Speculation: New York Rangers 2015-16 Roster Building Thread Part XXV ‎- MOaR StufF HappENs NoW?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hey, don't let the cat out of the bag! Maybe they won't notice if no one tells them.:amazed:
Some of the narrative around here is head scratching. People bash Staal & Girardi not only for this year, but for the last several. Then, the same people turn around and play EA hockey and trade these two AND their salaries off to other teams very easily. Not really sure how you can bash on one hand and then trade and state that someone would be a #1 defenseman on a different team. Or do they simply think that the rest of the league is just simply dumb?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm sure some will disagree with me but I wouldn't even be concerned with the return for Staal. Clear that money and resign Yandle with it. Anything else is gravy IMO.
But if he is as bad as you think, then how are you capable of moving him and his salary and not taking any salary back?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Middle of December. That is when you will have a better idea of what teams are out of it for this year or starting to fall out of it. A team like Winnipeg is very interesting. Would be interested in any of Wheeler/Buff/Ladd. All big physical bodies that can grind an opposing team down in the post season. In Winnipeg they are "the guys" there. The leaders. Here they don't have to be "the guy" but a complimentary piece.

And no Staal is not waiving to go there. So Gorton will have to get creative in how he is going to add that one forward for the top 6 that we are missing to get us over the top.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
But if he is as bad as you think, then how are you capable of moving him and his salary and not taking any salary back?

I'm not saying that he's awful really, but if you have two better LDs you can't pay your third like that.

I suspect there's a team with less depth there who can use him. If they play a more conservative game that fits his skillset, and many teams do, all the better.

BarbaraAlphanse

Middle of December. That is when you will have a better idea of what teams are out of it for this year or starting to fall out of it. A team like Winnipeg is very interesting. Would be interested in any of Wheeler/Buff/Ladd. All big physical bodies that can grind an opposing team down in the post season. In Winnipeg they are "the guys" there. The leaders. Here they don't have to be "the guy" but a complimentary piece.

And no Staal is not waiving to go there. So Gorton will have to get creative in how he is going to add that one forward for the top 6 that we are missing to get us over the top.

They will have to determine if they're going to build around Staal or Skjei. And if they so desire, can trade one in a package for a top 6 forward.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
They will have to determine if they're going to build around Staal or Skjei. And if they so desire, can trade one in a package for a top 6 forward.

Can't afford to move Skjei for a forward and Staal will not fetch a top 6 player IMO.

That's fine by me. Sick of trying to be over the top, roll with what works and pray for health.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Well you completely ignored the end of my post stating Staal wont waive this year. I'm not sure why you cant wrap your head around that.

And they are not trading Skjei.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You said to WPG.

He is not going to waive anywhere.

Let's review the FACTS or what we know:

1- Staal was drafted by this team and has played his whole career here.

2- Staal knows he has been part of the core for awhile and is an assistant captain here.

3- NY is a great place to live and build a family. Staal just had a kid. Also not far from Thunder Bay, Ontario.

4- The team has continued to thrive each year.

5- He isn't young anymore. Why would he want to change his life style now, uprooting is family to a new location when he is comfortable here.

This isn't a video game. This is real life. These players have lives outside of hockey. IF Staal would even consider waiving, it would be in the offseason. And that is a big IF. Not happening in the middle of the season. It just wont. Not to mention how horrible it would be for the lockerroom when Gorton puts together a deal and Staal does not waive in the middle of a very successful season.

Noose18

Sep 17, 2010
Rauma
What about acquiring Jagr to help the top6 for the post-season?

UFA after this season and carries a caphit of 3,5M. If the Panthers are out of the playoff contention before deadline they would most likely try and gather as much of assets as they can with their upcoming UFAs Jagr and Campbell and maybe even Mitchell.

The Predators also have a need for LD if they part ways with Campbell/Mitchell by tdl or during offseason.
Therefore Staal makes sense for Panthers. Veteran LD to solidify their top4.
Staal/Kulikov-Ekblad
Staal/Kulikov-Gudbranson

The question though is that would Staal waive for FLA.

Staal for Jagr+

Kreider-Stepan-Jagr
Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Miller-Hayes-Stalberg
Lindberg-Moore-Fast
Stoll

McDonagh-Klein
Yandle-Girardi
Skjei-Boyle
McIlrath

If Skjei is not ready trade Etem for a stopgap LD for the cuprun.

:help:

BarbaraAlphanse

He is not going to waive anywhere.

Let's review the FACTS or what we know:

1- Staal was drafted by this team and has played his whole career here.

2- Staal knows he has been part of the core for awhile and is an assistant captain here.

3- NY is a great place to live and build a family. Staal just had a kid. Also not far from Thunder Bay, Ontario.

4- The team has continued to thrive each year.

5- He isn't young anymore. Why would he want to change his life style now, uprooting is family to a new location when he is comfortable here.

This isn't a video game. This is real life. These players have lives outside of hockey. IF Staal would even consider waiving, it would be in the offseason. And that is a big IF. Not happening in the middle of the season. It just wont. Not to mention how horrible it would be for the lockerroom when Gorton puts together a deal and Staal does not waive in the middle of a very successful season.

There is a relationship between a team and a player. If staal is playing poorly, and they have a more cost effective player who can potentially play better ready to sub in for him, then Staal would not fit the Rangers need.

Then, the NMC would act as leverage to choose where he wanted to go.

It's not just about the player.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Staal for Jagr? Please thay can't be a serious thought.

And Staal isn't doing the Rangers a favor. He fought hard for his NMC just a year ago. Not fitting the Rangers needs? Disagree. He would fit perfectly fine if his salary was a 1-1.5 million less. A big defensive stay-at-home defenseman with a long reach who has been able to move the puck up ice at times. And even if he really didnt fit the rangers needs, that doesnt matter to Staal who has full control.

How many more times does this need to be explained?

BarbaraAlphanse

And Staal isn't doing the Rangers a favor. He fought hard for his NMC just a year ago. Not fitting the Rangers needs? Disagree. He would fit perfectly fine if his salary was a 1-1.5 million less. A big defensive stay-at-home defenseman with a long reach who has been able to move the puck up ice at times. And even if he really didnt fit the rangers needs, that doesnt matter to Staal who has full control.

He is currently one of their 2 worst defenders this year. Along with his partner, Boyle.

You use the term veteran as if it guarantees that an established player will play better than a rookie or 2nd year player under any circumstance.

He is being paid the most amount of money and is performing at the bottom of our defenders.

Why is this confusing. Under any work environment that's a red flag. People that are overpaid for their production tend to be let go.

I'm not saying he will absolutely be open to waiving his NMC. But it isn't prohibitive enough as you make it. Difficult to work around? Absolutely. Maybe this is a discussion for the offseason where if they felt they wanted to move away with him he could prepare his other life affairs accordingly.

But seeing as this is a trade thread... I'm suggesting him as he is one of the pieces this team should look to upgrade.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I wouldn't mind him. For Staal? I'd riot. For a 4th or 3rd? Welcome back.

Well that is the idea kj. I just dont see the Rangers moving, or attempting to move, Girardi or Staal this year. Nor will they move Yandle even if they dont think they can sign him. I think they keep the roster in tact to make another deep run.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He is currently one of their 2 worst defenders this year. Along with his partner, Boyle.
Currently is the operative term. History tells you that he will improve. He is quite a bit younger than Boyle so the chances of a rebound are pretty good.
You use the term veteran as if it guarantees that an established player will play better than a rookie or 2nd year player under any circumstance.
There is no guarantee, but history tells you that a vet is much more likely to have a solid year than a rookie.
He is being paid the most amount of money and is performing at the bottom of our defenders.
Again, currently.
Why is this confusing. Under any work environment that's a red flag. People that are overpaid for their production tend to be let go.
Usually, that is not decided in a 6 week period of performance.
I'm not saying he will absolutely be open to waiving his NMC. But it isn't prohibitive enough as you make it. Difficult to work around? Absolutely. Maybe this is a discussion for the offseason where if they felt they wanted to move away with him he could prepare his other life affairs accordingly.
How is it not prohibitive, if he does not waive it? Also, what if he likes exactly where he is and does not feel like "preparing his other life affairs"?
But seeing as this is a trade thread... I'm suggesting him as he is one of the pieces this team should look to upgrade.
Again, if he is (and has been) as bad as you make him out to be, then how are you trading him (not to mention his NMC & salary)? Then how are you subtracting him and not taking on salary in return?

BarbaraAlphanse

Currently is the operative term. History tells you that he will improve. He is quite a bit younger than Boyle so the chances of a rebound are pretty good.

There is no guarantee, but history tells you that a vet is much more likely to have a solid year than a rookie.

Again, currently.

Usually, that is not decided in a 6 week period of performance.

How is it not prohibitive, if he does not waive it? Also, what if he likes exactly where he is and does not feel like "preparing his other life affairs"?

Again, if he is (and has been) as bad as you make him out to be, then how are you trading him (not to mention his NMC & salary)? Then how are you subtracting him and not taking on salary in return?

Everything you say is true. I'm not disagreeing. I'm projecting this level of play out to February... So that would be 4 months. I could be projecting wrong while I should be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Re: prohibitive. RGY raises that to mean impossible. I'm saying it will be difficult but not impossible.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
its been a while since Staal was a dominant defenseman. everything just looks slower with him.

im not sure if its him, or the team just getting faster around him...

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

I think when players that have NMC's and NTC's stop getting traded, that is probably when the proposals will stop coming in.

However, until that day comes, the proposals will continue.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
as it partains to NMC's and NTC's, I think if any front office sat down with a player that had one and explained to him that the player was no longer in their plans and advised that player that they have had inquiries in to the players availability, would he consider waiving the clause.

I think if treated fairly in that regards, any player would consider it knowing the minutes and role were going to be reduced and or eliminated.

The problem as I see it with Staal specifically and Girardi to a lesser extent, is if that were the case, then the team shouldn't have extended him less than 12 months ago which for Staal is a fair point which is why I believe there's not a snow-ball's chance in hell he gets moved this season or next.

We can want to move anyone we want, but when was the last time the Rangers signed pending UFA's only to trade them?

To me, it's not a matter of the clauses being so prohibitive that teams can't move players, we all know they are not. In my opinion, it's a matter of organizational position. The NYR Management, to me, has always tried to treat their players right. Often times going above and beyond. What kind of message does it send (even if no one listens) that we would do that.

We're not the Flyers. Let them make a mockery of the contractual process.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Jagr might be ok to start the post season but making it to the finals who knows if they're will be any gas left in that tank. Easy pass

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
I'm sure some will disagree with me but I wouldn't even be concerned with the return for Staal. Clear that money and resign Yandle with it. Anything else is gravy IMO.

This!!! Seriously if there is a team that will take him, i dont care what we get back. We free up almost 6 million dollars. Thats a win by itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad