Confirmed with Link: New York Rangers 6th Round Pick #171 OA - Gabriel Fontaine (C)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Watching him play, he's very aware of his surroundings and the play --- very good hockey IQ.

What he lacks is hands and offensive creativity. That's not likely to change.

But he's not all the dissimilar from having the same kind of expectations as guys like Nieves and Fogarty.

He's a sixth round pick, clearly there are going be areas that don't rank very highly.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Watching him play, he's very aware of his surroundings and the play --- very good hockey IQ.

What he lacks is hands and offensive creativity. That's not likely to change.

But he's not all the dissimilar from having the same kind of expectations as guys like Nieves and Fogarty.

He's a sixth round pick, clearly there are going be areas that don't rank very highly.
If Jed Ortmeyer found his way to being a useful part of a team, so too can he. Not claiming that he will in fact become a decent 4th liner, just saying.... And I know that you are not saying that he becomes nothing.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If Jed Ortmeyer found his way to being a useful part of a team, so too can he. Not claiming that he will in fact become a decent 4th liner, just saying.... And I know that you are not saying that he becomes nothing.

I think Fontaine gets flack because his wheels and his vision make it hard for people to understand why he isn't a high end scorer --- but that's just not how he's wired.

He kind of reminds me a little of a poor man's Mathieu Dandenault.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think Fontaine gets flack because his wheels and his vision make it hard for people to understand why he isn't a high end scorer --- but that's just not how he's wired.

He kind of reminds me a little of a poor man's Mathieu Dandenault.

One of the things that Clarke mentioned was that this kid knows his role. In his interviews he said he is a shut-down center. Most of the kids he interviews say they are an offensive scorer as forwards even when they haven't scored. Makes me think he will make it in a lower line role. To grasp that role so young is a big deal

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Knowing his role but also being a key contributor to a team that went to the final game of the Memorial Cup. He is a year older so this will probably be his last year in the CHL. All in all he could be a good pick.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Knowing his role but also being a key contributor to a team that went to the final game of the Memorial Cup. He is a year older so this will probably be his last year in the CHL. All in all he could be a good pick.
I certainly hope so. Better develop your own than pay for it on the open market.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The way he is discussed here sounds exactly the same as Steven Fogarty.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Similar, although I would say he is faster

And Forgarty is bigger.

Fontaine and Fogarty as our 3rd and 4th line centers in a few years doesn't sound too bad. Hopefully they will develop into those roles.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Heard he was the best defensive forward in Hartford from all reports. He was a dominant faceoff guy in juniors. Just wondering if anybody here who watches Pack games can verify if he was dominant on draws in the AHL since the AHL is unbelievably lame and doesn't keep those stats as far as I know. I am soooo sick and tired of not having a top faceoff center on our 4th line that can at least come in and take huge draws in a game to give us puck possession.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
His first two years he seemed pretty good on draws. He'd often take big ones in the defensive zone. Definitely one of the better guys at face-offs.

This year I don't remember anything, I watched little early in the season and he was injured.

He's very solid defensively and good on the PK, but doesn't bring anything to the table offensively. Not very physical. Suffered a major shoulder injury. Not sure what his future is.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Let him walk. He's got a half ice game.

they may, but IIRC it would counter precedent

as a drafted player, who spent his entire ELC never below AHL level, NYR have (IIRC) always QO'd/re-signed guys with that profile

My gut is that, of the expiring ELC minor leaguers, they re-sign Fontaine and Crawley. Not every player in the pipeline must have 'star' potential.
Gropp is very borderline; they could give him another shot.
Leedahl , can't see it at all, they've add the 3 NCAA F's to ELCs , and 2 more to AHL deals.

Whatever, gonna be a significant turnover of the minor league forward corps, very many of these 10 guys likely don't return:
Jones, ORegan, Beleskey, Boo, Fogs, Vinni, Gropp, Leedahl, Dmowski, McBride,

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
As a potential fourth liner, why would that be a bad thing?

That's not an NHL 4th liner to me. I need to see more dimensions out there. Pest, fighter, hitter. Those are value adds. Must be able to skate well, PK, block shots, and win face-offs. Needs to be able to be out there during the last minute of a game protecting a lead. Good on walls, and can carry the puck out the zone.

I don't think Fontaine is that guy. Argument can be made that that's good for the AHL and you keep him around, but I think the slot opening gives a chance to explore other players who may be less of a known quantity but present some other value adds at the AHL level.

they may, but IIRC it would counter precedent

as a drafted player, who spent his entire ELC never below AHL level, NYR have (IIRC) always QO'd/re-signed guys with that profile

My gut is that, of the expiring ELC minor leaguers, they re-sign Fontaine and Crawley. Not every player in the pipeline must have 'star' potential.
Gropp is very borderline; they could give him another shot.
Leedahl , can't see it at all, they've add the 3 NCAA F's to ELCs , and 2 more to AHL deals.

Whatever, gonna be a significant turnover of the minor league forward corps, very many of these 10 guys likely don't return:
Jones, ORegan, Beleskey, Boo, Fogs, Vinni, Gropp, Leedahl, Dmowski, McBride,

True. But as stated above, I think you have a chance to get something more. Your point is very valid- and they may bring him back for the AHL role. You very well will be right in a couple of re-signings. The math and timing works in your favor. That said, I think there needs to be a big turnover, despite the team's success. HFD imo needs to be a team where the prospects are driving a lot of that success, and the other guys are helpful in that. Not to say that it wasn't but I'm sure you get what I mean. I'm looking at a bare minimum scenario below:

1. Three College UFAs. Those guys all get middle six minutes, maybe some nights on the 4th. That's Richards, Reushhoff, and the Rangers very on P.K. in Khodorenko.
  2. Lias and VK are options. If I were Lias, I would embrace a role here to play some winning minutes. Would like to see VK as a primary offensive option . That's 5 forwards, all ELCs. Newell is a good 4th line wing at the AHL level. 6. NHLer Timmy Getts. 7.
  3. Ronning might get some minutes, and Elmer is in the E. But that gives you 5 more forwards to fill, which in turn means you have to get 8 to maintain some decent organizational depth.
  4. Eight Slots to fill upfront. If Morgan Barron is one of them, that's seven additions. If you re-sign two guys. Say Fontain and O'Regan for some continuity. That's 5.
  5. Outside of Barron, you don't have any viable forward prospects who should come over, let alone come up from juniors or college, because the Rangers did not draft forwards from those development paths.
  6. For the remaining 5- I think you go and get 3 4A studs, and pay them that $350k-$400k guarantee. We're talking the Daniel Carr's of the world. Get an AHL line that can carry a few nights out there to help create a winning environment.
  7. With two more openings, sign a couple of guys out of Europe, or college or minor pros. Get one of those guys who can be a future coach that has good work out habits. You need guys like that on the team.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
That's not an NHL 4th liner to me. I need to see more dimensions out there. Pest, fighter, hitter. Those are value adds. Must be able to skate well, PK, block shots, and win face-offs. Needs to be able to be out there during the last minute of a game protecting a lead. Good on walls, and can carry the puck out the zone

We can agree about whether you're want is is realistic or even plausible or even realistic, but isn't what you describe a player with a half ice game?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
why let him go and not just keep him to play in the ahl?

If he'd accept an AHL deal, sure. I'm not keen on giving him a NHL deal.

I'd rather go out and pay a premium for a Kris Newbury-like player on a NHL deal than give another NHL deal to a guy like Fontaine who would more than likely be a depth player there

Reactions: egelband

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
If he were an RFA last year, I would've immediately said to re-sign him. With the injury and new additions to Hartford, I'm on the fence. I could see him walk.... I could see him stay. I'll tell you one thing, though, Justin Richards might've surpassed him in the 4th line, defensive center department.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fontaine strikes me as one of those guys that, at 27 on this fourth organization, will have a good year as a fourth line player and a bunch of people will criticize the organization for letting him leave.

I wasn't even that high on him before the injury. The injury--I'd like to know more about it. Obviously it was severe. The shoulder. What was it exactly? What are the chances it diminishes his game moving forward? He was never very physical, but could still play in the corners. Is that going to be a problem? I'd want to know more. The Rangers obviously do, and I would assume it factors into their decision.

I'd give him a QO, and then he has a year to show that he is at least back to what he was in 18-19. If he can't get back to where he was then, I'm looking to dump him.

Reactions: Leetch3

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Fontaine strikes me as one of those guys that, at 27 on this fourth organization, will have a good year as a fourth line player and a bunch of people will criticize the organization for letting him leave.

I wasn't even that high on him before the injury. The injury--I'd like to know more about it. Obviously it was severe. The shoulder. What was it exactly? What are the chances it diminishes his game moving forward? He was never very physical, but could still play in the corners. Is that going to be a problem? I'd want to know more. The Rangers obviously do, and I would assume it factors into their decision.

I'd give him a QO, and then he has a year to show that he is at least back to what he was in 18-19. If he can't get back to where he was then, I'm looking to dump him.

I am surprised nobody has complained about us letting Kodie Curran walk :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->