GDT: New York Rangers 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
They have always been there on the first day of camp. Well when they actually want to show up. Every year its less and less coverage

My feeling has been that there has been less and less information and availability of upper management over the last several years. The organization is well known for its lack of communication and information with outside media.

I also wonder if they are especially tight lipped this year to give the new coaching staff (and the players, especially the prospects, a little breathing room--they'll have to face all the vultures soon enough!:biglaugh:

I'm sure there will be more information out there soon enough. You just can't hide a hockey team for long.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I'm gonna take a stab at what the opening night roster will look like in October....

Buchnevich-Zibanejad-Kreider
Spooner-Namestnikov-Zuccarello
Vesey-Hayes-Fast
Chytil/Andersson-Andersson/Chytil-Meskanen

13th: 1 or 2 of McLeod/Fontaine/Fogarty/Beleskey/Nieves/Lettieri

(Depending on if Quinn wants more forwards than defenders)

Shattenkirk-Skjei
Staal-Pionk
McQuaid-Smith

7th: 1 or 2 of DeAngelo/Claesson/Gilmour/Hajek

(Depending on if Quinn wants more defenders than forwards)

Lundqvist
Mazanec or Georgiev

This is all hypothetical (especially line combos), but there's going to be a lot of competition coming in training camp. I could very well see a lot of different scenarios happening....

I think the best competition will come in between the pipes. There are 3 capable goalies of becoming the back-up, IMO. I think it'll depend on if management/coaching staff want to play Georgiev in the NHL or in Hartford. Makes me think, though. Once Shesterkin comes over, it would be a battle between him and Georgiev. Then Huska comes along. There's going to be a big logjam there. Wonder who gets moved....

Obviously it's all speculation for fun at this point, but I doubt we're seeing either Namest or Spooner at C even though have played the position. Zib and Hayes are #1 and #2 C. Then you have Chytil, Andersson, Howden that are all natural centers and then Nieves, Lettieri on top of that when considering 4th line C. When it comes to the young guys... if they do make the big club out of camp I think they'll want to see them at their natural position. I'm someone who is quick to flip Chytil to a top-6 wing with his build and speed, but I can't imagine the coaching staff and FO not wanting to see them all down the middle first.

Hell, we all say it all day, every day... we need to develop a #1 C if the team is going to be successful in the future. That isn't to say these kids will never be on the W if they make the big club; I just don't think Namest should be in the center when there is that pipeline. My guess (or maybe hope, I guess haha):
Kreider-Zib-Buch
Spooner-Hayes-Zucc
Namest-Chytil-Meskanen
Vesey-Andersson/Howden-Fast (other of Lias and Howden down to A)
Nieves

Skjei-Shatt
Staal-McQuaid
Smith-ADA
Claesson

As much as I'd love Hajek to make it, very few defensemen are going to make the direct jump if there are vets that can play. As I've said in a few posts, I really believe that some of the talks with Hank involved a guarantee that they will put a veteran D in front of him to help him out through this "feeling out" season... or at least the first half of the season.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
On the ice!

3c66593df89a1e418a72dbca059c85fe.gif

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Are the groups from the other day the groups they're using now? I saw them but the Rangers deleted the tweets.

Yes, team B will be on the ice at 11:45 am, and team C will start 1:30 pm. They removed those lineups because there will be no fixed lines on these teams.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Reward all players that miss the net with shots/are responsible for goals against in TC with more ice time during the regular season. The tank is on

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
My pre camp guess

I think the NHL roster will be overwhelmingly veteran to start the season. Unless injuries happen or some vets come in completely unusable, I think the only players on the opening roster, (excluding the backup goalie) who do not have at least one full NHL season under their belts will be ADA and Pionk and one of them will be the healthy scratch.

Fine by me. Let the young guys season a little more while we tank one more year.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
What I hope everyone realizes is that it is VERY likely that the team won't be playing Quinn's system right out of the gate. There will likely be an AV hangover and tendencies that will need to be broken as the season goes on. Kind of like how the team was actually good in 13-14 and then once AV had time to fully get everyone to "buy in" they started sucking.

inb4 after Game 1 we get "these guys play just like when AV was here. Quinn is the same coach. #FireQuinn #FireGorton"

Lindgren is a lefty. Had the same thought process, so the only remaining suspect is Vinny '95'
Yeah I'm having a difficult time discerning what the first number is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad