Salary Cap: New Salary Cap to Habs Advantage (Possible 81.5M for next 3 seasons)

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
How does this matter in the long run? I thought of the same thing given we aren't transmitting the flu considering we shouldn't be sharing anything. I think for a few years itll keep the numbers down for people transmitting the flu, but are their other benefits?

While I can name a few, I am not sure in the end any of it matters unless we get this economy rolling again anyways.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
We'll see, I think you make many assumptions wrong (not trying to thrash you either).

Base on the level of asymptomatic spread herd immunity will kick in without vaccine at some point faster than most think. For example, I'm waiting for the antibody test, I think I have had it. Many many did, starting in November. We need more facts about residual immunity, that's true.
With an R0 of 3, an herd immunity of around 50% is sufficient to reduce it around R0 of 1. Thus no longer "dangerous".
With any vaccine and sufficiently potent antiviral, the R0 will be under 1 and the virus will disappear rapidly.
Life will feel normal around a herd immunity of 50
Just like after SARS, things will regress to the mean quickly.

Companies or Billionaires: that's just a play on words, they are mostly the same thing. Quebecor vs. Peladeau. etc.
Sports teams are the toys of billionaires as they can use the losses to save on taxes! More losses = less taxes somewhere else.

Prediction: Next winter, the Flu will be the main killer again and its doesn't seem to be stopping anything.

I wish people treated the 'flu' on the same level as covid, in their daily lives. They spread it around without caring if it kills someone with a respiratory issue, etc. Maybe its a wakeup call for everyone.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Upper middle classes will find a job faster...they always do.

I work for many startups,

Startup A layoffs employee X
Startup B hires employee X the day after.

Developers, data scientists, growth, executives. This is what is happening in tech, because we need 1 000 000 more of these workers. It doesn't matter how bad is the economy...

I guess we’ll see.

But the estimates for job loss are bad.

The coronavirus economic freeze could cost 47 million jobs and send the unemployment rate past 32%, according to St. Louis Fed projections.

Coronavirus job losses could total 47 million, unemployment rate may hit 32%, Fed estimates

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Did I hear right the salary cap is going to stay at $83M did the next 3 years?

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

There is potential of that.

Sources have indicated that the CBA proposal includes a cap on escrow on a delinked flat cap expected to come in around $83 million for at least three seasons as the parties attempt to deal with the economic issues caused by the pandemic. That number could be subject to change. We are told that excess would roll over for the first two or three years but that a hard cap on escrow would be gradually introduced over the life of the extension.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/25/entire-union-will-vote-on-nhl-return-to-play-package-cba-extension/

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Yes. Taylor Hall probably should've taken the big money when he could. I can't see him getting huge money now.

Montreal is fine. A lot of teams won't be including Toronto, Edmonton, TB, and NYR.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The Habs should be looking at over 20M minus whatever Domi and Mete get since they are the only contracts they have to worry about. Granted that's with just 9 forwards plus Domi would make it 10. They will also need a backup goalie and I assume Romanov and Juulsen get 2 spots on defense.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
NHL/NHLPA talks on CBA include escrow cap, salary deferral for players - Sportsnet.ca

Its a possible situation which makes you wonder if teams will get a one time compliance buyout.

From what I've read a few times in the past couple of months on HF the compliance buyout option is a hard no from the owners according to reports from the NHL media guys like Friedman but we'll see.

Gonna be some interesting times ahead for teams up against the cap and the cap possibly staying a flat 81.5M for the next 3 seasons.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It will be interesting to see what happens in the off-season, if MB tries to bring in a big name player because of how much cap space we should have and he'll likely want to do something so that it will be easier to re-sign his big UFA class next summer cause if he does nothing and we miss the playoffs again you have to think some from that group will want to leave perhaps.

Or does he continue to look to the future and take on a bad contract for a good pick (though we already have 11 for the '21 draft but getting a good pick in '22 would be smart.

Or does he repeat and do nothing other then cheap band aids while we carry a lot of cap space once again.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Screen-Shot-2020-04-28-at-9.48.16-PM.png

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Habs will cap f*** themselves to keep Domi, Danault, Gallagher, Tatar and Petry. Will be nice to be to the cap with the same team that can't make the play-offs.
HFboards told me spending to the cap was an obligation even with a non-playoffs Frankestein abomination of a team

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Habs will cap f*** themselves to keep Domi, Danault, Gallagher, Tatar and Petry. Will be nice to be to the cap with the same team that can't make the play-offs.

This was a massive point to getting Weber . We had all these players on good contracts and traded for an aging #1 D-Man , we had to push our chips to the middle and MB will now be stuck with next summer of overpayment unless he can figure it out lol

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I think the bigger question from the player perspective is how big the escrow could look like. I think the salary cap figure is supposed to be the NHL's best estimation of revenues to be achieved, and right away, I'm asking the question of how they expect not to take a hit next year.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think the bigger question from the player perspective is how big the escrow could look like. I think the salary cap figure is supposed to be the NHL's best estimation of revenues to be achieved, and right away, I'm asking the question of how they expect not to take a hit next year.
Wasn't it talked about the next 3 years the cap would stay put, and the escrow would be worked in over those 3 years? I might have misunderstood.....not sure. Losing 550M this year, is going to be a bite, no matter how you look at it.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
HFboards told me spending to the cap was an obligation even with a non-playoffs Frankestein abomination of a team
Because saving up for years to give long term contracts to players we already have is the same as asking for management to spend to cap...with short term trade friendly deals.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
when this all said is done, the richer team will have a huge huge advatange, cap or not,
As many teams will have cash issues, not cap issues

Reactions: le_sean

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Getting close to the players voting on a CBA extension.

But the current CBA framework being discussed includes a cap on escrow at around 20% for the first two seasons of the deal. After that, it would revert to the traditional system on escrow, as the league's revenues are expected to be bolstered by a new U.S. broadcast rights contract and the expected windfall from the new team in Seattle, which some have projected to be a top-10 revenue team in the NHL.

Another reason escrow is expected to fall is that the NHL would freeze its salary cap for the next two seasons, at around $81.5 million. It would then potentially increase it by only $1 million in 2022-23, keeping new contracts under that ceiling.

One source on the players' side said the salary cap might not be linked back to revenue until near the end of the CBA. There's a theory that with the cap frozen and with additional revenue from the TV deal and the Seattle franchise, escrow could potentially dip into single digits for the players in a few years.

Sources: NHL, players close on new CBA deal

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Didn’t hear that but I’ve heard the 30% number in reference to escrow, not cap reduction. Mostly likely the cap will stay flat and the pa and nhl will negotiate a cap/escrow fix for this year and next as per Lebrun.

Friedman saying 20% cap on escrow for next yr. Cap stays flat for 2020-21 and 2021-22. 10% deferment of salary next yr (players will get this back). All of this is in the latest 31 thoughts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad