Speculation: New York Rangers 2015-16 Roster Building Thread Part XXV ‎- MOaR StufF HappENs NoW?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Here's a crazy one. If Raanta keeps playing well and there is a team out there with a goalie injury, could the Rangers arrange a sign and trade towards the trade deadline with that team, return a draft pick and bring up Desjardins or Hellberg on a rotating basis to be the back-up?

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Here's a crazy one. If Raanta keeps playing well and there is a team out there with a goalie injury, could the Rangers arrange a sign and trade towards the trade deadline with that team, return a draft pick and bring up Desjardins or Hellberg on a rotating basis to be the back-up?

this is interesting... there are a few teams out there that would probably bite. some of these poor suckers are desperate for goaltending.. thank goodness for hank

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
viper to continue your last post I'm assuming the hope would be to fill those rolls internally and save the cap space. even if we sheltered Mcilrath and Skjei it could work

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
viper to continue your last post I'm assuming the hope would be to fill those rolls internally and save the cap space. even if we sheltered Mcilrath and Skjei it could work

Most teams like to have at least 5 guys who could step up and play bigger minutes if need be. If the Rangers had McDonagh, Yandle and Klein and then McIlrath and Skjei as rookies + a depth guy what would happen if/when one of those (3) anchors gets hurt?

Depth is key.

BarbaraAlphanse

That's steep. Would have said "let's discuss Huberdeau who is being a contractually pain in your ass at the moment"...

Would have sent talbot and more for that. Seemed like they really valued Cam.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
That's steep. Would have said "let's discuss Huberdeau who is being a contractually pain in your ass at the moment"...

Would have sent talbot and more for that. Seemed like they really valued Cam.

And you would have overplayed your hand with Talbot like Sather did.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
That's... regrettable. Yeah it would have been a tough fit cap-wise, but for a win-now team Hayes would have done a lot more for us than those picks.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
We had to trade Hagelin. Whatever Tallon might have thought, I doubt there was a real deal on the table.

Im sure the Rangers would have rather kept Hagelin even over trading for Hayes.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
Why did Florida want Talbot in the first place? Did they have a deal for Luongo with somebody else? It's strange if Tallon wanted them to share the net.

The tweet is confusing, but it seems like the picks would be going to Florida. If the deal was something like Hayes for Talbot + 2nd + 3rd, I can see why Sather would be hesitant to pull the trigger.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Why did Florida want Talbot in the first place? Did they have a deal for Luongo with somebody else? It's strange if Tallon wanted them to share the net.

The tweet is confusing, but it seems like the picks would be going to Florida. If the deal was something like Hayes for Talbot + 2nd + 3rd, I can see why Sather would be hesitant to pull the trigger.

Florida was looking for the goalie to replace Luongo and take some starts from him. He's 36.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
There's no way Florida was actually going to trade Huberdeau. Hayes was the guy that was on the block.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
Florida was looking for the goalie to replace Luongo and take some starts from him. He's 36.

But Luongo is under contract until 2022. Has he hinted at retirement?

Talbot will be getting a UFA contact after this season. Would he even want to stay on a team where he's just getting some starts or even splitting time with Luongo? Was Tallon planning on having 2 goalies with starter contracts?

I'm throwing these questions out there, because I wonder how much value Florida put on Talbot. If they saw him as a glorified back-up / maybe starter, then the picks going their way for Hayes would've been significant.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Jimmy Hayes only makes $2.3M for the next 3 years...

That's about half of what Hags got on his contract, and twice the cap hit of Etem ...

Idk.... If it was like Hagelin + Talbot for Hayes and a 4th I would absolutely have done it. That there seems to make it look like it was going to be Hayes for Talbot + picks...

Really makes me wonder what the actual proposed trade was because the bruins sent savards contract + Reilly Smith for Hayes... Hardly a desirable trade in my opinion.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
Boston gave Hayes a $2.3 mill. cap hit.

We'd have to subtract Stalberg + Stoll or Etem to come up with $1.9 / 1.95 mill. Finding someone to take Glass in the summer would've eliminated the $500 K penalty and covered Hayes' cap hit.

Tight fit without trading Glass. I wonder if Sather insisted on Florida taking him.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I would think that the picks would be coming from us in a J. Hayes for Talbot deal. We already had a small amount of picks as it was to do a trade like that. And we don't know which picks Florida was asking for.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
Jimmy Hayes only makes $2.3M for the next 3 years...

That's about half of what Hags got on his contract, and twice the cap hit of Etem ...

Idk.... If it was like Hagelin + Talbot for Hayes and a 4th I would absolutely have done it. That there seems to make it look like it was going to be Hayes for Talbot + picks...

Really makes me wonder what the actual proposed trade was because the bruins sent savards contract + Reilly Smith for Hayes... Hardly a desirable trade in my opinion.

Etem is at $850 K this year. Not to nitpick, but a 1/3 of Hayes' cap hit.

Savard's contract doesn't affect Florida. No actual money involved and he's on LTIR if Florida ever spends to cap ceiling.

I was underwhelmed by the draft day trades, so the Hayes opportunity sounds interesting. The key is knowing the picks involved. It's impossible to evaluate without knowing which picks Florida wanted in addition to Talbot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad