GDT: NEW YORK CASTAWAYS @ HEART OF THE STORM

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Watching the replay: necas almost goal from haula, WOW

kids gonna be good. Svech is gonna be good. We got good times ahead, boys. This is the start of our window.

Yes, and keep drafting well and not cheapen out to make the window Sharks-like or prime Red Wings-like.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
It's getting to the point where the defense just flips a switch and then no more shots for you. The net front presence is something I noticed a lot of since the start of the season. We're able to have much more dangerous shots because the goalie can't see and if a rebound comes we're right there to either put it in or take a great shot. It seems like it would be a fun job to stand in front of the goalie and just bang home rebounds but you probably get beat up pretty hard by the defensemen trying to move you. Finally f*** the Caps. They didn't do anything today, but just because.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
o5TSPaaf_bigger.jpg
Michael Smith‏Verified account @MSmithCanes 5h5 hours ago

Rod Brind'Amour:
"I just like the way the guys are coming to work every day.
The 5-0 is kind of irrelevant. We're trying to win the day."

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
You know things are going well when no one is talking about Aho. This team has so many more weapons with the addition of Dzingle, Necas and Haula. Then you factor in Hamilton and Pesce being next level right now, and Svech making a significant jump. Have to know the wall is coming in an 82 game season, but maybe that's when Aho has his break out.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I'll say it, Roddy is one of the best coaches in the league.
X and O stuff is what it is, as most coaches run very similar systems, but what separates Rod is his ability to get the guys to play for him. He must be very good at allowing guys to go out, play hard and make mistakes. Seems simple, but many coaches have an extremely low tolerance for guys making mistakes.
Having the best set of D in the NHL doesn't hurt either!

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
The net front presence is something I noticed a lot of since the start of the season. We're able to have much more dangerous shots because the goalie can't see and if a rebound comes we're right there to either put it in or take a great shot. It seems like it would be a fun job to stand in front of the goalie and just bang home rebounds but you probably get beat up pretty hard by the defensemen trying to move you. Finally **** the Caps. They didn't do anything today, but just because.

Not to defend BP but he (and we) regularly bitched about the lack of net front presence. Whether its RBA, the players or both the difference is striking.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
There isn’t anyone actually comparing this to Peters, is there?

Goaltenders.

Ward/Darling/?!?
Mrazek/Reimer/Mcbackup

If you think it’s coaching that’s changed the defense.....

We were considered an excellent defensive team before the changes. An excellent defensive team with poor goaltending and no offense. The changes are great, the team is better, we are winning. Good enough. Trying to poop on the past is petty and off base. Rod is doing the opposite of new style coaching. This isn’t brilliance, this is basic and fundamental with a lot of effort. I’ve said it last year, this is almost kids hockey under Rod. Don’t make bad decisions at the blue lines, get the puck deep, cycle till you find something, pressure the puck everywhere. We’ve tailored the players we acquire to fit it. It’s different in that it’s simple, but other teams don’t do it because they can’t get all 20 guys to play like that. Or can’t get the right players for it in the first place. That’s why we downgraded skill last year I bet to some extent. Set up the foundation then add skill to it.

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Pesce said the same in his postgame interview. It’s clearly something he appreciates.

I think it's speed and teamwork.

Not everyone has forwards that will bust their ass to get back when a d-man makes a mistake, and not everyone has forwards with the speed to actually get back.

It's really impressive to watch.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
There isn’t anyone actually comparing this to Peters, is there?

Goaltenders.

Ward/Darling/?!?
Mrazek/Reimer/Mcbackup

If you think it’s coaching that’s changed the defense.....

We were considered an excellent defensive team before the changes. An excellent defensive team with poor goaltending and no offense. The changes are great, the team is better, we are winning. Good enough. Trying to poop on the past is petty and off base. Rod is doing the opposite of new style coaching. This isn’t brilliance, this is basic and fundamental with a lot of effort. I’ve said it last year, this is almost kids hockey under Rod. Don’t make bad decisions at the blue lines, get the puck deep, cycle till you find something, pressure the puck everywhere. We’ve tailored the players we acquire to fit it. It’s different in that it’s simple, but other teams don’t do it because they can’t get all 20 guys to play like that. Or can’t get the right players for it in the first place. That’s why we downgraded skill last year I bet to some extent. Set up the foundation then add skill to it.

View media item 6235

NOTE: This is mostly a joke as Darling and Ward were trash goalies. But they are all scrap heap junk, so not that far off.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Hank, bleed, spot on as always. Seems to me that Brind'Amour's greatest strength is as a motivator, not a tactician- but he doesnt have to be a master strategist if his group of players truly is bought in to hustle every play of every game, commit to defense, stick up for each other, etc.

This isnt me saying hes a BAD x and o coach, just that I dont think its the main factor at play here

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I mean, there's only so fancy you can get. It's a game of controlled chaos.

Set plays off draws, power play shape, line matching, basic decisions about forecheck pressure, etc. Those are not inconsequential, but it's not like football, where every single play is a detailed study.

If you've got the speed and skill, it makes so many of these tactics simpler, I think. You've got speed and skill, so put guys in place to use it. When a guy jumps in, make sure you know who needs to hang back. Hound the puck. Take away the slot and the passing lanes. It's all basic stuff if you have the guys to do it.

I think the less skill you have, the more you have to adhere to a rigid game plan of "Xs and Os" to give yourself a chance. We were that kind of team for years... and now, we're not.

toastmasterbone

Mar 14, 2013
mebbin
Most telling to me is the ease of our zone entries. I'm not going to lay the blame on Faulk, but that habitual I'm-going-to-bamboozle-them-with-a-stretch-drop-pass thing isn't exactly missed. Now, it's like a wave of alpha males trotting into the Pretty Puppy Grooming Salon. Everyone backs the f*** off.

Also, what's with Svech getting into after-whistle melees? Did he take boxing lessons in the off-season that he's itching to showcase?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Most telling to me is the ease of our zone entries. I'm not going to lay the blame on Faulk, but that habitual I'm-going-to-bamboozle-them-with-a-stretch-drop-pass thing isn't exactly missed. Now, it's like a wave of alpha males trotting into the Pretty Puppy Grooming Salon. Everyone backs the f*** off.

Also, what's with Svech getting into after-whistle melees? Did he take boxing lessons in the off-season that he's itching to showcase?
As much as I appreciate the work Faulk did over the years there’s definitely some addition by subtraction going on. Not just the pp, the effect of adding Gardiner and the pairings becoming clear has helped the zone exits which helps the zone entries on the other side. We just flow better. It wasn’t Faulk’s forte. Definitely not just him, and the new third line absolutely helps. There’s just a bit of a difference there.

The difference in the D on the pp speaks for itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad