Confirmed with Link: New York Rangers 6th Round Pick #171 OA - Gabriel Fontaine (C)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
First thing you notice when you watch Fontaine is his speed; he can really fly on the ice and use his wheels in both offensive and defensive situations. He has found a nice niche with this Sherbrooke team, being used in more of a defensive role. We liked his effort playing in a checking role. He understands his role and has a good puck pursuit game thanks to his great speed. He’s also a useful player on Sherbrooke’s penalty killing unit thanks again to his speed and hustle.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=213781

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Gabriel Fontaine
Center -- shoots L
Born Apr 30 1997 -- Sherbrooke, PQ
Height 6.01 -- Weight 179

2015-16 Rouyn-Noranda Huskies QMJHL 63GP 20-25-45 43PIM

Ranked #163 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #95 by McKeen's Hockey

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Wonderful, an overager draftee who couldn't even score despite being older than other draftees and that he is playing in the QMJHL, the easiest league to score in. Hope he's an absolute beast defensively or else I don't get why waste a pick on him.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Wonderful, an overager draftee who couldn't even score despite being older than other draftees and that he is playing in the QMJHL, the easiest league to score in. Hope he's an absolute beast defensively or else I don't get why waste a pick on him.

Have you seen him play?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
He played for the Blues in Traverse last year:

http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2015...-stadnyk-leads-blues-tryout-group-at-traverse

First thing you notice when you watch Fontaine is his speed; he can really fly on the ice and use his wheels in both offensive and defensive situations. He has found a nice niche with this Sherbrooke team, being used in more of a defensive role. We liked his effort playing in a checking role. He understands his role and has a good puck pursuit game thanks to his great speed. He’s also a useful player on Sherbrooke’s penalty killing unit thanks again to his speed and hustle.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Agreed.

Guess we just have to hope they see Hagelin like attributes, I guess.

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006

He is one of the best defensive forwards in the QMJHL and also has some offensive abilities.
He could eventually pan out on the 3rd or 4th line.
I think this is a good pick at the rank where he was chosen.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Nothing wrong with grabbing a one-tool player at this point, especially if speed is that tool. He also increased his scoring from 4g-15a in 14-15 to 20g-25a in 15-16 so there is some evidence that the offense, particularly scoring, is coming around. Also came close to PPG in a very good playoff showing last year. Maybe we got a homegrown Freddie Sjostrom in the works. Any 6th rounder that makes the NHL is a success.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

So you know nothing about him?

Awesome.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I've seen a lot of Fontaine because Colorado had 3 Rouyn-Noranda players this year. He's a really nice pick for the Rangers. He does everything well, played as the 2C most of the season. His line was with Dzierkals and Greer for the second half of the season and the playoffs/Mem Cup. He does everything well on both sides of the puck and in all situations. He's not a one tool player at all. All Huskies have very good speed and are defensively responsible, they are a fantastic development program and many kids from that team are great prospects. I would have loved if the Avs used their 6th on him. I just wanted to stop by and say that you guys might not know it but he's a good prospect to have.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I've seen a lot of Fontaine because Colorado had 3 Rouyn-Noranda players this year. He's a really nice pick for the Rangers. He does everything well, played as the 2C most of the season. His line was with Dzierkals and Greer for the second half of the season and the playoffs/Mem Cup. He does everything well on both sides of the puck and in all situations. He's not a one tool player at all. All Huskies have very good speed and are defensively responsible, they are a fantastic development program and many kids from that team are great prospects. I would have loved if the Avs used their 6th on him. I just wanted to stop by and say that you guys might not know it but he's a good prospect to have.

Great to know. Thanks man.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

Thank you, it's always welcome when someone that actually knows a prospect opines, it beats the usual nonsense from someone that has never seen him play.

Last edited:

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
This is a Dominic Moore type player, for lack of better example, the numbers don't bother me at all, just a shame this is the only true Center we drafted.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Speed and defense. Looks like a 4th liner and at 171 that's excellent value.

Like it alot.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Agreed with all of this. Heart and soul kid, too. Will bleed blue, here, if he makes it. He'll be, at a minimum, a great teammate and presence in Hartford if he can't break through with the Rangers.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Sounds like a more physical version of Hagelin and had pretty good numbers for the Huskies in this year's playoff run. Seems like he has natural super speed and work ethic. Very hopeful on this kid.

Jxmarts

Sep 8, 2008

Have you seen him play?

So you know nothing about him?

Awesome.

Having seen a prospect play has less bearing than one would think.

Virtually none of the kids drafted are ready to play in the NHL. The vast majority of them will never be, especially those taken in the 6th round. It's a projection into the future of how a prospect will continue to develop that has as much to do with luck and the player's determination to succeed as with his current skill level. Professional scouts watch these kids dozens of times and even they can't get it right. You can watch a few games & fall in love with a junior's game, but that doesn't mean it will translate to a professional level. It's often quite misleading actually.

It's okay for us to give opinions based on the little statistical information we have. Some of us have been following drafts for decades, and we've learned to spot trends. Our conjectures are as almost good as anyone's, especially if they're a bit critical. It's part of the fun of being a sport fan.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The speed and defense should get him to the NHL. Jesper Fast is in the NHL because of a similar skill set. If Fontaine happens to be able to score at .5PPG, he can be a middle six player, like Hagelin. If not, a 4th line center with speed and defense is something we could use.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
This team needs to start developing their own third and fourth liners. If this kid can help with that, it's a good pick.

Amen. Bottom six should be a revolving door of drafted players that get the boot just before they get their big pay day. Only possible exception would be maybe Cs that are exceptionally good at face offs in addition to regular PK effectiveness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad