Music: New Metallica Album "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct" out November 18

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Good read http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...allica-hardwired-to-self-destruct-cover-story

Looks like the album is on two cd's

Hardwired... to Self Destruct has a dozen songs, split between two CDs (for reasons of pacing — it could have fit on one). “Spit Out the Bone†is a relentless seven-minute fusillade inspired by the dangers of virtual-reality technology. “Dream No More†is a grinding nightmare that reaches back to the mythology of H.P. Lovecraft. The moral of “Now That We’re Dead†is that love endures, but only in the grave. You can guess the answer to the title of “Am I Savage?†The overall impact is bleak — the band even rejected a triumphant song that had become a live staple, “Lords of Summer,†because it didn’t fit the mood. Asked if he’s in a good place personally, Hetfield says, “Definitely not.†Then he laughs. “I’m in both places all the time, you know? But once I start thinking, it can get dark. The last song we wrote, ‘Hardwired,’ which is the opening track and the fastest one, sums it up lyrically: We’ve always been f—ed, but we survive. Every generation says ‘I feel sorry for the next generation,’ but there is a faith that you have in mankind. Most of the time.â€

For pacing? what? :laugh: Like the time it takes to remove a CD and put in the other if you're actually still using physical media?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Disc one is excellent.

Disc two is much weaker, with Spit out the Bone being the only good song (best song on the album btw).

Metallica would have been better off making it an 8 song album.

Hardwired
Atlas Rise
Now that We're Dead
Moth into Flame
Dream no More
Halo on Fire
Am I Savage?
Spit out the bone

That would have been ideal.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Disc one is excellent.

Disc two is much weaker, with Spit out the Bone being the only good song (best song on the album btw).

Metallica would have been better off making it an 8 song album.

Hardwired
Atlas Rise
Now that We're Dead
Moth into Flame
Dream no More
Halo on Fire
Am I Savage?
Spit out the bone

That would have been ideal.

Still, 8 out of 12 is not bad at all.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Still, 8 out of 12 is not bad at all.

I'm being generous with Am I Savage and Atlas Rise (they're both average tunes - the middle of Atlas aside). The other 6 are all great tunes though. Halo on Fire, Dream no More, Spit out the Bone and Now that we're Dead are all phenomenal.

Spit out the Bone will go down as a classic metallica tune. It's so good.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'm being generous with Am I Savage and Atlas Rise (they're both average tunes - the middle of Atlas aside). The other 6 are all great tunes though. Halo on Fire, Dream no More, Spit out the Bone and Now that we're Dead are all phenomenal.

Spit out the Bone will go down as a classic metallica tune. It's so good.

I refrained from being spoiled by the leak. I can't wait until Friday to hear the whole thing!!!

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Certainly the best Metallica album in years from my point of view.

Halo On Fire, Spit Out The Bone are absolutely ****ing amazing songs. Also really enjoyed the first two singles, Dream no more, Confusion and Now that we're dead.

A couple "meh" songs on the album, but for the most part I really, really enjoyed the album.

EDIT : I should clarify, it's been years since they've released an album so me saying "best album in years" isn't really saying much. :laugh: It's their best album since Black, in my view easily.

Last edited:

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I like Death Magnetic, but this album is leaps and bounds better.

Definitely a damn strong effort. I'm gonna go and say their best since the self titled as well. It's got a little bit of everything from throughout their career.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Load was a great album, I don't care what anyone says.

ReLoad had its moments, St. Anger sucked, Death Magnetic was solid if unremarkable.

Metallica really doesn't have the amount of stinkers people claim they have. The only outright awful album is St. Anger, but that was an album that had to happen to save the band.

So I do think it says something to put something out an album that can be said as their best since the self titled.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Saying it's their best since the S/T isn't saying much at all, either.

What the hell was wrong with Load? It wasn't their best effort, but it certainly wasn't a stinker by any stretch. I enjoy it, and I like a few tracks from Death Magnetic as well. Holy exaggeration batman.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
A sign of how old I'm getting...I don't even know where to look for the leak, and at this point I guess I'm just gonna wait for when the album is released on Friday (I already have the Deluxe 3CD one on pre-order).

I didn't like "Hardwired", and I felt that "Atlas, Rise" was kind of "meh". I did like "Moth Into Flame" though, thought that was very good. So I'm encouraged by multiple people all pointing to songs like "Spit Out the Bone" and "Now That We're Dead" as even better.

(And for the record--I really liked Death Magnetic, not every song mind you, but most of them...St. Anger wasn't really all that great, but it still gave us "Frantic" and "Some Kind of Monster", and I think those are great additions to Metallica's catalog)

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Took me a couple minutes with a google search to find it. I'm just going to listen to it once and then figure out if I like it enough to buy.

Last edited:

Spectaculard

What am I a fruit?
Jan 25, 2007
Montreal
I love dream no more. Overall pretty damn good album. Feels like load and death magnetic had a baby. This album is better than both imo.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I revise my previous opinion about ManUnkind. It's a passable song that is quite catchy. Confusion, here comes revenge and murder one are bad-though the pre-chorus on murder one is great.

The album is better than Death Magnetic.

Hard to say if it's better than Load and reload. If the fillers were cut out on both and made one album it be pretty fantastic.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I revise my previous opinion about ManUnkind. It's a passable song that is quite catchy. Confusion, here comes revenge and murder one are bad-though the pre-chorus on murder one is great.

The album is better than Death Magnetic.

Hard to say if it's better than Load and reload. If the fillers were cut out on both and made one album it be pretty fantastic.

I literally feel the complete opposite.:laugh: I find Confusion very catchy, and my least favorite song on the album is probably ManUnkind.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I personally love at least something in every song. Can't really say any are bad.

This album also feels more natural than Death Magnetic. DM kinda sounded like "sigh, fine, you metal elitists win, we'll do some thrashy stuff". Hardwired... to Self Destruct sounds like something they really wanted to do.

Augscura

Oct 3, 2009
Prince George, BC
This album was actually marketed so well. Release 4 thrashy songs prior to release to generate hype, then release a typical butt rock album that consists of 4 thrash songs. :laugh:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Metallica is releasing the rest of the videos for the album every 2 hours between today and tomorrow. Dream no more came out at 9am pst, next is at 11pst, etc...

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
Album is decent...not going crazy over a handfull of songs.

i listed to it almost all day yesterday while working.

eventually i was rotating between

Hardwired
Now that We're Dead
Moth into Flame
Dream no More
Halo on Fire
Spit out the bone

I'm pretty sure i'm only going to keep these 6 songs out of 12.

hardwired and spit out the bone are really really great metallica tracks. imagine the exact same track but with 86' James vocals...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad