New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ

There have a more detailed look on the developer’s website that includes a practice court (I imagine practice rink as well for the Rangers). That alone should make a plan that MSG officials should ponder. The benefit for both Knicks/Rangers players not having to travel from Westchester to Manhattan for practices and games will be great. Also, can be used by community for tournaments and events. MSG will eventually have to be replaced, so any plan that has it close NY Penn Station is solid in my book.

PAU | A Miracle on 34th Street

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Building is about the future, not the past. New York will recover.

I agree that building is about the future, but I think it would be smart to put a hold on giant new office buildings until we figure out how many companies are going to move towards a more flexible working model.

As for the new stadium, as long as Dolan is paying for it himself and not leaning on the taxpayers, I'm all for it.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I agree that building is about the future, but I think it would be smart to put a hold on giant new office buildings until we figure out how many companies are going to move towards a more flexible working model.

As for the new stadium, as long as Dolan is paying for it himself and not leaning on the taxpayers, I'm all for it.

This project is not happening tomorrow--it will 3-5 years just getting it going (don't know if there are any financial backs at this point). The project is just a dream right now.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I just watched 21 Bridges and want to know on a scale of 1-10 how good was Sienna Miller’s accent?

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Yup. Going to look at ticket prices. Be interesting to see if they are sky high or made more affordable.
The market will decide, they already have a dynamic pricing mechanism on ticketmaster

My guess is same market prices as 2019 pre-pandemic. At 100% I would expect lower prices

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Amtrak I believe owns everything below ground. Ground and up is all owned by MSG to my knowledge.

Correct.

The site was originally owned by the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR). The jet plane killed long distance travel. The interstates killed short distance travel. The PRR was hemorrhaging cash after the second world war. They were looking to make more money out of their two city blocks.

They sold, what I believe was a 10-year option to develop air rights in 1952. Later in the 50's the option was executed, just around the time that MSG was looking for a new home. The air rights were sold to the Garden. It's essentially private property.

If Government wants to take it via eminent domain, they need to pay the owners of the Garden fair market value, and provide them a similar site, prepared and ready for construction of a new Garden. The quoted article for moving the Garden one avenue east to land currently occupied by the Pennsyvania Hotel (whose phone number still is PEnnsylvania 6-5000), the old Gimbels and EJ Korvettes is a pipe dream. There are better things to spend taxpayer money on, such as expanding the number of tracks in Penn Station, and adding tunnels under the Hudson.

I did walk through the new Farley / Moynahan train shed a few weeks ago. It looks nice, but it's many blocks from a majority of the subway lines serving Penn, so I wonder how much congestion it will actually relieve.

The new entrance to Penn's LIRR concourse, from 33rd and 7th, is open. All the shops on the LIRR concourse are shuttered except for the Sushi place and Starbucks. There is no place to grab anything to go on the LIRR level. No Shake Shack. No LeBon Cafe. No Rose's (both of them). No Moe's. No Mr. Smoothie. I forgot the name of the bakery cafe between the Rose's... Looks like everything downstairs s is getting a makeover. I had to get my train beer at the Duane Reade on street level. (I didn't go visit the Amtrak level.)

Reactions: Boris Zubov

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Does he own the land under MSG? Don't think so. Does he own the air rights above it? Don't know--but doubt it.

Dolan should have taken the deal to put MSG behind the Moynihan Train Hall.
Are you referring to the Farley building on 8th? If so, reports were Dolan was willing to do something there and vacate current MSG. However, politicians dragged their feet, dragged their feet, and then dragged their feet some more. Dolan finally said, "screw it, I am just renovating." Then Christine Quinn brought up "returning Penn Station to it's former glory."

Reactions: egelband

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

Who is buying the current arena from him or is he just supposed to donate it back to the city and pay for a new arena?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
EzQycMqVkAgZbgd

I saw a rabbit in Central Park today

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Hey guys, looking for info on rec leagues around the city. I used to play in one before moving here, but that was 6 years ago, so definitely looking for something more casual. I am in Williamsburg, but open to hearing about any options around the city. Any info you guys can give is greatly appreciated!

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
Hey guys, looking for info on rec leagues around the city. I used to play in one before moving here, but that was 6 years ago, so definitely looking for something more casual. I am in Williamsburg, but open to hearing about any options around the city. Any info you guys can give is greatly appreciated!
Chelsea Piers or City Ice in Queens

Reactions: UConn126

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm going to try and come up with a list of free or low-cost things to do this summer.

Not just because I'm poor but because I believe the best way to enjoy a city is naturally.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I'm going to try and come up with a list of free or low-cost things to do this summer.

Not just because I'm poor but because I believe the best way to enjoy a city is naturally.

Living at the Cloisters is the best. Walking around here is one of my favorite city experiences and I've been frequenting or living in Manhattan since I was like 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad