New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Anyone have some good first date ideas in the Village? I tried checking reservations for Minetta Tavern and none of the times work.

I’m a bit ashamed I waited so long to book a reservation.

Pommes Frites is an awesome place, but I don’t wanna seem cheap by getting her just French fries, as awesome as they are.

Last edited:

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Anyone have some good first date ideas in the Village? I tried checking reservations for Minetta Tavern and none of the times work.

Pommes Frites is an awesome place, but I don’t wanna seem cheap by getting her just French fries, as awesome as they are.

Down the Hatch for wings? Kidding.

I know it's not very formal, but the Corner Bistro is a good spot. If she's a cool chick & likes a casual vibe, it was always a solid choice.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

I know it's not very formal, but the Corner Bistro is a good spot. If she's a cool chick & likes a casual vibe, it was always a solid choice.
This looks perfect.

I made a reservation at Boucherie West Village but I’m thinking a restaurant like that is a terrible idea for a first date, so I’ll probably cancel that.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
This looks perfect.

I made a reservation at Boucherie West Village but I’m thinking a restaurant like that is a terrible idea for a first date, so I’ll probably cancel that.

I learned a long time ago, always go casual dinner or just drinks on a first date. If you try to overly impress a chick, she'll expect that all the time & you can never live up to it. Plus if she just turns out to be a dinner whore (not talking about your chick), you spent all that cash for no reason.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I learned a long time ago, always go casual dinner or just drinks on a first date. If you try to overly impress a chick, she'll expect that all the time & you can never live up to it. Plus if she just turns out to be a dinner whore (not talking about your chick), you spent all that cash for no reason.
I’ve been talking to her for about a week, we just haven’t met in person yet, so I don’t think she’d be a dinner whore (that’s a great term, I may steal that) because she doesn’t even know where we’re going. I just asked her if she’d be down for a few drinks and a bite to eat in the Village and left it as vague as that.

But yeah, I’m not really much of a talkative person and pretty introverted, so Corner Bistro makes more sense, and I’ll get some drinks in which should loosen me up.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I’ve been talking to her for about a week, we just haven’t met in person yet, so I don’t think she’d be a dinner whore (that’s a great term, I may steal that) because she doesn’t even know where we’re going. I just asked her if she’d be down for a few drinks and a bite to eat in the Village and left it as vague as that.

But yeah, I’m not really much of a talkative person and pretty introverted, so Corner Bistro makes more sense, and I’ll get some drinks in which should loosen me up.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Enjoy...hope it's a great nite.

Reactions: Kane One

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

I’ve been married since 2013, but I went on several early (even first) dates here:

Cafe Cortadito
(212) 614-3080
Google Maps

I don’t live in the area anymore. Honestly happy to see that this restaurant is still alive. The vaca frita…

Reactions: Kane One

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
A former friend of my wife would definitely qualify. Just wish I heard the term earlier. Sent it to my wife about the friend. She thinks it's great. Girl was broker than broke and had a list of guys she could hit up for a free dinner when she didn't have food in her apartment or $ for groceries. Was generally the last 3-4 days before payday for her.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Has anyone gone out in Manhattan recently? Headed to Jack Doyle's last weekend for the Italy-England game. About 100 or so people. They had 1 bartender, 1 waiter, 1 waitress. They were running around like nuts. Waitress said they just can't get people to work. Had 3 or 4 people in they had to fire for literally stealing.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020

Minetta is overkill for a first date IMO.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020

Three sheets for half off bar happy hour then over to Joes for a slice ? (kidding)

TheKing30

Nov 20, 2011
NJ
Has anyone gone out in Manhattan recently? Headed to Jack Doyle's last weekend for the Italy-England game. About 100 or so people. They had 1 bartender, 1 waiter, 1 waitress. They were running around like nuts. Waitress said they just can't get people to work. Had 3 or 4 people in they had to fire for literally stealing.

Have been out quite a bit recently haven't run into any of those issues. Went to Carraghers for a couple of the Euro games and then out at night in the east village, had the usual amount of staff pre pandemic imo

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

I'm a little late on this one and I hope the date was lovely, but I wanted to plug Lamia's Fish Market on 47 Avenue B. Don't be fooled by the name or the appearance. Once you step inside, the place is beautiful. You can get a whole ass lobster without breaking the bank.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I'm a little late on this one and I hope the date was lovely, but I wanted to plug Lamia's Fish Market on 47 Avenue B. Don't be fooled by the name or the appearance. Once you step inside, the place is beautiful. You can get a whole ass lobster without breaking the bank.

Going out down there tonight, always my favorite area to eat, can't beat alphabet city for great food. Awash USED to be good down there but they changed the way the operate for sure. That was a bummer, place used to be dynamite.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020

$29 for a whole lobster? Wow

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Rockland county stand up.

what was the name of the place that had slot car racing, hosted a ton of kids’ birthday parties in the mid 90s?

the track took up the entirety of the room, and I believe it was on the second floor of a plaza somewhere off rt 59

I want to say it was in nanuet but I could be way off

Reactions: Crease

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Rockland county stand up.

what was the name of the place that had slot car racing, hosted a ton of kids’ birthday parties in the mid 90s?

the track took up the entirety of the room, and I believe it was on the second floor of a plaza somewhere off rt 59

I want to say it was in nanuet but I could be way off

I think you are referring to the Autobahn Speedway in the Palisades Mall off rt 59.
Indoor Go-Kart Racing NY | 50 MPH Speeds | Safe, Kid Friendly, Family Fun

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I haven't been to Manhattan in 2 years now, the crime stats are insane, I just wonder if its even safe to walk around in Penn Station from things I've heard. People are getting killed every day.

As someone on the ground in NYC every day, it doesn't seem any more dangerous than ten years ago. Homelessness and sanitation seem worse--but not violence. Just my experience though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad