Salary Cap: New Salary Cap to Habs Advantage (Possible 81.5M for next 3 seasons)

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Some say the Habs could offer sheet Dunn from the Blues? Do you guys think he will do this again?

A flat cap has the Blues in trouble, so...............

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Some say the Habs could offer sheet Dunn from the Blues? Do you guys think he will do this again?

A flat cap has the Blues in trouble, so...............

With Pietrangelo to sign and with only $2M in cap space, they will definitely need to make moves. I'd be surprised if MB goes for another OS this year, though.

Reactions: BLONG7

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
With Pietrangelo to sign and with only $2M in cap space, they will definitely need to make moves. I'd be surprised if MB goes for another OS this year, though.

Don't see why GM's don't do OS as often,it's smart and it's a win win in a sense. Throw the dice and end up with a solid player,if not,forces GM's to react faster than they would like,handcuffing them to a degree. At least might end up with a solid proven player opposed to getting lucky with the draft.

Reactions: Goal Caufield

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal

Saw this also on tsn.ca:

> Salary cap: The salary cap’s upper limit will be frozen for 2020-21 at $81.5 million and remain there until hockey-related revenue returns to $4.8 billion - the amount projected for this 2019-20 season before the pandemic hit.
Once HRR rebounds to $4.8 billion, the upper limit will be calculated using a new formula that relies on the actual HRR from two seasons ago, plus the projected HRR from the immediately prior season.

Could really benefit the Habs if they can somehow dump Price and go all in with a kid like Primeau on a ELC contract.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Could be a great advantage if the team spend to the cap but since MB always stay 7-8M below to keep Geoff happy its a moot point

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
When you shoot for a home run on the RFA market, there is a zero percent success rate for poaching said players.

There is limited success on the mid tier guys, but they just end up being overpaid guys that don't move the needle to a meaningful extent in regards to team success.

As much flack that MB gets on the aho offer, I think he was at a point where he struck out on his other plans. But he still had cap space, and he targeted a smaller team with a relatively unknown owner who was slimming his management, and being extremely stingy on GM compensation.

In those circumstances, I see no harm in taking a shot at a significant player, but the RFA route will always be a long shot to the point where it should never really be a primary strategic tactic. It's more of a play when you exhaust your other alternatives, and you have the cap space to throw a hail Mary.

Reactions: Old Drunk Guy

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
When you shoot for a home run on the RFA market, there is a zero percent success rate for poaching said players.

There is limited success on the mid tier guys, but they just end up being overpaid guys that don't move the needle to a meaningful extent in regards to team success.

As much flack that MB gets on the aho offer, I think he was at a point where he struck out on his other plans. But he still had cap space, and he targeted a smaller team with a relatively unknown owner who was slimming his management, and being extremely stingy on GM compensation.

In those circumstances, I see no harm in taking a shot at a significant player, but the RFA route will always be a long shot to the point where it should never really be a primary strategic tactic. It's more of a play when you exhaust your other alternatives, and you have the cap space to throw a hail Mary.
If the Habs did actually managed to land Aho, I think the team would have been in a different position with 3 players tied up for more than 25 million on the cap.

The Habs now have a chance at landing a legitimate franchise player. They lose to the Pens and they either draft first or ninth. It could have been a lot worse. People are now claiming the NHL rigged all this for the Habs to draft Lafrenière in Montréal. If this actually happens, this would be the most exciting moment to happen to this town since God knows when. We just have to wait and see what actually unfolds and if the season resumes as planned.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Don't see why GM's don't do OS as often,it's smart and it's a win win in a sense. Throw the dice and end up with a solid player,if not,forces GM's to react faster than they would like,handcuffing them to a degree. At least might end up with a solid proven player opposed to getting lucky with the draft.

I'm not sure it's smart at all. As much as this is a competitive sport, you need to work with the rest of the GMs, and pissing them off does not help your team in any way shape or form.
Throwing offer sheets around every year isn't a smart strategy. You also don't really cripple the team because if they can't afford it, they can simply trade the player or accept the compensation. Given how much you need to overpay in order to land a player via offer sheeting, you might end up screwing yourself not only from a cap point but also on the compensation front.

I think it's pretty clear why there's simply not that many OS being signed, it's just not a good strategy.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm not sure it's smart at all. As much as this is a competitive sport, you need to work with the rest of the GMs, and pissing them off does not help your team in any way shape or form.
Throwing offer sheets around every year isn't a smart strategy. You also don't really cripple the team because if they can't afford it, they can simply trade the player or accept the compensation. Given how much you need to overpay in order to land a player via offer sheeting, you might end up screwing yourself not only from a cap point but also on the compensation front.

I think it's pretty clear why there's simply not that many OS being signed, it's just not a good strategy.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to recall that many years ago, MB was aiming to offer sheet Saad when he was an RFA with Chicago. Before anything can happen there, Chicago ended up trading him to Columbus for Animisov + other pieces.

I think it was that Chicago learned that Montreal was aiming for an offer sheet. And because they were in cap trouble, they ended up trading Saad.

I could have it wrong, though.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to recall that many years ago, MB was aiming to offer sheet Saad when he was an RFA with Chicago. Before anything can happen there, Chicago ended up trading him to Columbus for Animisov + other pieces.

I think it was that Chicago learned that Montreal was aiming for an offer sheet. And because they were in cap trouble, they ended up trading Saad.

I could have it wrong, though.

Colorado also matched the offer sheet O'Reilly had signed with Calgary and moved him to Buffalo after.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Colorado also matched the offer sheet O'Reilly had signed with Calgary and moved him to Buffalo after.

Yea. I think almost every player who officially signs an offer sheet, they're matched at first, but they end up getting traded not long afterwards. So hoping somehow, Aho finds his way to Montreal. Maybe he gets traded to another team and then that team turns around and trades him to Montreal a la Hoffman (Ottawa to San Jose and on the same day, San Jose trades him to Florida).

Though Saad didn't officially sign an offer sheet. He was traded before he can sign one. He was only able to sign one on July 1st as an RFA. Chicago traded him to Columbus the day before on June 30th.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Right! so the strategy MB has been doing has been beneficial!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yea. I think almost every player who officially signs an offer sheet, they're matched at first, but they end up getting traded not long afterwards. So hoping somehow, Aho finds his way to Montreal. Maybe he gets traded to another team and then that team turns around and trades him to Montreal a la Hoffman (Ottawa to San Jose and on the same day, San Jose trades him to Florida).

Though Saad didn't officially sign an offer sheet. He was traded before he can sign one. He was only able to sign one on July 1st as an RFA. Chicago traded him to Columbus the day before on June 30th.

I guess we will see what the NHL does. If the cap remains at 81M for the next 3 seasons, we only have 4.5M off the books now. Domi will want a raise, he's at 3.1M. Let's say he gets a bridge deal for 4.5M, that leaves 3M, Weise and chump change comes off, that's not going to give us a lot of room, and the year after we have Tatar-Gallagher-Petry-Danault-Armia to handle and they're all UFAs, then there's also Poehling and KK who will be RFAs. There is no way he will be able to fit the same roster under 81M cap after next season...
Our team isn't particularly in a great position. We have aging vets who we should be moving away from within a year, but the guys behind them aren't better nor ready. That's why some wanted to move those guys now or even last year, get rid of them, tank properly because the current group of prospects is probably not going to be a whole lot better than what we previously had.

Bergevin will need to be creative and that is probably the last thing he is. I'm not very hopeful.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Who would you like to see Bergevin target via an offer sheet:

a) Mathew Barzal, C, NYI
b) Ryan Strome, C, NYR
c) Anthoney DeAngelo, RD, NYR
d) Sam Reinhart, C, BUF
e) Pierre-Luc Dubois, LW, CLB
f) Andre Burakovsky, LW, COL
g) Anthony Cirelli, C, TBL
h) Mikhail Sergachev, LD, TBL
i) Anthony Mantha, RW, Det
j) Other (i.e.: Gaudette, Kunin, Roslovic, Bertuzzi, Virtanen, DeBrusk, Lebanc, Terry, Brown, Pulock, Graves, Dunn, Georgiev)
k) None

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002

even if kinda agree it’s important to note that Offer sheet were NEVER meant to steal a player from Team A to Team B. It was a mechanicism to help teams retain their players while allowing the player to make sure that is properly compensated by having the chance to see the open market. The AHO OS is exactly how OS is suppose to work.

carolina low ball aho
Aho signed OS
carolina match
Aho still an hurricane but got what he deserved.

to succeed an OS you need to overpaid and overbid and it’s rarely a good deal.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017

a) Mathew Barzal, C, NYI
b) Ryan Strome, C, NYR
d) Sam Reinhart, C, BUF
j) Other (i.e.: Gaudette, Kunin, Roslovic, Bertuzzi, Virtanen, DeBrusk, Lebanc, Terry, Brown, Pulock, Graves, Dunn, Georgiev)
k) None
The only guy we should be targeting is marked in the wrong position lol

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

a) Mathew Barzal, C, NYI
b) Ryan Strome, C, NYR
d) Sam Reinhart, C, BUF
k) None

I'm fine going after any/all players that make sense in RFA - but none of those names are anywhere near as attractive as last year's crop to me.

I'd have gone 4 1sts easily for Matthews if he had made it to July 1st.
At least ~4-5 other names I seriously, seriously considered going so high for, but at the very least would have come close (Marner, Point, Ranta, Laine, etc).

There's no one from this year that is worth quite so high in my opinion. I'd definitely do 2 1sts for Barzal - but I wouldn't do 4, and I don't think 2 firsts does it (NY matches).

Next year there will be much better names. Dahlin/EP/Makar/Hughes. Those are the type of names i'd want to see us go all-in for.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sit back and let other GM's call us. Cap space will be the most valuable thing in the next year or so. Let other GM's drown and get desperate before we get serious about spending a dime of our cap space.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
even if kinda agree it’s important to note that Offer sheet were NEVER meant to steal a player from Team A to Team B. It was a mechanicism to help teams retain their players while allowing the player to make sure that is properly compensated by having the chance to see the open market. The AHO OS is exactly how OS is suppose to work.

carolina low ball aho
Aho signed OS
carolina match
Aho still an hurricane but got what he deserved.

to succeed an OS you need to overpaid and overbid and it’s rarely a good deal.

You might have to overpay today,but it will be a bargain down the road. Notice how UFA's are more often overpaid from the get go and it ages poorly on top of that.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

a) Mathew Barzal, C, NYI
b) Ryan Strome, C, NYR
d) Sam Reinhart, C, BUF
k) None

Option K

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

a) Mathew Barzal, C, NYI
b) Ryan Strome, C, NYR
d) Sam Reinhart, C, BUF
k) None
We know MB had a major hard on for PLD his draft year, could see a push for him if anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad