Salary Cap: New Salary Cap to Habs Advantage (Possible 81.5M for next 3 seasons)

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
There is no way 4 -6 teams survive this Covid situation. Lots of suspect ownership , zero gate revenue, and what will the fan capacity even be when the NHL is allowed to open its doors?

The cap will have to plummet to make ends meet. Wait till the big announcement in the US tomorrow, lets see how much the USD is devalued when the real numbers come out to reflect the covid shutdown. Corporations are going to have massive losses on the books, especially major sports sponsorships.

Tomorrow is freaking me out already, and I'm just a small investor in the US market, I couldn't imagine what the rest are on the brink of reporting.

Sorry, what specifically is being reported tomorrow? Out of the loop these days.

But yep. Long term this is going to be a disaster for the cap and the league. We will see how this affects the NHL longterm

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Alzner is the last of our concern. Our concern should be all of Petry, Danault, Gallagher and Tatar asking between 6.5 and 7 millions and honestly they would be dumb not to ask this amount. Maybe 1 or 2 of them will sign for 6 but i don't see any of them signing under 6. I hope we wont have a repeat of take it or leave it if you want loyalty buy a dog cause this time it will be even more awful than the first time.

buying out that last year gives them almost 2.4M more to sign those players. Of course what they ask for is the bigger issues, my point was just that Alzner could free up some additional cap space because we are going to need it.

As for their asks, it's hard to say as we need to see what others sign for next year and what the league is looking at in terms of fans or not for a full season.

I would assume someone gets traded if they ask too much, especially if they think Caufield can come in and fill a spot, although we would need to see where his game is at in 8-9 months.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
I honestly think our biggest issues longterm are Price and Weber. $10.5MM + $7.8MM = $18.5~ on the cap out of that fixed total is not great (not nearly as bad as say, Toronto though) but still who knows how long they will remain useful for?

I hope that Marc prioritizes finding room for our young guys going forward (Suzuki, KK, Caufield, Romanov, Norlinder...maybe Laff??) and that he is smart in managing who he actually needs to keep around next offseason.

I won’t hold my breathe

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I honestly think our biggest issues longterm are Price and Weber. $10.5MM + $7.8MM = $18.5~ on the cap out of that fixed total is not great (not nearly as bad as say, Toronto though) but still who knows how long they will remain useful for?

I hope that Marc prioritizes finding room for our young guys going forward (Suzuki, KK, Caufield, Romanov, Norlinder...maybe Laff??) and that he is smart in managing who he actually needs to keep around next offseason.

I won’t hold my breathe

I think you will always find a taker for Weber. He's still going to be good and the cap hit isn't crippling. Combine with the fact his actual salary goes down, it would just take a willing Habs GM that decides to pull the trigger.

Price is another story because of the NMC.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
So heading into 2021, the Habs have about $43M in cap space.

Price, Weber, Drouin, Byron, Chairot and Alzner the “significant” contracts remaining.

We’ll need to determine where the following end up by then:

Domi
Danault
Tatar
Gallagher
Armia
Petry
Kotkaniemi
Fleury

In 2022, assuming we spend the total $43M in 2021, means we’ll have $12M in space that summer. Free agents are:

Suzuki
Romanov
Primeau
Brook

I don’t think our 2022 contracts will be an issue but I think a smart play to turn this team into a competitive team now and not rely on rushing prospects is to focus on trying to get 2-3 year contracts in trades/free agency to patch up this team and see how far our young core takes us. But we should anticipate the team to be pretty different pretty quick

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
1) Gallagher: Similar numbers to Atkinson. I expect Gallagher to be around $6M - $7M range.

2) Petry: Think Muzzin and a bit more. I think Petry likes it in Montreal just as much as Muzzin in Toronto.

3) Tatar: Should be paid somewhere between Nylander and Ehlers.

4) Danault: His production numbers are up cause of who we play him with. Should be somewhere around Eller and Nelson

The issue is if any of them want a max deal which I highly doubt will happen from any team now with a flat cap. The ones to let go are Byron and Lehkonen and maybe even Armia. Rather keep Armia cause he is a big body that we need.

Term is more of a concern with me

So basically:

Gallagher: 5.875 millions. Would be a great deal.

Petry: 5.625 millions. Basically the same deal as he has right now.

Tatar: 6 to 6.962 millions. Kinda pricey, would consider cashing in at TDL but unless we get what we want, we re-sign.

Danault: 3.5 to 6 millions. That's a big range :laugh:. Hopefully in the middle (4.5-5) . 6 millions I would hesitate.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
So basically:

Tatar: 6 to 6.962 millions. Kinda pricey, would consider cashing in at TDL but unless we get what we want, we re-sign.

Danault: 3.5 to 6 millions. That's a big range :laugh:. Hopefully in the middle (4.5-5) . 6 millions I would hesitate.
Can't see Gally and Petry signing for those dollar figures. Tatar and Danault are possible.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

I won’t hold my breathe

Nope, don't hold your breath. Aside from these players asking for a trade, he's going to keep them until they're worthless and highly overpaid, because, playoffs and profit.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I believe you are incorrect on many levels, and I am not trying to trash you. Your projections for a vaccine are way off, and billionaires aren't buying NHL teams and really never have, corporations do. Unless the NHL had a NFL type of tv deal, they are going to be in big trouble. It will take years for fans to return to packed NHL arenas in the winter. People will be very leary if its the 'flu' going around, or a mutation of Covid come the winter months.

Until they provide some sort of 30 second test at the gates, its going to be a long haul. My neighbor is one of the leads on infectious disease in BC and a pretty respectable surgeon, he rolls his eyes at an Oct solution on the medical front. He thinks next summer is more of a timeline, but the good news is he also believes the regular flu will take a beating this year because of the lack of travel and people paying attention to their own symptons.

Side note - I'm a part owner in a chl team, have been for 7 years, I do not believe we will be playing hockey till next march in the WHL, which makes it a total loss for the season.
This post makes way more sense than the post it was quoting.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I think new salaries will drop by 20-25% because of COVID19 and the world economic situation
I think that there may be some very rough days ahead for the NHL, trying to get a piece of whatever it is that the post Covid world throws at us is a very uncertain reality. They do know that the Canadian market will recover and be strong but the US is another matter. With the way they have handled the outbreak, we could possibly see a scenario where it might be 2-3 years before teams/governments and fans, in general, feel secure enough to allow full arenas to watch live sporting events. The NHL is already a small player on the American sports scene and they will face enormous challenges moving forward.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
Would it? I always thought that because we are adding a team to the league some teams would see that as an opportunity for cap relief. Guess we will see soon enough.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
So basically:

Tatar is gonzo for me at that price and age, no sense keeping him

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
I believe you are incorrect on many levels, and I am not trying to trash you. Your projections for a vaccine are way off, and billionaires aren't buying NHL teams and really never have, corporations do. Unless the NHL had a NFL type of tv deal, they are going to be in big trouble. It will take years for fans to return to packed NHL arenas in the winter. People will be very leary if its the 'flu' going around, or a mutation of Covid come the winter months.

Until they provide some sort of 30 second test at the gates, its going to be a long haul. My neighbor is one of the leads on infectious disease in BC and a pretty respectable surgeon, he rolls his eyes at an Oct solution on the medical front. He thinks next summer is more of a timeline, but the good news is he also believes the regular flu will take a beating this year because of the lack of travel and people paying attention to their own symptons.

Side note - I'm a part owner in a chl team, have been for 7 years, I do not believe we will be playing hockey till next march in the WHL, which makes it a total loss for the season.
I hear the same thing in my circles. An initial January vaccine but only available in low quantities and more of a major rollout of a vaccine into the end of spring/beginning of next summer. It’s unlikely fans return to games next season, maybe for playoffs if delayed and testing procedures are updated. I see no way of moving that many people in and out for a timed event while maintaining social distancing.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Alzner is the last of our concern. Our concern should be all of Petry, Danault, Gallagher and Tatar asking between 6.5 and 7 millions and honestly they would be dumb not to ask this amount. Maybe 1 or 2 of them will sign for 6 but i don't see any of them signing under 6. I hope we wont have a repeat of take it or leave it if you want loyalty buy a dog cause this time it will be even more awful than the first time.

The team is awful, why would you bring back the same players? They should move on from everyone other than Gallagher (depending what he wants).

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I hear the same thing in my circles. An initial January vaccine but only available in low quantities and more of a major rollout of a vaccine into the end of spring/beginning of next summer. It’s unlikely fans return to games next season, maybe for playoffs if delayed and testing procedures are updated. I see no way of moving that many people in and out for a timed event while maintaining social distancing.

I'm relying more on a treatment than an actual 100% effective vaccine, personally.

The Montreal Coronary Institute has a promising lead on a cheap medication that has no patent protection and has been used successfully in treating for infarctus cases to prevent repeat occurrences.

Essentially, it's an anti-inflammatory drug that has shown promise in a local, double blind test and been repeated by researchers in Greece (although the sample size was limited in the low hundred). 80% of cases using the medication never made it past simple cold symptoms, controlling the level of complications and severely reducing the odds of things degenerating, especially to the level of death.

A further trial with 1300 human subjects has been approved and the Institute has recruited patients in hot spots across the US Europe and elsewhere to be able to provide further results by the end of August.

If results of the test are conclusive, the drug (at a buck a dose) could be used to treat the virus as early as late August or early September.

No guarantees but, IMHO, a treatment will make a return to a new normal more likely earlier than a quick vaccine.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think new salaries will drop by 20-25% because of COVID19 and the world economic situation
Yes, the sports world will be effected by this big time......all sports will have to have some sort of a re-set when it comes to salaries....let's hope the bone head owners will follow suit, on their ticket prices, I know I know.....lol

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

So according to some of the leaks of the new CBA, the Salary Cap will remain flat until the revenues reach $4.8B. So it might be a few years or less. The $4.8B is what they were projecting to be the revenue this year before it all stopped.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

So according to some of the leaks of the new CBA, the Salary Cap will remain flat until the revenues reach $4.8B. So it might be a few years or less. The $4.8B is what they were projecting to be the revenue this year before it all stopped.

We’ll see, with the formula below it could be awhile before the cap goes up significantly.

Once HRR rebounds to $4.8 billion, the upper limit will be calculated using a new formula that relies on the actual HRR from two seasons ago, plus the projected HRR from the immediately prior season.

Details emerge on expected new NHL agreement - TSN.ca

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad