Music: New Metallica Album "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct" out November 18

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Liked everything I've heard so far...Confusion probably the least favorite of the ones I've heard. Only listening to them as they're released today

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
The album is just 6/10 for me on first listen. I'm confused after reading interviews with James saying that he though the past few records were under-produced and many songs were too long, only to have a good five or six 7-8 minute songs on here that could easily have been improved were the ****** parts cut out and the run times reduced to 5 minutes. So far the best tracks IMHO are Here Comes Revenge and Moth Into Flame, and even those aren't great start to finish. A bunch of others have good choruses or breaks, but crap verses, and vice versa. Too many promising songs are ruined because they go off track and do the "heavy for heavy's sake" thing (Am I Savage, Halo on Fire, etc) instead of following the superior mellower melody. Spit Out the Bone is their best effort at reclaiming the Master of Puppets/Justice sound, yet not quite as memorable as any of the tracks on those. Dream No More has the most pointless and horrible intro of any Metallica song ever, and after that sounds like a half-assed Alice In Chains impersonation. Seems like it's another 60% filler album like Death Magnetic and St. Anger were, where I'll probably only listen to four or five tracks and skip the rest.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Haven't gotten the chance to do a full listen yet, but so far my favorite tracks are "Moth Into Flame" and "Now That We're Dead"...I listened to a bit of "Spit Out the Bone" on the way into work, but didn't quite resonate with me the way it has with other people, but I'll give it another go when I get the chance later tonight.

I will say that there SEEMS to be some slower (yet still heavy) more "melodic" stuff in this, and that's where I think Metallica really shines.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I'm up to Am I Savage (probably my least favorite song so far). The album feels like a mixture of TBA and Load which I do like the sound of overall. The only thing is that I don't really feel like many of the songs really pop out as memorable songs. I'd probably have to give it another listen to really see how I feel about it overall.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
From what I have listened to, I like Dream No More, Spit out the Bone, Confusion, Atlas, Rise!, and Now That We're Dead.

Edit: Also enjoyed Murder One, and Here Comes Revenge

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Bought it this morning. The 3-CD Deluxe addition is really cheap. Excited to give it a spin tonight before class.

Here's to hoping it's more memorable than Death Magnetic which was decent as background music or a once through listen, but had no memorable songs.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
It's surprisingly good. Some parts sound like some sort of amalgamation of Justice and Load, which is fine by me since those are my two favorite Metallica records. There are a few stinkers though and some of the lyrics are pretty bad, but it's a step up from Death Magnetic.

6.5/10

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Loving the album so far, listened through it 3 times now...top songs for me are Hardwired, Now that We're Dead, Moth into Flame, Dream No More, Here Comes Revenge and Spit out the Bone. Only songs that are meh to me are Murder One and Am I Savage.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I can't take anyone who uses the term "butt rock" seriously.

As for my view, damn good album. Probably their most consistent effort in years. Love the vibes it gives from every album. Hearing throwbacks to the criminally underrated Load, some thrashers and some heavy slabs of metal is what I want to hear.

9/10. Docked a mark for the start of Halo on Fire being a little rough, but that song gets good quickly and the rest is excellent.

Augscura

Oct 3, 2009
Prince George, BC
I can't take anyone who uses the term "butt rock" seriously.

As for my view, damn good album. Probably their most consistent effort in years. Love the vibes it gives from every album. Hearing throwbacks to the criminally underrated Load, some thrashers and some heavy slabs of metal is what I want to hear.

9/10. Docked a mark for the start of Halo on Fire being a little rough, but that song gets good quickly and the rest is excellent.

Lets be honest here, you wouldn't have taken me seriously anyways due to me rating an album you like with a negative score. ;)

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
A sign of how old I'm getting...I don't even know where to look for the leak, and at this point I guess I'm just gonna wait for when the album is released on Friday (I already have the Deluxe 3CD one on pre-order).

Sirius radio has a station dedicated to Metallica this week(channel 40) and obviously some of the songs on the new album were played back on Wednesday.
Only heard 2 of the songs so far Moth to Flame and Dream No More. Love them both. will be buying the new album shortly.

Telecaster

Aug 18, 2005
Stockholm
Last nights gig from House of Vans, London up for another 6 days on YT.

Begins after 17 minutes in.

17:16 Breadfan
21:24 The Four Horsemen
26:31 Battery
32:00 Sad But True
41:06 Fade To Black
49:27 Atlas Rise!
56:31 Harvester Of Sorrow
1:04:04 Moth Into Flame
1:11:28 One
1:18:57 Master Of Puppets
1:27:35 For Whom The Bell Tolls
1:32:45 Enter Sandman
1:43:15 Whisky In The Jar
1:49:28 Hardwired
1:54:08 Seek and Destroy

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Listend to the album twice. Opinion: It's slightly better than Death Magnetic and has a few highs, but overall it's a really good EP/Live Disc.

On to individual songs; I like Hardwired despite the "silly" lyrics, Atlas is probably the best track on the album, Moth is good, Halo is mostly good it reminds me of what Pantera would probably sound like now if they were making a ballad, and Spit Out The Bone..that song doesn't have a lot of heart (it's almost like "hey we're gonna play fast because we have to play a fast song, Lars does his double bass drum thing he's been doing for thirty years) but it has a good tempo and Trujillo has a nice little fuzz bass part...let him do more.

Now That We're Dead is interesting..it has moments, the drum part is weird, those toms sounds like a giant spider is crawling towards the listener.

Disc 2 really dragged down the album. Most of it is boring and doesn't do anything. There are also parts where they use the same musical themes or repertoire they've been doing for 20-25 years. First track goes into the Am I Evil rhythm immediately. Many riffs on disc 2 or riffs just because they're heavy and don't add much to the tracks.

Lords Of Summer is very good as it's included on the Deluxe Addition.

Kirk Hammet barely plays on this album and when he does, it's a rehash of a solo he did 25 years ago.

So it has it's moments and it seems like Fidelman was agreeable to work with, but the next time the band decides to make an album let Trujillo write or at least collaborate more on the tracks. You have a top-3 funk/rock bass player in the world, use him and don't ave hm sound like a watered down Newsted which he does on this record, and let Hammett play a little more. Also go back to songs with dynamics and time signature changes. They should work with someone like Brendan O'Brien or Matt Bayles who will really add more to the arrangements.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So I guess "Hardwired" is going to be apart of the setlist for the upcoming Worldwired tour...ugh.

I just don't like the song, thought it was very canned and done without much thought (which if Lars is to be believed in an interview he gave shortly after, that's pretty much right on the nose). Would really love to continue seeing "Atlas, Rise!" and "Moth Into Flame" on those setlists, along with "Now That We're Dead".

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Holy ****, this is so much better

zYwYlzc.jpg

But all those old tones are so raw..and dirty...and they drown everything out. They sound like a bunch of guys playing instruments and having fun. That's no way to make an album.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
It will never happen, but I'd love it if they did an instrumental album and just said **** it to lyrics. James was never a great singer, but age is just making it worse and worse for him.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
The three singles best of the bunch. Not a single great song. Lacking in melodies and riffs. Not a horrible album, but just sounds like they just out of ideas like past couple decades.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
ManUnKind is my favorite song on the album. Above average overall but the structure of the songs eventually gets very redundant. And the snare rolls please stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad