New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Living at the Cloisters is the best. Walking around here is one of my favorite city experiences and I've been frequenting or living in Manhattan since I was like 12.

Whenever I think of the Cloisters I think of this scene:

3c9d7d8b-de06-4229-aeeb-e0520067857d_text.gif

HabsInsideOut

Sep 20, 2008
Montreal
Hi guys,

Habs fan coming in peace. Been living in the city for about 6 months now and wondered where you think the best bars to watch the playoffs are? Google/reddit aren't overly helpful and I've been to Kelly's a few times but it's a bit of a dive. Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: fm

Deleted member 23124

Living at the Cloisters is the best. Walking around here is one of my favorite city experiences and I've been frequenting or living in Manhattan since I was like 12.
I was born and raised here in NY and I've only been to the Cloisters once -- and I barely remember the visit. I do recall a number visits to Ft. Tryon Park. A shame since I grew up and live in the general area.

Reactions: Rongomania

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I was born and raised here in NY and I've only been to the Cloisters once -- and I barely remember the visit. I do recall a number visits to Ft. Tryon Park. A shame since I grew up and live in the general area.
I'm born and raised in queens and if I did go it was on a school field trip that I don't remember (what a long bus ride that would be). I've been meaning to go but never got around to it.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Cloisters are a great place to spend an afternoon at.

I'm born and raised in queens and if I did go it was on a school field trip that I don't remember (what a long bus ride that would be). I've been meaning to go but never got around to it.

My favorite place to live. I don't care that all of my friends from below 14th St. & BK treat this place like it's 8,000 miles away.

I think about moving downtown and BK and then I walk around here and I go "Nah."

Reactions: GoAwayGiannone

Deleted member 23124

My favorite place to live. I don't care that all of my friends from below 14th St. & BK treat this place like it's 8,000 miles away.

I think about moving downtown and BK and then I walk around here and I go "Nah."
I would never live below 14th Street...especially "back in the day" -- closest I got was 24th & 9th in Chelsea.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I would never live below 14th Street...especially "back in the day" -- closest I got was 24th & 9th in Chelsea.

Oh man, I met a cop from the sixties one time and he was looking up and down like E6th street in a very nostalgic way, he turns to me and says: "40 years ago, it was buckets-a-blood down here.."

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Hi guys,

Habs fan coming in peace. Been living in the city for about 6 months now and wondered where you think the best bars to watch the playoffs are? Google/reddit aren't overly helpful and I've been to Kelly's a few times but it's a bit of a dive. Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance!
Where do you live?

I watched the entire 2014 playoffs at Windy City Ale House in Brooklyn. Yes, based on the name it’s Chicago sports-themed but it’s a great place.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So, I want to take advantage of my new found freedom, especially this summer. Plus I have some close friends who are leaving the city. So I'm looking for meetups and other opportunities to participate in activities and meet people. I went on meetup.com and found this place. Any other suggestions?

Home - New York Social Network

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I don’t know if any of you are in industries even remotely related, but I figured I’d throw it out here since I’m networking and searching everywhere else:

I separated from the military a little over a year ago. I struggled to find a good landing spot as it’s not as easy to translate military experience over the civilian sector as one might expect; you may be a capable “project manager” but if the military didn’t use Jira and other Atlassian software (often the case with the military as we develop our own platforms in house for use on secure networks) or you don’t have a PM certification (because the military works off of rank, etc) then it’s still difficult to get employers to see you as qualified.

At the start of the year I decided to get certified in UX/UI and interaction design. I graduated from the General Assembly boot camp a while back and have had one freelance contract, doing a fully responsive platform for Sports Dissected which is now in the devs hands and should be launching soon. I’m currently taking a Udemy coding class and trying to get a proper PM certification through Coursera.

The job search sucks though. Honestly. It’s very hard to get an employer to take a chance on a true entry level candidate and everyone wants 3-5 years of experience. If anyone is in the industry or knows anyone in the industry and may have a role for a hard working guy with a military work ethic and who is willing to go above and beyond to find their start, even if it’s a humble one, I’m more than happy to relocate back to the east coast.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I don’t know if any of you are in industries even remotely related, but I figured I’d throw it out here since I’m networking and searching everywhere else:

I separated from the military a little over a year ago. I struggled to find a good landing spot as it’s not as easy to translate military experience over the civilian sector as one might expect; you may be a capable “project manager” but if the military didn’t use Jira and other Atlassian software (often the case with the military as we develop our own platforms in house for use on secure networks) or you don’t have a PM certification (because the military works off of rank, etc) then it’s still difficult to get employers to see you as qualified.

At the start of the year I decided to get certified in UX/UI and interaction design. I graduated from the General Assembly boot camp a while back and have had one freelance contract, doing a fully responsive platform for Sports Dissected which is now in the devs hands and should be launching soon. I’m currently taking a Udemy coding class and trying to get a proper PM certification through Coursera.

The job search sucks though. Honestly. It’s very hard to get an employer to take a chance on a true entry level candidate and everyone wants 3-5 years of experience. If anyone is in the industry or knows anyone in the industry and may have a role for a hard working guy with a military work ethic and who is willing to go above and beyond to find their start, even if it’s a humble one, I’m more than happy to relocate back to the east coast.
Check out FDM. The pay sucks balls for the first two years, but after the contract is up, you’ll be golden. They also do a lot for vets so you should have no trouble.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
Good to see the city really starting to rebound. I've been going into the office a few days a week and each day when i walk home the bars/restaurants are more and more crowded

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
My family of four with a 7 and 9 year old love traveling to NYC, and haven't been there since the pandemic started, but typically visit 1-3 times a year. We booked a hotel from 6/25-6/27. And our plan is basically to just walk around the city, visit different parks, and eat lots of food, but basically playing it by ear. I was recently told that many areas of NYC are unsafe and to specifically avoid the subways. Between that and reading about what is going on at Washington Square Park, I thought I should reach out here to find out if there is anything I should be aware of before making the trip. We love walking around the city, and typically avoid subways unless someone is totally exhausted. So no real loss there. We usually drive to Jersey City and take the train over from there, but now planning on driving to Hamilton and taking the train from there instead.

So my questions are mostly safety related. We love walking around the city at night, she we be consider a curfew? Are there any areas to avoid? Is our plan of taking the train from Hamilton a good one? But also curious if anyone has some good activities for kids that are currently open?

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
My family of four with a 7 and 9 year old love traveling to NYC, and haven't been there since the pandemic started, but typically visit 1-3 times a year. We booked a hotel from 6/25-6/27. And our plan is basically to just walk around the city, visit different parks, and eat lots of food, but basically playing it by ear. I was recently told that many areas of NYC are unsafe and to specifically avoid the subways. Between that and reading about what is going on at Washington Square Park, I thought I should reach out here to find out if there is anything I should be aware of before making the trip. We love walking around the city, and typically avoid subways unless someone is totally exhausted. So no real loss there. We usually drive to Jersey City and take the train over from there, but now planning on driving to Hamilton and taking the train from there instead.

So my questions are mostly safety related. We love walking around the city at night, she we be consider a curfew? Are there any areas to avoid? Is our plan of taking the train from Hamilton a good one? But also curious if anyone has some good activities for kids that are currently open?

If you're in a group and you're smart you should be fine, the city is much more crowded on the weekends compared to the weekdays it seems like. I avoid union square and Washington square park in general because the freaks have always congregated there. Be smart waiting for your train back to NJ, use the new train hall if you have time but make sure you download the NJ transit departure vision app since they only post Amtrak and LIRR trains on the boards there.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm considering changing up the location for my birthday this year. Maybe somewhere with a backyard. I've been going to the Winslow but maybe some people would prefer being outside and it would be nice to change it up a bit. I think it'll be 10-15 people. Any suggestions?

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
I've been to Top of the Rock once, it was pretty incredible, I had no idea it existed some guy gave me a flyer for it in the streets and I went with a friend. Highly recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad