Music: New Metallica Album "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct" out November 18

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
This is the dumbest thing I have ever read.

Hit the Lights
Whiplash
Fight Fire With Fire
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Trapped Under Ice
Battery
Damage Inc.
Harvester of Sorrow
Dyers Eve
Enter Sandman
Sad But True
Of Wolf and Man
The God that Failed
Until it Sleeps
King Nothing
Fuel
Devil's Dance
Sweet Amber
My Apocalypse

All under 6 minutes and if you think these are garbage, idk what to tell you lol.

OK if he put 5 instead of 6…but I love those you posted regardless.

ANYWAY, **** the hate. For Metallica I give it a C+. The transition from riff to riff is the only thing lacking, but that's what made Metallica's first four albums second to none. Their worst still beats anyone else's best.

Hey where did y'all get the album? I had to drive 20 minutes IN SOUTH FLORIDA to find a ****ing record store (Radioactive Records) for all the midnight stuff. Seems the "greedy ********" were right about defending record companies…maybe some people might recognize it as a way to view how our society is changing for the worse, as our freedom of speech is disappearing little by little. Probably not though.

Communal Blood

Jun 1, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Not very good. It's their 'best' release since The Black Album, but that isn't saying very much.

"I’d been trying to come up with a word that would adequately describe my feeling towards this song, I knew it was there, but it kept eluding me. Finally, I got it: it’s ‘stock’. Stock riffing, stock imagery, stock attitude, stock lyrics. Seriously, if there ever was a Metal Song Generator™, once you included ‘thrash’ as a prerequisite, it would spew out something like this."

This quote from metal-archives is fairly accurate regarding the album.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ya great album overall the more I listen to it, a few lower points but mostly great songs that I have liked to listened to over and over so far. Better than Death Magnetic and St-Anger for sure and at least as good as the black album, Load and Re-Load but then again I liked those albums especially the first two of the three.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
1. And Justice For All 9/10
2. Master Of Puppets 9/10
3. Metallica 8/10
4. Load 7/10
5. Ride The Lightning 7/10
6. Kill 'Em All 6/10
7. Hardwired 6/10
8. ReLoad 5/10
9. Death Magnetic 5/10
10. St. Anger 3/10

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Metallica was my favourite band growing up. They're no worse than 3rd right now depending on when you catch me. I've been eagerly anticipating this.

I've listened three times now. I have a 36 album rotation at the moment with all of the stuff that's crossed my radar in the past couple of months. So I don't even know all the songs by title yet. It's hard to judge an album so early, but if I was forced to, I'd say it's heavy and enjoyable, but the songs themselves are not great songs.

There's one song that sounds like it could have been the best song on Load. I don't know its name right now, but anyone who's listened to it more than me probably knows. It's maybe my favourite, which goes to show you I'm not in the crowd that just, by default, wants Metallica to just go back to thrash. Good songs are good songs regardless of style/genre.

Death Magnetic took a few years to really grow on me. This might do the same.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
After a couple of listens, I still believe that the best songs on the album are "Atlas, Rise!", "Now That We're Dead" (might be my favorite), and "Moth Into Flame".

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
The only songs I don't particularly care for are Murder One and Here Comes Revenge. They just don't go anywhere.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
"Atlas, Rise" is easily the best for me because it's the only one I consistently remember the name and sound of. A lot of the other songs blend together and don't stand out enough.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
1. And Justice For All 9/10
2. Master Of Puppets 9/10
3. Metallica 8/10
4. Load 7/10
5. Ride The Lightning 7/10
6. Kill 'Em All 6/10
7. Hardwired 6/10
8. ReLoad 5/10
9. Death Magnetic 5/10
10. St. Anger 3/10

1. Ride The Lightning 9.5/10
2. Master of Puppets 9/10
3. Kill em All 9/10
4. Metallica 8/10
5. And Justice for all 8/10
6. Hardwired 7/10
7. Load 6/10
8. Reload 6/10
9. Death Magnetic 6/10
10. St-Anger 2/10

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
1. Ride The Lightning 9.5/10
2. Master of Puppets 9/10
3. Kill em All 9/10
4. Metallica 8/10
5. And Justice for all 8/10
6. Hardwired 7/10
7. Load 6/10
8. Reload 6/10
9. Death Magnetic 6/10
10. St-Anger 2/10
Bump Justice up to a 9.5 and this would pretty much be my exact list as well. (with the exception of Hardwired, as I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet)

Communal Blood

Jun 1, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Ride the Lightning 9.5/10
Kill em All 9/10
Master of Puppets 9/10
...And Justice for All 8/10
Metallica 7/10
Hardwired 4.5/10
Death Magnetic 4/10
Load 4/10
Reload 4/10
St. Anger 2/10

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I'll play.

Ride the Lightning
Master of Puppets/Kill em All/...And Justice for all (can't order 'em)
Metallica
Hardwired
Death Magnetic
Load
Reload
St. Anger

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
MOP/AJFA
Ride The Lightning
Metallica
Kill em All
Hardwired
Load
Death Magnetic
Reload
St. Anger

My opinion may vary depending on the day haha

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I would say a majority opinion that Hardwired ranks favorably in the middle tier is an accomplishment for them.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I want to kind of defend St. Anger a little bit. Yes it's not a good album, but there are a few songs on it I do love, like Frantic, Some Kind of Monster, Shoot Me Again, and Purify. In terms of ranking the albums

Ride the Lightning
Master of Puppets
Justice
Metallica
Kill 'Em All
Load/ReLoad
Death Magnetic
St. Anger
That EP they brought out post Death Magnetic that had songs that felt way too long.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ride the Lightning
Kill 'Em All

Master of Puppets

...AJFA
Metallica

Hardwired

Having my finger nails removed with pliers
The rest

sabbatino

Jun 29, 2014
Vilnius
1. Ride the Lightning – the most consistent album.
2. Kill 'Em All – great songs, but something is missing.
3. Master of Puppets – for me it's Ride the Lightning Vol. 2.
4. ...and Justice for All – have they ever heard of bass?
5. Metallica – adjustment to changing trends, but something isn't right.
6. Hardwired...to Self-Destruct – in some places it's better than Metallica.
7. ReLoad – meh.
8. Load – meh Vol. 2.
9. Death Magnetic – they were trying too hard to prove something.
10. St. Anger – no comments.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
1. Master of Puppets-Perfect Metallica album. Takes what they did on the first two and masters it (no pun intended).

2. Ride The Lightning-Right up there with Master. Why it's #2 instead of #1? Little subtleties that Master did better.

3. Kill 'Em All-Love the youthful energy and intensity. Production wise the album sounds a lot more garage-y and more Stooges like (raw and muddy) than the next two, and the band was still definitely learning to craft songs and a lot of NWOBHM is still in their DNA on this album.

4. Garage Days Inc-The original five song EP is killer, the double disc from 98 had many great moments and unreleased tracks. Something for everyone.

5. ...and Justice For All-Some of the best compositions these guys ever had. The lack of audible bass, stiff drums, and sometimes the songs go a little too long and into almost a Grateful Dead or Yes territory.

6. Metallica (aka The Black Album)-This is a funny album because in 1991 it was loved, in 1995 it was loved, in 2000 it was loved. There's almost this revisionist thing going on nowadays like "hey, we have to hate this album." Truth is it's a pretty good one. Catchy tunes that are still heavy. Some of it like Don't Tread On Me has not aged well, and My Friend Of Misery...wow, they let Newsted play.

7. Load-This album gets a bad rep. A lot of catchy tracks that swing. There was definitely a weird Southern Rock thing going on with this record which is funny because they toured with COC during this period.

8. Hardwired...to Self-Destruct-First disc has 3/4 very good tracks. Second disc only the last song. Has some very strong moments but I don't know if it will hold up in 3-5 years.

9. St. Anger-Yes the drums are goofy. Some of the tracks are very good if given the chance like the title track and Dirty Window. Frantic was a minor arrangement and lyric changes away from being a classic. This album could have been a lot better if it had one person taking the bull by the horns.

10. ReLoad-Album was bland. Best thing it did was to ensure Metallica royalty checks from the NHL and NFL for decades with Fuel, not to mention car commercials. It also unintentionally reintroduced Marianne Faithful to a younger generation. She went from being known as a good folk singer/Mick Jagger's ex-g/f to the "Nah-Nah-Nah-Nah" lady or Geddy Lee and the dude from Crash Test Dummy's love child :shakehead

11. Death Magnetic-There is nothing about this album that is memorable or interesting in any way, shape or form. No songs stood the test of time. They got heavy but it doesn't go anywhere. The single was trying way too hard. And they had an Unforgiven III.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
11. Death Magnetic-There is nothing about this album that is memorable or interesting in any way, shape or form. No songs stood the test of time. They got heavy but it doesn't go anywhere. The single was trying way too hard. And they had an Unforgiven III.

Yeah, same for me.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Here's how much I'm out of the loop on new music. I literally just found out that they came out with this album 6 months ago. IDK man, I feel like at this point in my life I don't even want a new Metallica album anymore. When I do listen to them it's only 1 of their 1st 4 albums. The Black Album is ok, I like a few songs off of Load, 2 songs off of Reload, and nothing off of St. Anger, or Death magnetic. Garage Inc. is pretty good, but I haven't listened to that in over a decade.

That said the general consensus is that the album isn't that bad. Maybe if I can find the time I'll give it a listen.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Here's how much I'm out of the loop on new music. I literally just found out that they came out with this album 6 months ago. IDK man, I feel like at this point in my life I don't even want a new Metallica album anymore. When I do listen to them it's only 1 of their 1st 4 albums. The Black Album is ok, I like a few songs off of Load, 2 songs off of Reload, and nothing off of St. Anger, or Death magnetic. Garage Inc. is pretty good, but I haven't listened to that in over a decade.

That said the general consensus is that the album isn't that bad. Maybe if I can find the time I'll give it a listen.

I've LONG been the same way. If I catch a new song and it sounds good, I'll check out the rest of the album. That said, I never fully listened to ReLoad, LuLu, or the new Garage Inc. I have Death Magnetic because it came w/concert tickets back in '09; it was good for a few listens but I haven't listened to any of it in a long time. I think Hardwired is better but not many songs have too much lasting power that'll make me want to keep listening on and on and on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad