Confirmed with Link: New York Rangers 4th Round pick #98 OA - Tarmo Reunanen (LD)

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Listened to some finish tape, sick of this debate.

In Finnland he's pronounced: REH-U-NAH-NEN - practically impossible to get correct since vowels are so stupid to transcribe, specially into english.

Reactions: Ola

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Listened to some finish tape, sick of this debate.

In Finnland he's pronounced: REH-U-NAH-NEN - practically impossible to get correct since vowels are so stupid to transcribe, specially into english.

How difficult is it to say "Ray You Nah Nun"?

If they can get Chytil's name right, this one shouldn't be a problem.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
How difficult is it to say "Ray You Nah Nun"?

If they can get Chytil's name right, this one shouldn't be a problem.

Well "RAY" and "YOU" are wrong and it's not difficult to say, just wrong.

Also I'm pretty sure they didn't get Chytil name right; I'd need tape of Chytil himself pronouncing his name.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Well "RAY" and "YOU" are wrong and it's not difficult to say, just wrong.

Also I'm pretty sure they didn't get Chytil name right; I'd need tape of Chytil himself pronouncing his name.

If you want to get very specific, no. Chytil's name is impossible to pronounce for English speakers, because the CH is pronounced like a cat hissing. Pronouncing it as Hee-Til is very close to the correct way.

Ray-You-Nah-Nun is, based on the English language, the easiest way to explain it to people.

Go to their EP pages, and click the speaker-icon next to their name.

Tarmo Reunanen at eliteprospects.com

Filip Chytil at eliteprospects.com

As someone who works with Czechs and Finns, I can confirm both these pronunciations are correct

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Sooo any news on Tarmo possibly coming over? I know @Amazing Kreiderman suggested he would be over for camp. It has to be a possibility that if he comes over for camp he can win a job or be swayed to stay and play in the AHL

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Sooo any news on Tarmo possibly coming over? I know @Amazing Kreiderman suggested he would be over for camp. It has to be a possibility that if he comes over for camp he can win a job or be swayed to stay and play in the AHL

There are different scenarios here.

A. He stays in Finland and signs his ELC in 2020 (Final year of his rights before expiring)
B. He signs his ELC and plays in NA
C. He signs his ELC and is loaned out to Lukko

Regardless of which scenario plays out, he can come over for prospect camp.

Reactions: JimmyG89 and RGY

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
There are different scenarios here.

A. He stays in Finland and signs his ELC in 2020 (Final year of his rights before expiring)
B. He signs his ELC and plays in NA
C. He signs his ELC and is loaned out to Lukko

Regardless of which scenario plays out, he can come over for prospect camp.

C is the best option. LD is still backed up for now. Let him play in Liiga for another season with big minutes and come over when his season ends. AHL and Liiga aren't much different, but the player being comfortable after finally getting on track would be ideal.

Unless we have a mass exodus of our LHD (which would mean buyouts of Staal and MAYBE a trade of Smith), having him stay is worth that alone.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If you want to get very specific, no. Chytil's name is impossible to pronounce for English speakers, because the CH is pronounced like a cat hissing. Pronouncing it as Hee-Til is very close to the correct way.

Ray-You-Nah-Nun is, based on the English language, the easiest way to explain it to people.

Go to their EP pages, and click the speaker-icon next to their name.

Tarmo Reunanen at eliteprospects.com

Filip Chytil at eliteprospects.com

As someone who works with Czechs and Finns, I can confirm both these pronunciations are correct

That surprises me a bit, it sounds natural and I am sure it’s correct. But what threw me is that U normally is pronounced as O in Finnish. That it why I assumed that it was Roynanen.

Tarmo will be butchered too. You need to play an act when pronouncing Finnish to get it right. It’s like when those news anchors speak perfect English and then totally change their voice to pronounce a Mexican name the right way.

Imagine that you want to get a small children to cry, but you are only allowed to say “Tarmo”. Try it on someone and call it out a few times, should get you close. ;)

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Reunanen may seem well-mannered and soft-spoken but make no mistake: he is highly competitive. “A spot on the NHL team is my one and only goal. Not for a second have I thought about the AHL or Liiga,” he said during the camp.

Love that he really wants to make the Rangers and that the NHL is his only goal. Love that kind of passion!!

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Reunanen may seem well-mannered and soft-spoken but make no mistake: he is highly competitive. “A spot on the NHL team is my one and only goal. Not for a second have I thought about the AHL or Liiga,” he said during the camp.

Love that he really wants to make the Rangers and that the NHL is his only goal. Love that kind of passion!!
I love it too, as long as he doesn't cry and try to run home when he "unexpectedly" starts in Hartford. :laugh:

Reactions: ecemleafs and D713B

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
This risk reserved exclusively top-10 picks

how would fans feel if Kakko did this during this season while on the Rangers? imagine if the Rangers tried to send him to Hartford and he didn't want to go. at least Shesterkin did not feel entitled like Andersson did. pay your way like every other pro athlete has done

D713B

Mar 9, 2008
I love it too, as long as he doesn't cry and try to run home when he "unexpectedly" starts in Hartford. :laugh:

Looks like it was Bridgeport that caused him to flee.

"After the Devils game, Reunanen practiced with the AHL’s Hartford Wolf Pack for a while. He got another preseason chance with the Rangers — in a game against the New York Islanders in Bridgeport, Connecticut — but didn’t make the NHL team after all. Back to Finland he went."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad