Confirmed with Link: New York Rangers 6th Round Pick #171 OA - Gabriel Fontaine (C)

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
still happy we gave him a shot. he played a defensive game that was incredibly refined by juniors standards and being able to get a guaranteed competent AHL player out of a 6th round pick is good regardless

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
thats because 1)he was never rangers property and 2)no one besides you had ever heard his name before you made this post. but now that I know I'm outraged.
I said in a different thread, I remember him being in the organization. I even remember some random person saying despite his background and age, he was one to keep an eye on. But what I don't remember is anything about him in his 20 or so games with Hartford. I wasn't watching Greenville, where he spent most of his time, but I literally don't remember him playing for Hartford at all.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
it will happen. people did with Jam, Goodraw, and Sustr when the Rangers had them in their development camps :thumbu::sarcasm::naughty:
im sure fans are asking themselves why they trade Nigel Dawes and let Pareanteau walk
Sustr was another one I didn't get. A whole bunch of teams offered him contracts. He chose to go to Tampa and stepped right in. Can't fault us for that. I mean Zaitsev was also in development camp with us twice--and again, lots of teams wanted him. It is what it is.

Goodrow was funny, because no one seemed to care initially, even after he signed and immediately jumped into 60 games for SJS. The next few seasons he was a fringe player. Then he becomes a good bottom six guy at 25, and people are annoyed again.

I really believe Dawes would have gotten himself killed had he stayed in the NHL. I'm glad he went to the KHL and made a name for himelf. It wasn't happening here and he got hit too much. Like Prucha.

Reactions: The Sweetness

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Sustr was another one I didn't get. A whole bunch of teams offered him contracts. He chose to go to Tampa and stepped right in. Can't fault us for that. I mean Zaitsev was also in development camp with us twice--and again, lots of teams wanted him. It is what it is.

Goodrow was funny, because no one seemed to care initially, even after he signed and immediately jumped into 60 games for SJS. The next few seasons he was a fringe player. Then he becomes a good bottom six guy at 25, and people are annoyed again.

I really believe Dawes would have gotten himself killed had he stayed in the NHL. I'm glad he went to the KHL and made a name for himelf. It wasn't happening here and he got hit too much. Like Prucha.
As flimsy as Petr Prucha, Dawes was stocky. I think he could have taken the hits, it just would have taken him a few extra years to put it together due to his size. It was a matter of him learning the slipperniness that Zucc had. Dawes didn't have Zucc's smarts but I think he would have made it....eventually. No one's got patience for that though anymore, unless you're 6'3 or over, then it's worthwhile. The odds are just so stacked against shorter players that teams would rather other leagues/teams take the lumps developing them, and then poach them away after. Happy Dawes carved out a successful career for himself in the KHL

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
As flimsy as Petr Prucha, Dawes was stocky. I think he could have taken the hits, it just would have taken him a few extra years to put it together due to his size. It was a matter of him learning the slipperniness that Zucc had. Dawes didn't have Zucc's smarts but I think he would have made it....eventually. No one's got patience for that though anymore, unless you're 6'3 or over, then it's worthwhile. The odds are just so stacked against shorter players that teams would rather other leagues/teams take the lumps developing them, and then poach them away after. Happy Dawes carved out a successful career for himself in the KHL
I liked Dawes, but he was already on his fifth organization and was 25 when he left. His final season, he spent the vast majority in the AHL. I'm not sure if he ever would have been given an opportunity to make it. I remember Holland, when he came here, he was kind of in the same boat--it was like his NHL days were behind him, and he was going to have to be an AHL guy fighting for another chance forever. Or like Justin Fontaine or someone.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Do we have any expectations on this guy?
Did he make ANY progress while here?

There's enough deadwood he could get a spot in the A, but don't see him in NY unless 5-6 Fs go down at once. Maybe.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Some people here like him.

He's a good defensive player who just had a serious injury and doesn't bring much else to the table. IMO he looks like a guy that could have a nice AHL career and will end up as a journeyman, maybe getting a few games here and there with different organizations. Others seem to think he's the potential 4C of the future.

I think it's 50/50 that we qualify him.

Reactions: bernmeister

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Sorry to repeat myself, based on precedent. I anticipate NYR qualify Fontaine,
He's NYR draftee, who has spent entire ELC w AHL affiliate.
Can't recall a similar case that wasnt QO'd.

Similarly, I wont be surprised if Crawley is QO'd. 1st 2 ELC seasons at AHL level. This year he was demoted to ECHL early and recalled late.
But in Steven's interview, he alludes to health issues early.
A ForeverBlueshirts Pack columnist posting cited his strong play after recall even contributing to Rykov DNP
And the ForeverBlueshirts column, re taxi squad for this summer, cited NYR insider source speculating Crawley as under consideration.
And the recent Day/Gross attrition from NYR ReserveList lessens the LHD pipeline logjam.
Crawley is more of a stayathome physical LHD than Rykov, Hajek, Miller, Reunanen.
But the Geertsen re-signing could mean NYR wont QO

Reactions: bernmeister

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Not every draft pick becomes an NHL player. Most late round picks don't even become good AHL players (See Andrew Yogan, Jason Wilson Shane McColgan, Michael st Croix, too many to name)

So a decent AHL player in the 6th round isn't really a bust in my mind. Gettinger-Fontaine-Ronning in 5-6-7 is actually a pretty good late round haul, though I prefer the long shots on lower league Europeans who don't get scouted as heavily as the Canadian Juniors.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I wonder if the deadline for issuing qualifying offers will be extended. It's usually June 25, but I can see a number of reasons as to why the league would want to ask the PA to delay it.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Some people here like him.

He's a good defensive player who just had a serious injury and doesn't bring much else to the table. IMO he looks like a guy that could have a nice AHL career and will end up as a journeyman, maybe getting a few games here and there with different organizations. Others seem to think he's the potential 4C of the future.

I think it's 50/50 that we qualify him.

My take as well and I like him more than some, not as much as others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->