GDT: NEW YORK CASTAWAYS @ HEART OF THE STORM

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Svech's grind game reminds me of Crosby. He's going to be un****ingstoppable in the corners once he gets another 10 pounds on him.

Exactly my thoughts. As of now he's falling all over the place but still manages to be quite effective. Imagine when he matures a bit!

Reactions: tarheelhockey

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
As much as I appreciate the work Faulk did over the years there’s definitely some addition by subtraction going on. Not just the pp, the effect of adding Gardiner and the pairings becoming clear has helped the zone exits which helps the zone entries on the other side. We just flow better. It wasn’t Faulk’s forte. Definitely not just him, and the new third line absolutely helps. There’s just a bit of a difference there.

The difference in the D on the pp speaks for itself.

Gardiner is so much smoother. I love him.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I just read the Isles had 4 SOG in the final 36 minutes.

Currently watching First Blood, FYI - **** Brian Dennehey

They had ~15 shots when they tied it at 2, then finished the game with 19.

I can’t even think of anything funny to say, that’s just absurd.

With the level of shot suppression we’ve got, we could legitimately make the playoffs with a goalie that has a sub .900 save percentage.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Most telling to me is the ease of our zone entries. I'm not going to lay the blame on Faulk, but that habitual I'm-going-to-bamboozle-them-with-a-stretch-drop-pass thing isn't exactly missed. Now, it's like a wave of alpha males trotting into the Pretty Puppy Grooming Salon. Everyone backs the f*** off.

Also, what's with Svech getting into after-whistle melees? Did he take boxing lessons in the off-season that he's itching to showcase?

This may have already been mentioned, Svech did indeed take boxing lessons in Russia this summer.

Tryamw

Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
WORKING ON IT.
It'll be a thing of Beauty... Carefully carved from the internet leaving open the calm collected soul of a wrong soul and entrapped into a snare of vengeance. No this is no work of a hothead running stupidly into the bowls but a cool hardened individual looking to show us his feeling through his work. there is room for passion but not idiocy.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
It'll be a thing of Beauty... Carefully carved from the internet leaving open the calm collected soul of a wrong soul and entrapped into a snare of vengeance. No this is no work of a hothead running stupidly into the bowls but a cool hardened individual looking to show us his feeling through his work. there is room for passion but not idiocy.

I am trying to remain original. I don't want to repeat myself. But each game creates new situation and opportunity.

And whenever I realize all THE WRONGS OF PAST AND PRESENT OF OUR WORLD I MUST REMEMBER ALL THOSE WHO ROSE TO FIGHT THEM. THOSE WHO FOUGHT FOR FREEDOM. WHETHER IT WAS IN THE ANCIENT TIMES OR THE RECENT ONES.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
As much as I appreciate the work Faulk did over the years there’s definitely some addition by subtraction going on. Not just the pp, the effect of adding Gardiner and the pairings becoming clear has helped the zone exits which helps the zone entries on the other side. We just flow better. It wasn’t Faulk’s forte. Definitely not just him, and the new third line absolutely helps. There’s just a bit of a difference there.

The difference in the D on the pp speaks for itself.

That wasn't just Faulk, though, at least while Peters was here. The entire team was doing it for a long time because it was part of Peters's system. Which goes to an issue with coaching- he had his system and forced players to try and reinvent their game to fit it. Which led to a lot of awkward fits and a lot of tension when players- like Skinner- were far more effective when they ignored what their coach told them to do and played the game that brought them to the NHL in the first place.

One of Brind'Amour's great strengths is that he does not overcoach. He tries to keep players on the same page and communicating with each other, making sure that assignments don't get missed and all that, and emphasizes a certain style of upbeat, forchecking heavy, high energy play- but he trusts players to use their skills and instincts. He seems like he's happy to teach players and work to correct instincts that he doesn't like, but he doesn't try to hammer square pegs into round holes constantly.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I still think brindy under sells his Xs and Os. Pesce said in the civian article, for example, nobody has ever given him that much freedom.

The results are too out of whack to just be "trying harder", I think.

I think Rod has pretty clearly patterned the style of game he wants after Laviolette. To some extent that kind of game demands "try harder" by necessity because every single skater (and I can't really think of anybody who doesn't qualify) is playing a full 200 foot game. That will get you places but the legs have to be there.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That wasn't just Faulk, though, at least while Peters was here. The entire team was doing it for a long time because it was part of Peters's system. Which goes to an issue with coaching- he had his system and forced players to try and reinvent their game to fit it. Which led to a lot of awkward fits and a lot of tension when players- like Skinner- were far more effective when they ignored what their coach told them to do and played the game that brought them to the NHL in the first place.

One of Brind'Amour's great strengths is that he does not overcoach. He tries to keep players on the same page and communicating with each other, making sure that assignments don't get missed and all that, and emphasizes a certain style of upbeat, forchecking heavy, high energy play- but he trusts players to use their skills and instincts. He seems like he's happy to teach players and work to correct instincts that he doesn't like, but he doesn't try to hammer square pegs into round holes constantly.
Slavin, Pesce, Liles, Hainsey amongst others worked great in Peters system. It was tailor made for Slavin and Pesce, they greatly succeeded in it. Honestly I don’t think Slavin has looked as good under Rod though that could easily be the forced relationship with Hamilton.

Under Peters “forced” and “awkward” system Pesce and Slavin were over +20 when the rest of the team was minus.

In fact the structure of Peters system was the best thing about our defense during his time. Faulk and Skinner were the only guys on the team ever remotely struggled with it. It’s funny to me when people criticize it, especially in terms of defense. Our defense was a piping hot mess all season last year without the structure. Part of that may have been the pairings and the awkward Slavin/Hamilton thing. I get people thinking the offense was too structured under Peters, I don’t agree to be honest but if anything was stiff it was that. Our defense under him was the best I’ve ever seen us including now. Now we’re built to spend as little time as possible there. Works too with the right personnel.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Pesce came right out and said that this is the most freedom he’s ever had from any coach, and that presumably means Peters as well so if you take him at his word, it’s clearly different than it was under Peters. Not saying that is good or bad, but it’s different.

Not sure I agree that our D was best ever under Peters. He kept Slavin and Pesce together and that pairing was awesome, but the rest was not so awesome.

I don’t think Peters was a bad coach though, but I think he sometimes tried pounding a square peg in a round hole, but part of that is He didn’t have enough talent.

In the end, I don’t care. What we have now is working and is fun to watch.

Reactions: cptjeff

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Pesce came right out and said that this is the most freedom he’s ever had from any coach, and that presumably means Peters as well so if you take him at his word, it’s clearly different than it was under Peters. Not saying that is good or bad, but it’s different.

Not sure I agree that our D was best ever under Peters. He kept Slavin and Pesce together and that pairing was awesome, but the rest was not so awesome.

I don’t think Peters was a bad coach though, but I think he sometimes tried pounding a square peg in a round hole, but part of that is He didn’t have enough talent.

In the end, I don’t care. What we have now is working and is fun to watch.
The same Pesce that asked for a trade last year? Why is that freedom better? I’m sure it’s fun. You’re right, it works right now. How does that freedom show itself in play? Defense was super aggressive and gapping up early in the neutral zone under Peters. That’s proactive and exciting, not stagnant, forced and awkward. They also as defenseman especially early in Peters time were given a huge green light to jump in the play. They were expected to. So what freedom are we talking about?

We were a meh team during Peters time, and that obviously had little to do with Peters vs the team he was given. Two years of which was flat out rebuild. Peters is obviously not a bad coach, quite the opposite. The negatively against him has always been a snipe hunt. We’re better because we’ve got better goaltending, the youngsters grew up some, we used the young assets we have to add vets. It’s over and we’ve moved on. Yet the snide comments and remarks that often don’t even make sense still continue. Rod isn’t a sneaky hockey genius, we play a simple style and work hard. Peters system would’ve worked great with this team too.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The same Pesce that asked for a trade last year?
Because he was on the 3rd pairing at the time with limited minutes/role. How is that even relevant?

Why is that freedom better?
Correct. I didn't say it was better, in fact, I said: "Not saying that is good or bad, but it’s different."

I’m sure it’s fun. You’re right, it works right now. How does that freedom show itself in play? Defense was super aggressive and gapping up early in the neutral zone under Peters. That’s proactive and exciting, not stagnant, forced and awkward. They also as defenseman especially early in Peters time were given a huge green light to jump in the play. They were expected to. So what freedom are we talking about?

I'm just going off what Pesce said. He said NO coach has ever given him this freedom. In the past, it's been "Jump into the play, but err on the side of caution". Again, not saying this is good or bad, but if I take him at his word (which is also what I said in my post), then I see a difference based on what he experienced in the past.

We were a meh team during Peters time, and that obviously had little to do with Peters vs the team he was given. Two years of which was flat out rebuild. Peters is obviously not a bad coach, quite the opposite. The negatively against him has always been a snipe hunt. We’re better because we’ve got better goaltending, the youngsters grew up some, we used the young assets we have to add vets. It’s over and we’ve moved on. Yet the snide comments and remarks that often don’t even make sense still continue. Rod isn’t a sneaky hockey genius, we play a simple style and work hard. Peters system would’ve worked great with this team too.

I clearly said Peter's wasn't a bad coach, so not sure why you are quoting me to comment about it. As much as other posters "snipe hunt" on Peters, you seem to do the opposite with this new management team. Every time someone praises them, you seem to go out of your way to tamp it down. I get it, it's balancing the overly negative view of the prior management group, but it's not any worse than the other side of the argument.

Anyhow, I wasn't posting my post to get into an argument, because I agree with a lot of what you post on this topic, just was surprised that my post elicited such a response.

Reactions: cptjeff

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Because he was on the 3rd pairing at the time with limited minutes/role. How is that even relevant?

Correct. I didn't say it was better, in fact, I said: "Not saying that is good or bad, but it’s different."

I'm just going off what Pesce said. He said NO coach has ever given him this freedom. In the past, it's been "Jump into the play, but err on the side of caution". Again, not saying this is good or bad, but if I take him at his word (which is also what I said in my post), then I see a difference based on what he experienced in the past.

I clearly said Peter's wasn't a bad coach, so not sure why you are quoting me to comment about it. As much as other posters "snipe hunt" on Peters, you seem to do the opposite with this new management team. Every time someone praises them, you seem to go out of your way to tamp it down. I get it, it's balancing the overly negative view of the prior management group, but it's not any worse than the other side of the argument.

Anyhow, I wasn't posting my post to get into an argument, because I agree with a lot of what you post on this topic, just was surprised that my post elicited such a response.
You’re saying what you’re saying in the context of a Peters as a bad coach conversation. Of course it’s going to lean that way regardless of whether or not Pesce meant him or not.

You may be reading more emotion than I’m actually having as well.

Guys who feel free and happy don’t ask for trades. Obviously he had a good second half, these things can change. That freedom he is referring to may be a fleeting thing.

To me it’s not an argument, it’s the same discussion we always have. I’m not angry I’m just counterpointing. I go the other way the same way I do whenever we go off the deep end in any direction, whether it be Faulk for the Norris or whatever the deep end is currently. If everyone just loved what was going on I’d hardly say a word but there always has to be disparaging remarks about others who worked hard and did well for this team in their time. We eat our own here. I tend to respond to that whether it’s Mcbain, JJ, Boychuk, Skinner or whoever.

I’ve fully acknowledged many times the team is on a great path and the new regime deserves credit so that comment is a little insulting.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
You’re saying what you’re saying in the context of a Peters as a bad coach conversation. Of course it’s going to lean that way regardless of whether or not Pesce meant him or not.

You may be reading more emotion than I’m actually having as well.

Guys who feel free and happy don’t ask for trades. Obviously he had a good second half, these things can change. That freedom he is referring to may be a fleeting thing.

To me it’s not an argument, it’s the same discussion we always have. I’m not angry I’m just counterpointing. I go the other way the same way I do whenever we go off the deep end in any direction, whether it be Faulk for the Norris or whatever the deep end is currently. If everyone just loved what was going on I’d hardly say a word but there always has to be disparaging remarks about others who worked hard and did well for this team in their time. We eat our own here. I tend to respond to that whether it’s Mcbain, JJ, Boychuk, Skinner or whoever.

I’ve fully acknowledged many times the team is on a great path and the new regime deserves credit so that comment is a little insulting.

I think you read more into my post than I intended so I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: Navin R Slavin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->