RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Guessing:

Skjei-ADA
Hajek-Smith
Gilmour-Keane

Interested to see Libor out there. Physically he's ready for the NHL, reads, timing, systems, and coverage are things he needs to work on.

Looking forward to seeing Keane. Expecting a couple of puck rushes out there from him, and a couple of runs at guys in the neutral zone.
Im excited to see all them except Gilmour. Even Smith. But I agree with you on your two choices. Nothing but good things have been said about Hajek and Keane thus far.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Im excited to see all them except Gilmour. Even Smith. But I agree with you on your two choices. Nothing but good things have been said about Hajek and Keane thus far.

Yeah I don't care for Gilmour at all. Just a body that was needed last year.

But Keane and Hajek are the two I'm excited about. Something tells me that Keane molds his game after Drew Doughty. Even if he isn't good, I'm happy with a wannabe Drew Doughty.

Reactions: haveandare and RGY

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Its an interesting scenario. Everyone has gotten one game, except those two. ADA and Buch have gotten two in their place. Are they injured? One of the beat reporters should ask that, if there are any of them still left.

I thought so too then realized McQuaid isn’t dressing crawley either and good old Bobby butler too so it’s really 5 guys I believe not dressing thru first two games.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah I don't care for Gilmour at all. Just a body that was needed last year.

But Keane and Hajek are the two I'm excited about. Something tells me that Keane molds his game after Drew Doughty. Even if he isn't good, I'm happy with a wannabe Drew Doughty.

More Duncan Keith than Doughty IMO.

Discount Duncan would be just as good.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Spooner-Zib-Buch
Vesey-Chytil-Namestnikov
Gropp-Howden-Lettieri
Beleskey-Holland-Fontaine

Skjei-Hajek
Smith-ADA
Gilmour-Keane
Don't see them playing Hajek at RD when he's primarily a LD, especially in his first game with the Rangers. Gilmour and Smith have both played plenty of RD, so I'd just let them deal with it tomorrow. If Hajek is going to win a spot on the team, it'll be as a LD.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Its an interesting scenario. Everyone has gotten one game, except those two. ADA and Buch have gotten two in their place. Are they injured? One of the beat reporters should ask that, if there are any of them still left.

No no they're both in great shape, can't wait to get started. But as I said, they have some privileges, coach and Shatty being close friends and all. They'll ease through this preseason, probably play a couple of games.

Reactions: egelband

RonaldNeptune

Nov 13, 2017
Right. Saying that Ronning isn't less of a prospect than Yamamoto is absurd.

IMO guys like Ronning (and zuc for comparison) have faced adversity their whole careers. Being doubted and underestimated are not going to deter their development.

Ronning didn’t have the best showing but it would seem with his appointment of captain 2 years running at TC, unless I’m mistaken, that he possesss the intangibles to perservere. I would be willing to bet he earns a promotion amidst injuries and gets his opportunity to stick in the bigs if not this year then the next

Reactions: Webster

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I find it a bit strange that Buchnevich is playing again, when they should be looking at the likes of Lindqvist or Meskanen or Andersson.

Why are Bobby Butler and Drew Melanson still here?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
A magic number for me this year is 250.

Under Alain, the Rangers became more of a passive bunch in more ways than one. Especially when shooting the puck. Last year, it resulted in the worst shot differentials.

But in the last 3 years, the Rangers did not have a single player that hit 250 SOGs. Hell the Rangers didn't have a single 30 goal scorer under Alain except for Nash (when he had over 300 SOGs).

Forget the %s for a second, and think about that. How does that happen? Guys aren't shooting enough. Add to that, under Alain, not a single player hit 70 points. Not one. There were 3 instances of 60 points, with two of those guys hitting 60 and 61 points.

Pavel wants to score big goals? Pavel needs to shoot. 250.

Zibby wants to be a first line scorer? Shoot like one. 250.

Kreider wants to break 30? 250.

Why do I bring this up? There wasn't enough pucks and bodies going towards the net the last few years. Not enough willing shooter, and fewer 2nd/3rd chance opportunities. Low point totals, not enough elite talent etc... but none of these guys shot like top tier scorers on other teams.

That gets to change.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Chytil god tomorrow and hopefully with Zucc so he can get another 60 pts. season. and that`s win win for Rangers concerning his value. ;)

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'm crossing my fingers for:

Skjei-ADA
Gilmour-Smith
Hajek-Keane

Skjei and ADA were absolutely lights out together last year; give them a chance to do it again.

I'm higher on Gilmour than most, and I think his and Smith's skillsets are perfectly complimentary. I'd like to see how that pairing would work.

Hajek and Keane are both precocious little buggers who are trying to force management's hand. Would be really fun if they got put together with the AHL in mind, but they over-achieved and we got a chance to bicker over them for a few weeks.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
There are too many players now so they save both Kevin & Zucc in tomorrow game - I saw the official tweet earlier and that should be interesting, but a challenge vs Flyers when you see Vessey in a top 6 role. :)
We have a good depth this year, but not that deep. :s

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Nice to see Lundqvist’s name in the lineup. It’s gonna be weird when he’s not there anymore.
Yes true that. We always have a chance to reach playoffs with him as a goalie in this new season - it all depends how well we defend. And that`s why I refuse to speculate our table position this year with new system, coach, and we still have Lundqvist and in my opinion better depth compare to last year especially with all the injuries that hit us.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yes true that. We always have a chance to reach playoffs with him as a goalie in this new season - it all depends how well we defend. And that`s why I refuse to speculate our table position this year with new system, coach, and we still have Lundqvist and in my opinion better depth compare to last year especially with all the injuries that hit us.
I was talking more nostalgically but I do agree. With Lundqvist, a new system, and lots of solid hungry talent I’m not writing-off this season yet. Not at all.

Reactions: Ori

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I gotta be honest with you, my concern right now is how he thinks through the game.

In so many ways he feels like he's on the opposite end of the spectrum from a guy like Andersson.

Obviously different players and different positions, but just feel like they're approaching from two different directions.

Andersson isn't a guy whose skills immediately jump out at you. He isn't a physical speciman, he isn't flashy, he's not really who blows you away with any one particular skill. But he's smart, and he knows where to be, and he makes sure he gets there and almost instinctively knows what to do. There's a certain efficiency to his movements and thought process.

Day is a guy who catches your eye on the ice. He's big, moves fluidly (moreso than straight speed), can cover a lot of ground and generates attention. But there's often a sense that he's moments from disaster, a hesitation, a slight delay as the play unfolds, or that he doesn't quite fully grasp what's happening in front of him. You tend to see if against better individual competition, or better than average teams. It's like watching a fielder who doesn't get a good read as the ball leaves the bat, but is athletic enough to get to the plays.

Because of that, you wonder how it will translate against better competition where the game is so much faster. I don't think the reads and awareness will ever be a strength, but can he keep progressing to the point where he's good enough (with his athletic ability) to make it work?

But that answer isn't going to come sooner, if it comes at all. It's going to take time and patience, and maybe even a second contract.

I wish I could like this more than once. Spot on.

Reactions: haveandare

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Day is a real emperor’s new cloaths phenomenon. Not really a good hockey player. And while skating certainly isn’t a weakness, it’s a strength, sure, but like overall he just don’t move great at all on the ice. Big and not very coordinated. Clumsy at times when he gets to the puck.

Compared to guys like Gilmour and TDA he isn’t even fast getting out of his own end. I don’t know if it’s the exceptional status thing or whatever, I just don’t at all see the same upside in him that others see. I am about as high on him as I was on Calle Andersson...

This is insanity imo, "while skating cerrtainly isn't a weakness" lmao… His skating is ELITE, that is what his skating is. He'd be a top percentile skater in the NHL right now.

It's the rest that's the problem for Day.

Edit: I get being low on Day and it's fine. Criticise every part of his game if you want, but if you criticise his skating or don't acknowledge how good it is then i'm going to call you out for being either blind or a flat out liar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matz03

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This is insanity imo, "while skating cerrtainly isn't a weakness" lmao… His skating is ELITE, no matter what elite means to you, that is what his skating is. He'd be a top percentile skater in the NHL right now.

It's the rest that's the problem for Day.

Haha I understand that it seems like insanity to you because I don't at all see it that way.

For me is he is very good going forward and he has some turns backwards that also are very good. But like Gilmour and ADA would certainly destroy Day in any meaningful -- i.e. not skating a lap around the rink -- skating test. AINEC.

If we put a GPS on Day and one on say a Q Hughes in the same game -- do you think Day's moving pattern and quality in how he moves would stand out in relation to Q Hughes??

I don't know if you remember him but like Aaron Ward was a good skater for a big body in the NHL. It was one reason for why he had a successful NHL career. I would compare Sean Day to Aaron Ward. To me his skating is a plus. But I don't even remotely see anything beyond that. Elite percentile? Where is that coming from?

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I disagree, from a technical standpoint his skating is excellent, the way he moves for a big man is almost unheard of.

Quinn Hughes is also an elite skater who is about 50 lbs lighter then Day, so yes he will change direction quicker based on the laws of physics.

To say that Sean Day is "good skater for his size" is to undermine him. Sean Day would skate circles around peak Aaron Ward.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I'm crossing my fingers for:

Skjei-ADA
Gilmour-Smith
Hajek-Keane

Skjei and ADA were absolutely lights out together last year; give them a chance to do it again.
Yeah. Especially in the Defensive Zone. ADA plays like someone threw a bag over his head.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
A magic number for me this year is 250.

Under Alain, the Rangers became more of a passive bunch in more ways than one. Especially when shooting the puck. Last year, it resulted in the worst shot differentials.

But in the last 3 years, the Rangers did not have a single player that hit 250 SOGs. Hell the Rangers didn't have a single 30 goal scorer under Alain except for Nash (when he had over 300 SOGs).

Forget the %s for a second, and think about that. How does that happen? Guys aren't shooting enough. Add to that, under Alain, not a single player hit 70 points. Not one. There were 3 instances of 60 points, with two of those guys hitting 60 and 61 points.

Pavel wants to score big goals? Pavel needs to shoot. 250.

Zibby wants to be a first line scorer? Shoot like one. 250.

Kreider wants to break 30? 250.

Why do I bring this up? There wasn't enough pucks and bodies going towards the net the last few years. Not enough willing shooter, and fewer 2nd/3rd chance opportunities. Low point totals, not enough elite talent etc... but none of these guys shot like top tier scorers on other teams.

That gets to change.
I think the biggest thing holding players back during AV was his player usage, I don’t know if there was ever a regulation game where a forward hit the 20 min TOI mark. Rick Nash was one of the best goal scorers at even strength while he was here, but that didn’t translate to goal totals because he was getting like 12-13 even strength minutes per game.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think the biggest thing holding players back during AV was his player usage, I don’t know if there was ever a regulation game where a forward hit the 20 min TOI mark. Rick Nash was one of the best goal scorers at even strength while he was here, but that didn’t translate to goal totals because he was getting like 12-13 even strength minutes per game.
I’m no expert but I’d say this is spot on. The best guys should play more. They can handle it. I mean, if a forward can play 18 mins im sure he can play 23 mins. No need for arbitrary limits.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Think Meskannen or Lettieri get a spot , other down

Same for McLeod , Belesky. One spares

Howden down to start unless he’s awesome

Chytil and Andersson make it. Rill 4 lines

Kreider , Zib, Buch
Vesey, Chytil , Zuc
Names , Hayes, X
Spooner, Andersson, Fast
X