Salary Cap: New Salary Cap to Habs Advantage (Possible 81.5M for next 3 seasons)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who would you like to see Bergevin target via an offer sheet:

a) Mathew Barzal, C, NYI
b) Ryan Strome, C, NYR
c) Anthoney DeAngelo, RD, NYR
d) Sam Reinhart, C, BUF
e) Pierre-Luc Dubois, LW, CLB
f) Andre Burakovsky, LW, COL
g) Anthony Cirelli, C, TBL
h) Mikhail Sergachev, LD, TBL
i) Anthony Mantha, RW, Det
j) Other (i.e.: Gaudette, Kunin, Roslovic, Bertuzzi, Virtanen, DeBrusk, Lebanc, Terry, Brown, Pulock, Graves, Dunn, Georgiev)
k) None

Sergachev or Dunn are the only realistic options in terms of cap crunching the other team real bad and addressing the Habs needs. Cirelli is a real threat to sign a offer sheet as well. But in both Sergachev and Cirelli's case, you better offer a lot cause you need to offset the taxes between Montreal and Tampa... otherwise, they won't sign it. So Dunn might be the best probability. But if you are going to pry him away, will less than $4.2M do it? Doubt that. Then you get to the $4.2M - $6.3M range and that will cost 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Why not just trade for Leddy with $1.5M retention and give them a 2nd and two 4th's? Chiarot and Leddy would be a good bridge to Romanov, Harris, Norlinder, Struble.

- Islanders and Blue Jackets will keep Barzal and PLD.
- Strome, DeAngelo, Reinhart, Burakovsky, Mantha won't work unless you overpay in get real desperate. I don't see that happening.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Smartest thing is to sit on our cap we don't know what is going to happen with our young players and if they do break out they need to get paid and I rather have the available cap ready on hand then to force a trade where we get very little value back. I would actually talk to Domi and sign him on a 5m a year deal and if he doesn't like it I would put him on the block. We really don't have the luxury of playing nice when this flat cap is staying for at least 3 seasons. A lot of teams fan bases right now don't know how truly they are screwed because they haven't accounted for there young players breaking out if it happens AND you need some cap space in case of injury. We are in a really good spot right now and as much crap MB gets he has positioned us in a real good place when/if the expansion happens as we have a lot of players with big contracts coming off the books. We just really need to stay patient and if a player with real good potential falls onto our lap we pull the trigger obviously.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I moved my pension to GIC back in March. I've actually made 2% rate of return in the last few months. Coming back into the market next March or earlier. No way I was going to take a 30% hit due to Covid. Trump has been pumping money into the stock market to create stability but that can't go on for a year.

Some teams are going to struggle big time if there are no fans or limited fans in the seats next year. Season projected to start in December or January so a lot can happen in the next 6 months

I got lucky and dumped my investment portfolio into a few really good stocks. I'm selling before the US election, I don't feel good either way whoever gets the nod. I mean the current administration has been good for my stocks, but the division in the US is just out of hand. If Biden gets in, I Feel his policies can change at the drop of a hat, and he would cater to any special interest group like the rest of them. So I'm heavily invested into the mineral market, and I'll back out by Oct and go cash for a year, don't feel like riding this out much longer.

Its not much better here up north, we keep printing money like there is no tomorrow. The average fan is losing interest in pro sports, the diehard may still be waiting anxiously but I doubt he/she is running back to the arena any time soon, while handing over a ton of $$$ for a night out.

I just do not see how the NHL , a small market sport compared to the big three... I don't see how they come out of this without drastic reductions in franchises and salary caps.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

The cap will remain at $81.5 million until hockey-related revenue surpasses $3.3 billion for the previous season. The salary cap won't rise more than $1 million until HRR reaches $4.8 billion unless the NHL and NHLPA mutually agree to inflate it in excess of $1 million.
Once HRR reaches $4.8 billion, the cap could increase by $2 million per season and transition to a formula-based calculation for establishing the cap for the 2023-24 season and beyond. As an example, the 2023-24 salary cap would be calculated using HRR results from 2021-22 and 2022-23.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I got lucky and dumped my investment portfolio into a few really good stocks. I'm selling before the US election, I don't feel good either way whoever gets the nod. I mean the current administration has been good for my stocks, but the division in the US is just out of hand. If Biden gets in, I Feel his policies can change at the drop of a hat, and he would cater to any special interest group like the rest of them. So I'm heavily invested into the mineral market, and I'll back out by Oct and go cash for a year, don't feel like riding this out much longer.

Its not much better here up north, we keep printing money like there is no tomorrow. The average fan is losing interest in pro sports, the diehard may still be waiting anxiously but I doubt he/she is running back to the arena any time soon, while handing over a ton of $$$ for a night out.

I just do not see how the NHL , a small market sport compared to the big three... I don't see how they come out of this without drastic reductions in franchises and salary caps.

short blockchain but go long in the presidential debates having me cry tears of laughter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->