Confirmed with Link: New York Rangers 4th Round pick #98 OA - Tarmo Reunanen (LD)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Let me know when @Amazing Kreiderman starts following him to different countries and continents...

I have actually met him in Turku in Sept 2017. He was a healthy scratch that day, but asked around and found out where he was sitting, so I walked up to him and spoke to him for a few minutes. Virta was playing, so the trip was at least worth it (3 hour drive from Helsinki where I was for a week for work, so not that bad)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If eliminated would Tarmo be joining Hartford?

Possible but not likely. We own his rights for another year and he just signed an extension. While that is not proof he won't come over, to me it's indicative he intends to stay another year

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Possible but not likely. We own his rights for another year and he just signed an extension. While that is not proof he won't come over, to me it's indicative he intends to stay another year
Stinks. Would rather get him over now to start his transition from playing in Europe to the NA game and rinks.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I wouldn’t say that’s indicative of anything more than making sure he has a place to play next season.

Reactions: nyr2k2

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
He's 21. There's no reason to rush.
I mean 21 is young but its not that young in terms of NHL prospects making the jump, if the kid is indeed a legit talent. He stays another year and he wont be joining the Rangers until he is 22. Its not like our defense couldnt use all the help it can get. I think it would actually benefit him to make a push now. If he waits and then say Rykov comes over and earns a spot, that only takes one more spot away from Tarmo. Skjei. Hajek. ADA. Those 3 are already here imo. I think Lindgren could push his way. Rykov. Plus whatever Veterans you are going to have, whether thats 1-2. He would be potentially coming over the same time Miller and Lundkvist might be making their move.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I mean 21 is young but its not that young in terms of NHL prospects making the jump, if the kid is indeed a legit talent. He stays another year and he wont be joining the Rangers until he is 22. Its not like our defense couldnt use all the help it can get. I think it would actually benefit him to make a push now. If he waits and then say Rykov comes over and earns a spot, that only takes one more spot away from Tarmo. Skjei. Hajek. ADA. Those 3 are already here imo. I think Lindgren could push his way. Rykov. Plus whatever Veterans you are going to have, whether thats 1-2. He would be potentially coming over the same time Miller and Lundkvist might be making their move.

If he comes over this year, and spends a full season in the AHL, it would be in line with Vatanen, Niku and Lindell who all came over at age 21 and became NHL regulars at age 22.

However, Reunanen played just 1 full season in Liiga due to injuries and depth in Turku.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
If he comes over this year, and spends a full season in the AHL, it would be in line with Vatanen, Niku and Lindell who all came over at age 21 and became NHL regulars at age 22
And I think that would be great for his development. Get into the swing of things here. Be more visible to the team as a potential callup. Time will tell.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
And I think that would be great for his development. Get into the swing of things here. Be more visible to the team as a potential callup. Time will tell.

If Reunanen had 2-3 seasons of solid top-4 minutes in Liiga, I would not hesitate to bring him over. It's just that he has had only 1 full season where he was relied on for the tough match ups. Same with Rykov. They had very similar paths to where they are right now

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
One more year overseas will not slowdown his development and given the logjam of LDs in the NHL/AHL I think it would be logical to sort it out first (to some degree) before Reunanen comes over.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah the Finnish names should generally be pretty easy for an English speaker. They almost always are phonetic. I mean you have to keep things in mind like the J being like a Y, but for anyone that's been watching hockey for any period of time it should be easy. I feel like Swedish is basically the same. There are some nuances in stressing certain vowels and all that, but again, anyone who has been a hockey fan for a long time should be able to get the names close enough to where a native Finn or Swede would have no problem understanding who you were talking about.

Russian is usually not too bad. I feel like the biggest problem for English speakers there is knowing which syllables to emphasize. Like, Var-LOM-ov as opposed to Var-luh-mov. English speakers seem to not be able to immediately figure out those nuances. Czech and Slovak can sometimes be tough but usually aren't bad.

For me personally the somewhat difficult one Latvian, among countries that play hockey and produce NHL players on occasion. So we're not counting China or anything. I also still f***ing struggle with French Canadian names sometimes, LOL.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I wouldn’t say that’s indicative of anything more than making sure he has a place to play next season.
not sure. guys in one high league can easily join another year... signing an extension requires a level of commitment. it's his first good half season since his draft. No rush.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Yeah the Finnish names should generally be pretty easy for an English speaker. They almost always are phonetic. I mean you have to keep things in mind like the J being like a Y, but for anyone that's been watching hockey for any period of time it should be easy. I feel like Swedish is basically the same. There are some nuances in stressing certain vowels and all that, but again, anyone who has been a hockey fan for a long time should be able to get the names close enough to where a native Finn or Swede would have no problem understanding who you were talking about.

Russian is usually not too bad. I feel like the biggest problem for English speakers there is knowing which syllables to emphasize. Like, Var-LOM-ov as opposed to Var-luh-mov. English speakers seem to not be able to immediately figure out those nuances. Czech and Slovak can sometimes be tough but usually aren't bad.

For me personally the somewhat difficult one Latvian, among countries that play hockey and produce NHL players on occasion. So we're not counting China or anything. I also still ****ing struggle with French Canadian names sometimes, LOL.

The r with the hacek in Czech, which sounds like a rolling "r" and a "zh" combined, can be hard for non-native speakers.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

For me personally the somewhat difficult one Latvian, among countries that play hockey and produce NHL players on occasion. So we're not counting China or anything. I also still ****ing struggle with French Canadian names sometimes, LOL.

Nyquist being pronounced "Nye-kvist" instead of "Knee-kvist" annoys me to no end.

And there are some other names as well. Reunanen's name will definitely be butchered in English :laugh:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Nyquist being pronounced "Nye-kvist" instead of "Knee-kvist" annoys me to no end.

And there are some other names as well. Reunanen's name will definitely be butchered in English :laugh:
Yeah, understood. My thing is, if a non-native speaker can pronounce the name well enough that a native speaker understands it, it's good enough to be acceptable (like Nyquist). I mean the U.S. is a huge melting pot and to hear some people from other cultures try to pronounce "American names" (I know actual American names are few and far between), it can be a real struggle. But as long as people are making an effort I'm cool with it.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, understood. My thing is, if a non-native speaker can pronounce the name well enough that a native speaker understands it, it's good enough to be acceptable (like Nyquist). I mean the U.S. is a huge melting pot and to hear some people from other cultures try to pronounce "American names" (I know actual American names are few and far between), it can be a real struggle. But as long as people are making an effort I'm cool with it.

That's a good point. I was very impressed with the way Sam and Joe pronounce Chytil's name. I just don't see the same effort with names from Nordic languages. It's just a personal gripe because I get so used to the pronunciation when they still play here, that it is more noticeable once they move to the US and the names are "Americanized"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad