GDT: New York Rangers 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Guys like Beleskey, McLeod, Smith, and perhaps Meskanen will also be in consideration for the roster. Hajek has been discusses as a potential dark horse as well.
Smith and Bekeskey will be given every opportunity to make the team. Am betting that McLeod will be in the starting line up on opening night.

I do not see any chance of Gilmour making the team.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
My pre camp guess

I think the NHL roster will be overwhelmingly veteran to start the season. Unless injuries happen or some vets come in completely unusable, I think the only players on the opening roster, (excluding the backup goalie) who do not have at least one full NHL season under their belts will be ADA and Pionk and one of them will be the healthy scratch.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Not necessarily my line combos, just displaying the roster including my locks for who makes the team.

Yes ADA will be on the team. They won't risk losing him for nothing, he will be given every chance to succeed, and I believe that even if he is beaten out for the spot that he will be kept on the team as a spare.

McQuaid was brought here to play

Kreider - Zib - Buch
Zucc - Hayes - Spooner
Vesey - Names - Fast
xxxxx - xxxxx - xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxx

Skjei - Shatty
Staal - ADA
xxxxx - McQuaid
xxxxx

Hank
xxxxx

For the Forwards, I am reasonably confident that both Lias AND Chytil will both earn spots. Not enough to call them locks, but more likely than not.

Interesting to see what the competition looks like for forwards.

For the spare forward spots I would like to see some kind of combo of Nieves/Lettieri/Meskanen/Fontaine/Lindqvist.

This is Boo's last stand IMO.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
McQuaid will be injured. I wouldn't count on him playing more than 40 games, even if he's playing well (for him).

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Not necessarily my line combos, just displaying the roster including my locks for who makes the team.

Yes ADA will be on the team. They won't risk losing him for nothing, he will be given every chance to succeed, and I believe that even if he is beaten out for the spot that he will be kept on the team as a spare.

McQuaid was brought here to play

Kreider - Zib - Buch
Zucc - Hayes - Spooner
Vesey - Names - Fast
xxxxx - xxxxx - xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxx

Skjei - Shatty
Staal - ADA
xxxxx - McQuaid
xxxxx

Hank
xxxxx

For the Forwards, I am reasonably confident that both Lias AND Chytil will both earn spots. Not enough to call them locks, but more likely than not.

Interesting to see what the competition looks like for forwards.

For the spare forward spots I would like to see some kind of combo of Nieves/Lettieri/Meskanen/Fontaine/Lindqvist.

This is Boo's last stand IMO.

I would tend to agree that you are right here. As well as Pionk played, when thrust into a spot that was a bit over his head, his contract is able to move without waivers. ADA is either playing his way into the lineup or into the press box with Smith and Claesson landing the 2 spots. If Hajek plays his way into an opening season look, I think they'd just carry 8D for a bit. I feel like the organization is making a concerted effort to give Henrik some veteran support on D while they begin to figure out path forward.

I don't think Lindqvist will be much of a threat for a position, personally. The other 4 + Howden are definitely going to be in the mix along with Chytil and Andersson for the final 3 spots. I really like how Meskanen looked at TC so I'm eager to see how he looks against pros.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'm just excited to see the players that step up for those open slots.

I have no clue as to who they are goi g to be, nor do I care to venture a guess.

No one expected Smith to be a fat body last year.

Its exciting.

Reactions: haveandare

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Nothing wrong with easing young players into a lineup with “good guy” vets. The kids will take permanent spots when they deserve them.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I'm gonna take a stab at what the opening night roster will look like in October....

Buchnevich-Zibanejad-Kreider
Spooner-Namestnikov-Zuccarello
Vesey-Hayes-Fast
Chytil/Andersson-Andersson/Chytil-Meskanen

13th: 1 or 2 of McLeod/Fontaine/Fogarty/Beleskey/Nieves/Lettieri

(Depending on if Quinn wants more forwards than defenders)

Shattenkirk-Skjei
Staal-Pionk
McQuaid-Smith

7th: 1 or 2 of DeAngelo/Claesson/Gilmour/Hajek

(Depending on if Quinn wants more defenders than forwards)

Lundqvist
Mazanec or Georgiev

This is all hypothetical (especially line combos), but there's going to be a lot of competition coming in training camp. I could very well see a lot of different scenarios happening....

I think the best competition will come in between the pipes. There are 3 capable goalies of becoming the back-up, IMO. I think it'll depend on if management/coaching staff want to play Georgiev in the NHL or in Hartford. Makes me think, though. Once Shesterkin comes over, it would be a battle between him and Georgiev. Then Huska comes along. There's going to be a big logjam there. Wonder who gets moved....

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm gonna take a stab at what the opening night roster will look like in October....

Vesey-Hayes-Fast

Shattenkirk-Skjei
Staal-Pionk
McQuaid-Smith

Lundqvist
Mazanec or Georgiev

This is all hypothetical (especially line combos), but there's going to be a lot of competition coming in training camp. I could very well see a lot of different scenarios happening....

I think the best competition will come in between the pipes. There are 3 capable goalies of becoming the back-up, IMO. I think it'll depend on if management/coaching staff want to play Georgiev in the NHL or in Hartford. Makes me think, though. Once Shesterkin comes over, it would be a battle between him and Georgiev. Then Huska comes along. There's going to be a big logjam there. Wonder who gets moved....

We're pretty much on the same page. I like Georgiev a lot but if he's with the Rangers this year Quinn will need to play him at least 30 games. Less than that for a 22 year old goalie does not seem enough. I would want to see him get at least some NHL games this year though.

On defense I think the pressure is on DeAngelo to outplay Pionk and make the team. I think it will be one or the other. I think if ADA can keep it close the Rangers will send Pionk to Hartford just because he doesn't have to go through waivers and then the pressure will be on DeAngelo to show he can perform well enough defensively because he's probably not going to be the first option on the power play with Shattenkirk ahead of him. If he's a 2nd pairing guy whose not the first option pwp he's going to need to pk to be getting his 20 minutes a night. If he can't do that I think we'll see Pionk back.

I don't know about the lines but I suspect that Hayes will be the 2nd option center on the power play and the 1st option center on the pk. Andersson and Pionk have inside shots but Lindqvist and Meskanen are in the picture. Do the Rangers keep McLeod as the 13th F? I like Nieves as a 4th line option. Big, strong and fast. The one guy on your list I don't think will be in the picture is Fogarty.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
We're pretty much on the same page. I like Georgiev a lot but if he's with the Rangers this year Quinn will need to play him at least 30 games. Less than that for a 22 year old goalie does not seem enough. I would want to see him get at least some NHL games this year though.

On defense I think the pressure is on DeAngelo to outplay Pionk and make the team. I think it will be one or the other. I think if ADA can keep it close the Rangers will send Pionk to Hartford just because he doesn't have to go through waivers and then the pressure will be on DeAngelo to show he can perform well enough defensively because he's probably not going to be the first option on the power play with Shattenkirk ahead of him. If he's a 2nd pairing guy whose not the first option pwp he's going to need to pk to be getting his 20 minutes a night. If he can't do that I think we'll see Pionk back.

I don't know about the lines but I suspect that Hayes will be the 2nd option center on the power play and the 1st option center on the pk. Andersson and Pionk have inside shots but Lindqvist and Meskanen are in the picture. Do the Rangers keep McLeod as the 13th F? I like Nieves as a 4th line option. Big, strong and fast. The one guy on your list I don't think will be in the picture is Fogarty.

Yeah the lines will most likely change, but again, all hypothetical. I added Fogarty on there because of his defensive qualities, but I agree that he probably won't be there come opening night. Think Fontaine has the edge over him, ATM.

It'll be an interesting preseason, for sure.... :popcorn:

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Yeah the lines will most likely change, but again, all hypothetical. I added Fogarty on there because of his defensive qualities, but I agree that he probably won't be there come opening night. Think Fontaine has the edge over him, ATM.

It'll be an interesting preseason, for sure.... :popcorn:
I wouldn't mind a 4th line of:
Beleskey-Fontaine/Nieves-Meskanen

If Chytil and Andersson aren't in the top 9, send them to Hartford. I really like Meskanen's size and talent.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

Vesey-Hayes-Fast

Shattenkirk-Skjei
Staal-Pionk
McQuaid-Smith

Lundqvist
Mazanec or Georgiev

My guess is:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Namestnikov-Spooner-Zuccarello
Vesey-Hayes-Fast
Beleskey-Nieves-Meskanen

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Smith-Pionk
Staal-McQuaid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events