and feel pressure to perform under. Now they are coming at him every other day, I never played goal but I would imagine that is a pretty big mental shift.

Long story short - maybe his abilities were overestimated due to the support he got from his team and his ability to prepare for a single game at a time. Or maybe this is part of the transition from backup to starter and is a natural progression that is to be expected. Or maybe we're reading too much into 4 games.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
cam talbot had a brutal game last night. the type of goals he allowed were killers. the team isn't used to letting 3 2 goal leads slip. he didn't play very well nor did the team play well in front of him at times.

after the mcdonagh flop slide deflection goal, you could see the team was exasperated. talbot made some sweet stops for sure but he also looked shaky and unsure and the leafs knew it. they were firing long shots like crazy at the end of the game.

allowing 4 goals to that awful team which hardly played their best forward line at all is inexcusable. that team is downright terrible and we were 4-4 with them late 3rd.

the team must tighten up for sure but cambot needs to be better. he would tell you that too. he wasn't sharp and it almost cost us.

he's been pretty good the last 4 games but pretty good needs to be sharper or were gonna lose ground.

cam needs to settle down, get back to his solid technique game and keep it simple. he's a very good minder, he needs to play like one.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I would be fascinated to see an actual study done on the performance of backup goalies.

Two factors which could be in play:

1. Over an 82 game season, teams are going to mail it in some nights. It's human nature. It is much easier to mentally take your foot off the gas when you know Lundqvist is in net vs your backup. In other words, the team knows when Talbot is in net they have to support him as much as possible and bring their A game. This may have inflated our perception of Talbot's ability.

2. Similarly, from Talbot's point of view, when he has days or weeks leading up to a potential start he can obsess over film of his opponent. He has a very specific moment he has to prepare for and feel pressure to perform under. Now they are coming at him every other day, I never played goal but I would imagine that is a pretty big mental shift.

Long story short - maybe his abilities were overestimated due to the support he got from his team and his ability to prepare for a single game at a time. Or maybe this is part of the transition from backup to starter and is a natural progression that is to be expected. Or maybe we're reading too much into 4 games.

I think you have a pretty good feel for what may be going on here. I would also presume that when you play in the league long enough (like Hank) it's obviously easier preparing, as you know the opposition BETTER than this SMALL SAMPLE SIZE that Cam auditioned for. Cut the kid a break, it's not easy carrying "the weight of Rangers fans" on your shoulders. Ask Hank.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Oh and as for reply on "the thread". Yeah, 2 pts are 2 points but.......there's no denying that when you are "deemed" an elite team (Yes we are), you absolutely have to pull out wins like these.

The disturbing thing is, we haven't played well (not even close), for the last 2 games and the game we did play well vs NSH didn't result in a win.

Still, we're only a pt. behind Pitt, 2 behind Isles......another win, we're in first. NOT TOO SHABBY, I'll say.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Too small sample size to evaluate Talbot.

Like I said when Hank went down, Talbot is a decent backup nothing more nothing less. If we'd gone into he POs without Hank — I'd want another lottery ticket. If Hank will comeback, id only pick up someone for more or less free if the opertunity presents itself.

Nerves can always become a factor, don't want to hang Talbot out to dry unless he faces some adversity.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Defense was ****. Talbot was ****. Offense bailed them out. I'm glad we have a team where that can actually happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad